Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Larry David insensitive
1  2  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 5:44 pm

From about minute 3:48 all the way to the end
Where is the line between being allowed to laugh at yourself and being utterly insensitive?

ETA: and it is obvious he knows he is treading on thin ice as he doesn't seem so smooth saying those things

Changed title! OOPS

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:23 pm
No video. Are you referring to Larry David the comedian and writer?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:29 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
No video. Are you referring to Larry David the comedian and writer?

Yes from SNL monologue last night and I posted youtube link. Doesnt work? Here again
https://youtu.be/G0eeNijdv3I

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:30 pm
I didn't find it funny at all.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:43 pm
He is insensitive. It's his style: rude, crude, unfiltered. And I often find him hilarious, even on delicate subjects. But this wasn't even funny. Bad choice of material.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:46 pm
Is this Larry David's Michael Richards moment?

Fox

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:59 pm
Things have been on a downhill course, albeit a zig-zag one, since "Jane, you ignorant sl*t" ceased to be an all-purpose retort.

Aside: does anybody remember the time a few of us, ahem, more mature Imamothers referenced that line to the shock of younger members? Posts were being reported left and right, and we had to try to explain why we -- or anybody -- would find that funny. Some things from the 70s just can't be explained!

Jeanette

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:15 pm
His Bernie Sanders impression is hilarious but I don't find him that Funny otherwise. This joke was in poor taste.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:20 pm
I actually find Larry david hilarious, but some things you just don't joke about...

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:34 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I actually find Larry david hilarious, but some things you just don't joke about...

I just finished binge watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and can't count how many times I laughed out loud. Yes, it's crude and vulgar and oh so funny. Larrys character is always up to showing his absolutely worst side. TBS this monologue was meh and the holocaust joke tasteless.

I hope Larry figures it out, suffers from some Jewish guilt and donates a bundle to a good Jewish cause.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:38 pm
This was just nisht.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:46 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I just finished binge watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and can't count how many times I laughed out loud. Yes, it's crude and vulgar and oh so funny. Larrys character is always up to showing his absolutely worst side. TBS this monologue was meh and the holocaust joke tasteless.

I hope Larry figures it out, suffers from some Jewish guilt and donates a bundle to a good Jewish cause.

Lol. My husband watches curb your enthusiasm every. Single. Night. Sometimes I join. My personal favorite is Leon (aka jb smoove) I am obsessed with him!!!!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:50 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Lol. My husband watches curb your enthusiasm every. Single. Night. Sometimes I join. My personal favorite is Leon (aka jb smoove) I am obsessed with him!!!!

I love Leon, he sometimes seems to be the only adult on the show.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 11:56 pm
Horrible "jokes".

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 6:23 am
I am glad you all agree. Somehow I thought I was being overly sensitive. You can see he himself is cringing saying it as if to say "I know I will get bashed for it but I still dare."
I find it not only tasteless but horrifying that one can make such lewd jokes about the worst times our grandparents went through.
And no, this is not equivalent with a black person saying the n-word...sad that this is what the comedy world allows.
Thing is, I dont know who wrote these "jokes" . Was it Larry himself or one of the SNL writers? Doesn"t this condemn the entire SNL? (Though I love watching it)

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:32 am
It was an awful set. Even before it got totally cringeworthy and inappropriate, it just wasn't funny.

BasMelech120

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:48 am
I do not find jokes about the Holocaust funny.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:49 am
He’s known for his cringeworthy humor. He took it way too far this time though, not funny.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:43 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
He’s known for his cringeworthy humor. ...

Well he does take credit for writing 'The Contest' for the Seinfield show.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 9:12 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Davis

Larry Davis may refer to:

Larry Davis (basketball) (born 1956), assistant men's basketball coach at the University of Cincinnati
Larry Davis (blues musician) (1936–1994), American Texas blues musician
Larry Davis (New York) (1966–2008), New York City criminal defendant
Larry Davis (minister) (born 1948), American pastor convicted of misappropriating church funds
Larry M. Davis (1943–2006), American psychiatrist
Larry S. Davis. American computer scientist

See also
Lawrence Davis (1919–2001), or Crash Davis, American professional baseball player
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics