Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What is wrong with me???

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:35 pm
I just lost my 6th job in 5 years.
I am a good employee, I work hard, I'm smart.
I just think that I have issues completing things, and finishing projects and Im disorganized and drop the ball.
So I took some online tests and decided that I may have ADHD I fit all the requirements...
So I made an appointment for a psychiatrist and I'm just a mess.
I feel so bad about myself.
Feel so dumb.
VENT

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:37 pm
ADHD does not make you dumb!!
You can be brilliant, capable and intelligent and still suffer from ADHD.
Get the help you need! You are for sure a great person!

Blessing1

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 2:25 pm
ADHD has zero to do with being dumb! In fact many brilliant genius people have ADHD!
Good luck!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 2:39 pm
Oh my goodness - I was totally there!!!!!!!!!!

I lost 10 jobs so far (maybe 9 but who's counting) in my 15 years of working. I was going to get evaluated for ADHD. I even called Relief resources in order to get the number for a psychiatrist.

Then I consulted a rabbi who said I should just ask for feedback from my bosses more often. That was helpful. I then landed some consulting roles, and I developed some more experience and some more social skills. I have now been at my current job for 3 1/2 years (my longest ever) in a permanent employee capacity and make very good money B"H. So don't worry! My bracha to you is that you will land in the right place soon with the right skills and good economy, supply/demand situation, and you will make good parnassah too.

And don't forget to give maaser.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:06 pm
I also was there. I needed a career change. I pushed myself for years to do a job I enjoyed but really was not naturally suited for and it was a disaster. I love what I am doing now and am much more successful.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:

I lost 10 jobs so far (maybe 9 but who's counting) in my 15 years of working. I was going to get evaluated for ADHD. I even called Relief resources in order to get the number for a psychiatrist.

Then I consulted a rabbi who said I should just ask for feedback from my bosses more often. That was helpful. I then landed some consulting roles, and I developed some more experience and some more social skills. I have now been at my current job for 3 1/2 years (my longest ever) in a permanent employee capacity and make very good money B"H. So don't worry! My bracha to you is that you will land in the right place soon with the right skills and good economy, supply/demand situation, and you will make good parnassah too.

Lucky you pulled yourself together to get even one job! 9??!! Wow.
I can't
Help
embarrassed

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:

Can you share how you asked for feedback from your bosses? And how often?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 5:46 pm
I have ADHD, but I was diagnosed as a child. Here are my suggestions:

Don't self diagnose, get evaluated! This will help you find out what your weak points are and who to turn to next.

If you do have ADHD:

Try reading the book "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!". Great book for adults diagnosed with ADHD

Get an ADHD coach - they can help you learn the skills you are missing so you can succeed

Consider medication. Make an appt with a psychiatrist for a consultation at least to discuss medications, then decide after that if you want to try.

Most importantly, you are not bad or dumb or anything else negative. You have your own strengths and weaknesses and you have to learn to work with them and build them up.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:01 pm
Good luck! I didn't have issues with jobs b"h (pure luck).
I also took an online test a few weeks ago. And then right afterwards made an appointments at a neurologist. Medicaid pays for it. I was diagnosed with a highest level of ADHD. They prescribed me 10 milligrams Adderall. It was a lifesaver for me. I can't believe I didn't do it until now.
I'm coming home from my next appointment now. They put me on 20 milligrams for now.
I hope you get helped as me!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 7:21 pm
I was in the same situation. Finally after losing job after job I just started my own business.

I'm not making as much as I used to but I have more time for my children and aren't getting fired.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:40 pm
I'm so sorry for you...
I was diagnosed 2 years ago with ADHD
Honestly the diagnosis SUCKS. I have so many capabilities and I felt like such a failure. I constantly felt like I'm not living up to my potential. I always tried so hard and I and I never felt like I'm on the right track.
After I got myself evaluated and diagnosed I went for therapy and taking adderal. My life made a 360 degree turn. I am so grateful to Hashem every day that I wake up and I have clean laundry and I can see the color if my floor!
I truly hope you won't let you get this down. Recognize the effort you put in even though it's so terribly hard for you. See how many times you were put down and you woke up the next day and started over.
Hopefully by realizing that you might have ADHD you can start the journey to learn to live with it productively.
Good luck!

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 1:34 am
I just want to put this out there... it’s great you’re getting professionally evaluated. I suspected I had ADHD a few years ago after struggling professionally and academically. The psychologist did a bunch of tests over a few days. The very first test showed a profile that was completely in line with ADHD, but he said one test result is inconclusive on its own. After all the test results were in he told me it’s NOT ADHD, and diagnosed it as a completely different issue. Thank God I’ve been able to treat that other issue and I’m doing much much better now for years. It’s always good to get checked out by someone who does this professionally, is well trained, and knows their stuff. Good luck!

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 8:40 am
Peach: how do I go about finding a neurologist for ADHD testing?
I am in Brooklyn.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
Good luck! I didn't have issues with jobs b"h (pure luck).
I also took an online test a few weeks ago. And then right afterwards made an appointments at a neurologist. Medicaid pays for it. I was diagnosed with a highest level of ADHD. They prescribed me 10 milligrams Adderall. It was a lifesaver for me. I can't believe I didn't do it until now.
I'm coming home from my next appointment now. They put me on 20 milligrams for now.
I hope you get helped as me!

Why did you go to a neurologist vs psychiatrist? That's whom I have an appointment with on Monday...

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 03 2017, 9:13 am
amother wrote:

I DO ask my bosses for feedback and its always positive or at least 90% positive for like 6-8 months and then one day Im just being called into the office which is so frustrating. And I know deep down its cuz for the last month or so I've been dropping the ball...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics