Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Low pressure elementary school in lakewood- girls
1  2  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:10 pm
IS there a school that doesn't put academic pressure on the girls and still has a great frum crowd? My DD is going to bais faiga and as the years go by I see that the academic pressure is very strong. It's really too much for my DD even though I do like the school/hashkafos/teachers/// I think the workload is just too much.

giselle

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:13 pm
Bnos Bracha

benny

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 7:18 am
Bnos Bracha

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:33 am
Bais Faiga keeps the pressure low in the younger grades, and then they pick up speed as they get into the older grades. Their aim is to prepare you daughter for high school, and I have found that my girls were academically prepared when they got there.

When DD was in 9th grade, she had no academic adjustment, while my niece, who came from a lower-pressure school, found the curriculum to be very tough (and she's a very bright student). There was a gap in the education level, simply put.

Something for you to consider.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:36 pm
My girls are in bnos bracha.
I didn’t know about their academics level and obv have nothing to compare with.
Do I need to supplement their education?

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:51 pm
I send to Bnos Brocha and would not recommend it to others for this reason. The academic level is very very very low. I have no idea how kids adjust to high school.

rikki 1

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 2:56 pm
Tiferes Bais Yaakov

Pickle1

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:55 pm
I 2nd tiferes bais yaakov. they emphasize middos and being happy, good self esteem etc and the marks aren't the most important.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 4:44 pm
Amother burlywood, do you know what kids may be lacking so parents know to help them?

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:49 am
Bump

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:13 pm
My older one was in Bnos Brocha. Until she was in grade 5 I didn't know they are considered low academic. Biggest issue I see,now that she's about halfway through high school is lack of ability to speak a d understand Hebrew. She's is bh a smart girl and I feel she was initially challenged in high school because if this lack. For example, preparing various meforshim in advance for certain classes was hard. She has no clue what's going on in Ivris class . On the other hand my younger one in grade 2 filled out a Hebrew Parsha sheet 80 percent on her own. I'm very glad my younger ones switched out.

I think other subjects are also lower level in BB but smart kids can still do ok in high school.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 10:28 pm
amother burlywood wrote:
I send to Bnos Brocha and would not recommend it to others for this reason. The academic level is very very very low. I have no idea how kids adjust to high school.

amother salmon wrote:
My older one was in Bnos Brocha. Until she was in grade 5 I didn't know they are considered low academic. Biggest issue I see,now that she's about halfway through high school is lack of ability to speak a d understand Hebrew. She's is bh a smart girl and I feel she was initially challenged in high school because if this lack. For example, preparing various meforshim in advance for certain classes was hard. She has no clue what's going on in Ivris class . On the other hand my younger one in grade 2 filled out a Hebrew Parsha sheet 80 percent on her own. I'm very glad my younger ones switched out.

I think other subjects are also lower level in BB but smart kids can still do ok in high school.

Can I ask how old your daughters are, amothers salmon and burlywood? I had heard that their academics changed in recent years and I'd like to confirm if this is so.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 10:36 pm
My daughter is in 10th grade

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 10:40 pm
selete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 10:59 pm
I think they should be learning higher level thinking skills like inferencing, reasoning, logic, finding text based evidence....become thinkers, in short.

Also, being independent learners. More focus on executive function skills...

Maybe things have improved with time in BB.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
I think they should be learning higher level thinking skills like inferencing, reasoning, logic, finding text based evidence....become thinkers, in short.

Also, being independent learners. More focus on executive function skills...

Maybe things have improved with time in BB.

Things must have really changed a lot since I was in school, as I went to a pretty high level school and I don't remember any encouragement in the direction of higher level thinking...

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 11:29 pm
I wonder how to train them to do that at home...

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:28 am
L K wrote:
I am actually quite impressed with their Hebrew/Chumash skills, as well as English writing.

More concerned about general studies. Aside from English and math, what are kids supposed to get out of elementary school?

Which grades are you referring to?

L K

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
Which grades are you referring to?

5-6th. One thing I mean Hebrew skills for Chumash/navi understanding, and not spoken Hebrew.
Also, I don’t know about level in other schools

Last edited by L K on Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:01 am
"I wonder how to train them to do that at home..."

To reply to the comment above: encourage reading at home for pleasure. If your child has any weakness in decoding or comprehension, consider remediating it outside the school setting. If your child is reading on grade level , you can sign up for leveled reading websites that would provide nice articles and comprehensive questioning afterwards. I think one of those sites is called ReadWorks.

Another excellent tool for building deductive reasoning are the books sold in Creative Kids, called MIndBenders. They come in different levels. Aside from having the child receptively complete the activities, I would sit with them and have them expressively tell you the reason for the answers they chose. The company that publishes the MindBenders books is called The Critical Thinking Company. They have many excellent resources to further critical thinking skills.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics