Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Help- we are clueless neighbors and want to do this right!
Previous  1  2

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
Not sports themed, this is Lakewood!

I'm well aware, but if you look at OP's follow-up post from 8:23 AM, you'll see that she said that the boy is into sports and asked if she could get him a sports-themed gift. I was also surprised, but that's what she wrote, so that's why I mentioned it.

WWG1WGA

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:53 am
Chocolate palace will deliver a beautiful platter with a gift or without. Amazing presentation, lowest prices and free delivery erectile shabbos. I use them for every simcha. She even has a web site. 732 606 7603

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:12 am
cherrypitts wrote:
Amazing presentation, lowest prices and free delivery erectile shabbos.

Interesting typo...

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:22 am
[quote="simba"]I agree that cash is impersonal.
For the Kiddush maybe you can offer to come help setup, especially if she is not having a party planner.
Re the booze. go to the local liquor/wine store and give them your budget. They will suggest something nice. Or maybe a nice cheesecake for Shabbos morning?
For the boy, I thik something sporty for a Bar Mitzva is ok if you are a friend of the child but as adults and family friends I think something Judaic would be more appropriate IMHO.
Not sure what your budget is but you can get a silver becher for under $100. Or Maybe a silver plated Menorah (Chanuka is around the corner!).

I think that's what I'm going to do. And get a gift card for the Bar Mitzvah boy. Its boring, but appropriate.

You seem like a really sweet neighbor.. wan to move to Brooklyn!?[/quote]

Thank you! Sometimes I really wish I could, but for now, Lakewood is home.

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
Interesting typo...

Oh gosh, I literally laughed out loud Very Happy

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:43 am
I used to think cash is impersonal but honestly that’s what the boys want. My husband says he got a gift cert to a judaica store and bought a bunch of schlock rock cds (remember those??) Rolling Eyes
I can recommend some bottles if you post price range..

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:50 am
Also he may get a lot of kiddush cups and menorahs. I love the stamp idea. One of my girls got that for her bat mitzvah. It was the kind that left a raised imprint.

The last bar mitzvah we gave was a matching lulav bag/esrog box.

We don’t like gift cards either but prefer to buy and give a gift receipt so that they can exchange if they want to.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:52 am
I actually did buy a gift for a friends son, bec I was very strapped for cash but it was a good friend so felt I had to give something. I had a store credit at a nice store so I bought him a designer wallet.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:01 am
Ruchel wrote:
Sport themed Menorah? HUH?

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:08 pm
Update ladies!

OK, I changed my mind. I went into Judaica store on my lunch break. There are beautiful menorahs on display! I whatsapped a hole bunch in the 40-60 dollar range to my husband so he can help me pick, and I'm going to swing by after work to buy one. I figure its exchangeable, and more personal than a gift card.

Regarding the kiddush, I think I'm going to bake... something. Not sure yet. But there isn't room in the budget for a gift and a fancy bottle of something. I love baking anyway, so should be a fun project for me and my boys this afternoon.

Thanks so much everyone for all the input and advice! I dont know why I've been sweating this so much, but talking it over here was really helpful!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:58 pm
I think cut up fruit, or a nice veggie salad is always appreciated for the ladies side. Or if you are good at baking, rugalech, connollies, mini parve cheese cakes, cream puffs, brownie bars, an array of different cookies etc.

A watch , a Parker pen with the boys name engraved on it, a wallet to keep his money he will earn, a Swiss army pocket knife thingy are all gift ideas or just a gift certificate to a seforim store $25 is decent in my circles.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 2:36 am
SixOfWands wrote:

OY.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 4:32 am
Op, what about a seforim stamp? You can order it in Judaica plaza. I wouldn’t run to buy a menorah- at 13 he might already have one
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics