Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Working moms with school age kids - what do you daven?
1  2  Next

working moms with school age kids - what do daven?
brachos  
 64%  [ 42 ]
shacharis  
 20%  [ 13 ]
mincha  
 3%  [ 2 ]
shacharis and mincha  
 10%  [ 7 ]
shacharis mincha maariv  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 65

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:37 am
On a typical weekday what do you daven. I daven brachos as I walk to work. On shabbos I try to daven shachris mussaf and mincha - or at least one. Whenver my three year old asks for a siddur and "davens" I feel so good...I guess I daven enough to set some sort of example for them.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:17 am
Shema and personal asking. I don't work.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:25 am
Why is there no I dont daven option?
I speak to hashem throughout the day in my words.
Shevach, bakasha and hodaah are really the only things we must say..

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
Why is there no I dont daven option?
I speak to hashem throughout the day in my words.
Shevach, bakasha and hodaah are really the only things we must say..

100%

When my baby was young I was able to daven while on the train on the way to work/daycare. But as she's gotten older she needs me to engage with her and in my view Gd wants me to be present for His precious chikdren

lfab

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:46 am
Nothing embarrassed It's a problem now that my kids are big enough and they notice. On shabbos and Sunday when I remind them to daven they sometimes ask why they have to when I don't embarrassed I know it's something I need to work on, at least on the weekends. Even if it's just brachos they should see their mother picking up a siddur and davening. I do try to speak to Hashem in my own words everyday throughout the day.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:55 am
I rarely saw my mother daven. So I make a point of davening at least shema (the one line) and shmona esrei on days they're home.
Brachos can be said by heart as you are doing other things. I try to make sure to say birkas hatorah since I do say, read and listen to some torah on most days.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:19 pm
I am Chabad, so I follow the Alter Rebbe's psak on minimum davening for a woman. Takes me about 5 minutes, sometimes a little more.

- Morning brachos
- Vayedaber (korban tomid)
- Shema Yisrael Hashem Elokeinu Hashem Echad
- Emes Veyatziv ... Baruch Ata Hashem Ga'al Yisrael
- Shemoneh Esrei

I find it makes a difference in the quality of my day so I make it a priority.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
I am Chabad, so I follow the Alter Rebbe's psak on minimum davening for a woman. Takes me about 5 minutes, sometimes a little more.

- Morning brachos
- Vayedaber (korban tomid)
- Shema Yisrael Hashem Elokeinu Hashem Echad
- Emes Veyatziv ... Baruch Ata Hashem Ga'al Yisrael
- Shemoneh Esrei

I find it makes a difference in the quality of my day so I make it a priority.

Wow, you can do all that in 5 minutes! For me, just Shemoneh Esrei takes more than 5 minutes!

rzab

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:37 pm
It took me a long time to start davening again after I had children. I went from davening 3 times a day to davening just shacaris on shabbos morning that I was able to get to shul. Eventually I started again when my oldest turned 7 a year ago. Now I daven shacaris almost every day. Any day that I can't I just end up saying brachos.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:39 pm
My busy mother( working with lots of kids and chessed projects) davens Shachris and mincha every day(!)
My mil never davens.
I try a middle ground. Brachos and shema in the morning and mincha if I have time.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:28 pm
I used to not daven. This year before RH I was inspire by rydys who I know is a busy working mother who says she davens brachos, shema, and shemone esrei every day (maybe more too, forgive me if I don't remember). Since then on most days I daven brachos, baruch she'amar, asheri, yishtabach, yotzer ohr, shema, and shemone esrei. Then I say one kappitel tehillim. I feel so productive and content when I do it.

[Some days I literally don't have time to eat before I go to work, and I leave at noon. Those are the days I make supper still in my nightgown before I make breakfast for the kids Smile So those days I might end up not getting to it.]

rydys

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
I used to not daven. This year before RH I was inspire by rydys who I know is a busy working mother who says she davens brachos, shema, and shemone esrei every day (maybe more too, forgive me if I don't remember). Since then on most days I daven brachos, baruch she'amar, asheri, yishtabach, yotzer ohr, shema, and shemone esrei. Then I say one kappitel tehillim. I feel so productive and content when I do it.

[Some days I literally don't have time to eat before I go to work, and I leave at noon. Those are the days I make supper still in my nightgown before I make breakfast for the kids Smile So those days I might end up not getting to it.]

Wow, now I feel inadequate! I'm still trying to do brachos, shma, shmone esrei and aleinu. I also say the day's tehillim and read one day from a shmiras halashon book (in English).

I will admit that on some busy days I only get in brachos, and am often catching up on tehillim and shmiras halashon on Shabbos.

amother
White

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 10:04 am
Try the siddur SHMA KOLAINU by a Rav from the Syrian community.
Anyone can use it, even though it is the SYrian nusach. It is a simple, small siddur for harried mothers, with the minimum davening to be yotzei.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 10:12 am
Ruchel wrote:
Shema and personal asking. I don't work.

I daven in my head from my heart. I don't daven from a siddur. When my kids are home I try to remember to daven with them.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 11:29 am
I say brochos, Sh'ma, and certain perakim of Tehillim, Chof for whoever needs a refuah sheleimah, my kapittel (for my age) and my mother's kapittel (cuz she's a senior citizen).
Sometimes when I have the time, I will say Tehillim for the Yom, I.e., on Friday I will say Tehillim l'yom HaShishi, etc.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 12:47 pm
modei ani ( sometimes I sing out loud) One of the perks of davening at home!
netilat yadiam
morning brachot
blessing over the Torah
Shema and V'Ahavta
and sometimes Shemonah Esrei when there is time
and lots of personal prayers all day long to Ha-shem!

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 2:16 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I daven in my head from my heart. I don't daven from a siddur. When my kids are home I try to remember to daven with them.

Whatever I do is by heart, unless it's like at shul - and even then. BH I love being a woman.

octopus

Post Sat, Nov 04 2017, 7:46 pm
Women are mechuyav in one tefillah a day. Of course that can be a personal tefillah with shevach, bakasha and hoda'ah. Shemona esrei covers that one tefillah so that is what I aim for. The more lenient opinions hold that just saying modeh ani is considered one tefillah.

salt

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 5:55 am
Shacharit but I skip a fair amount of pesukei dezimra - usually before the kids get up, at about 6am, or once I get to work.

On Shabbat I often go to shul for shacharit, and also try and get there for mincha because my DS often leyns and I like to hear him.

Also try and get some tehilim in some evenings.

ETA I don't have babies/toddlers, but do have school age kids.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:50 am
I learned shmoneh esrei is more important than brachos. That said I said both Shachris and Mincha shmoen esrei daily, but I don't have kids yet. I try to say more if I can
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics