Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
The Black Friday Thread
  Previous  1  2  3  4 16  17  18  Next

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 5:36 pm
imasoftov wrote:
So I'm wondering if people who think Thanksgiving is assur are allowed to shop on Black Friday ...

So, by that logic, Xmas shopping would be even more problematic...

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 5:37 pm
I posted a couple of ads for Oneida silverware upthread. There will probably be dishes deals in the same places. I'd keep an eye on Macys, too.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:06 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Anyone know if refrigerators go on sale now? Looking to buy one..

I haven't see their prices but AJ Madison is advertising all month long (Nov) black Friday sales with shipping nationwide.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:10 pm
imasoftov wrote:
So I'm wondering if people who think Thanksgiving is assur are allowed to shop on Black Friday ...

I never heard of anyone thinking thanksgiving is assur. Is that a real thing?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:13 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I never heard of anyone thinking thanksgiving is assur. Is that a real thing?

Some people who have researched this, say that Thanksgiving is a religious holiday.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:22 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Some people who have researched this, say that Thanksgiving is a religious holiday.

Well it’s not. You can research it all you want.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:26 pm
Thanksgiving was originally a religious holiday, but I don't think anyone celebrates it as such today....

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:33 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Well it’s not. You can research it all you want.

It's not a religious holiday today, but it did start off that way.

ez-pass

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:36 pm
Looking for razor scooters. Pool table.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:46 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
It's not a religious holiday today, but it did start off that way.

While some states had a tradition of a day of thanks, modern Thanksgiving was created at the behest and lobbying of Sarah Hale, and signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. It was not, and is not, a religious holiday.

If Thanksgiving were a religious holiday, it would be celebrated by all adherents of that religion, throughout the world. Xtians except Eastern Orthodox celebrate Xmas on December 25, for example. Not just in the US. What religion do you think that Thanksgiving is tied to? And do they celebrate outside the US? French Imamothers, British Imamothers, Australian Imamothers, any Xtians in your countries having a holiday on November 23?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:54 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
While some states had a tradition of a day of thanks, modern Thanksgiving was created at the behest and lobbying of Sarah Hale, and signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. It was not, and is not, a religious holiday.

If Thanksgiving were a religious holiday, it would be celebrated by all adherents of that religion, throughout the world. Xtians except Eastern Orthodox celebrate Xmas on December 25, for example. Not just in the US. What religion do you think that Thanksgiving is tied to? And do they celebrate outside the US? French Imamothers, British Imamothers, Australian Imamothers, any Xtians in your countries having a holiday on November 23?

Not the holiday signed by Abraham Lincoln, I meant the original holiday with the Pilgrims...

I agree, now it's not a religious holiday at all.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:56 pm
Even if it did have religious origins (which Black Friday, the original day in question, absolutely does not), does that mean I can't buy Halloween candy when it goes on sale? A Halloween costume to save for Purim? We are talking about shopping here! And if I want to eat turkey and pumpkin pie and thank Hashem I live in a free country, then what? I don't, by the way, but could. I do buy clearance candy...

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 6:57 pm
Omg- I bought a good electric sharpener on Amazon for $15 a few months ago. My kids use it.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:04 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Even if it did have religious origins (which Black Friday, the original day in question, absolutely does not), does that mean I can't buy Halloween candy when it goes on sale? A Halloween costume to save for Purim? We are talking about shopping here! And if I want to eat turkey and pumpkin pie and thank Hashem I live in a free country, then what? I don't, by the way, but could. I do buy clearance candy...

Deleted

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

L K

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:08 pm
seeker wrote:
I posted a couple of ads for Oneida silverware upthread. There will probably be dishes deals in the same places. I'd keep an eye on Macys, too.

I somehow dont see the ads. On kohls website there are 82-pc sets for $100. Is that what you are referring to, only for $50?

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:14 pm
Mommyg8, maybe I'm tired (I am) but what do you mean? I'm trying to figure out why shopping black Friday deals would be a religious thing. And even if it was, like Halloween candy from target, why can't I buy Mike n ikes in little packs?

The first recorded use of the term “Black Friday” was applied not to holiday shopping but to financial crisis: specifically, the crash of the U.S. gold market on September 24, 1869

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:17 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Mommyg8, maybe I'm tired (I am) but what do you mean? I'm trying to figure out why shopping black Friday deals would be a religious thing. And even if it was, like Halloween candy from target, why can't I buy Mike n ikes in little packs?

The first recorded use of the term “Black Friday” was applied not to holiday shopping but to financial crisis: specifically, the crash of the U.S. gold market on September 24, 1869

OMG, what in the world did I say? I'm thinking it over, I said nothing like that??? Am I like seeing things, hearing things, I must be psychotic... Or maybe I'm just really tired (which I am).

Someone asked if Black Friday shopping would be problematic, I said, in that case, Xmas shopping would be even more problematic! I thought I was making a joke, sorry if it came out wrong. I definitely do a lot of shopping in December! Or January, as the case may be. Or November! Hey, I love shopping anytime, come to think of it!

I'll delete all my posts!

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:20 pm
L K wrote:
I somehow dont see the ads. On kohls website there are 82-pc sets for $100. Is that what you are referring to, only for $50?

Probably the same ones. They said original price $159, on Black Friday (which starts Thursday I think) it will be $49. I like my Oneida silverware.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:23 pm
No Mommyg8! You didn't say anything wrong! You wrote "You've got to be kidding me" so I was explaining....
How about- new rule for this thread - only links/posts about deals or deal inquiries. Sorry seeker!

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:24 pm
OutATowner wrote:
No! You didn't say anything wrong! You wrote "You've got to be kidding me" so I was explaining....
How about- new rule for this thread - only links/posts about deals or deal inquiries. Sorry seeker!

I'm sorry too! In my defense, I was responding to an earlier poster, but yes, this is seeker's thread. Sorry, seeker! No more!
Page 3 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  4 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains