Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Instant Pot Fans - what's your best ground meat recipe?

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 7:59 pm
[spoil] title says it best!
Does anyone have an awesome instant pot or pressure cooker recipe for ground beef? I'm open to anything at all.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 8:08 pm
debsey wrote:
[spoil] title says it best!
Does anyone have an awesome instant pot or pressure cooker recipe for ground beef? I'm open to anything at all.

There's a lot of good recipes. This is one we enjoy.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/in.....illo/

I usually use canned tomatoes, for ease.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:23 am
Why the need for an instant pot when browned ground meat takes just a few minutes to make in a skillet?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
Why the need for an instant pot when browned ground meat takes just a few minutes to make in a skillet?

Even when using my crock pot I like to brown meat, but I'd never use a pressure cooker for ground meat, it seems to be a bit of over kill.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:21 am
I do this one a lot - I love it because it's so easy! It's a very simple recipe so I usually saute veggies before adding the meat to brown, and I often play around with spices. (If the veggies add a bunch of liquid, consider using a bit less water than it calls for after the meat is browned.)

https://injohnnaskitchen.com/2.....ns/2/

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:29 am
I have this on my to try list https://myheartbeets.com/insta.....meat/

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:49 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Even when using my crock pot I like to brown meat, but I'd never use a pressure cooker for ground meat, it seems to be a bit of over kill.

You dont use it just to brown the meat. Its what you do in the ip AFTER you brown it.

Op, set the ip for saute and brown the meat. Drain if youd like.VERY important that there are no bits that stuck to the bottom. Use a wooden spoon to scrape. On top of the meat, add 1 box of dry, uncooked pasta. Dont stir. Pour 1 jar of sauce over the pasta, then fill half the empty jar with water and pour around the sides. Again, dont stir. Read the back of the pasta box - if it says 8 mins to cook, set for half. Whatever the time is, set the ip for half. Close the lid and set it on manual for that amount of time. When its done, qpr, stir, and enjoy!

This is amazing because the pasta comes out so creamy, and no extra things to wash.

And on fb, join the kosher ip group.

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:32 pm
watergirl wrote:
You dont use it just to brown the meat. Its what you do in the ip AFTER you brown it.

Op, set the ip for saute and brown the meat. Drain if youd like.VERY important that there are no bits that stuck to the bottom. Use a wooden spoon to scrape. On top of the meat, add 1 box of dry, uncooked pasta. Dont stir. Pour 1 jar of sauce over the pasta, then fill half the empty jar with water and pour around the sides. Again, dont stir. Read the back of the pasta box - if it says 8 mins to cook, set for half. Whatever the time is, set the ip for half. Close the lid and set it on manual for that amount of time. When its done, qpr, stir, and enjoy!

This is amazing because the pasta comes out so creamy, and no extra things to wash.

This sounds great. A friend was telling me the texture of pasta plus ground meat in the IP is so awesome it can't be beat. Want to give this a shot. I'll let u know how it comes out

One question - when you set the instant pot for lets say 5 minutes at manual - what pressure setting are you using? Also, do you use manual or quick release?

(Thanks for the fb invite, but I'm not on FB. )

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:41 pm
debsey wrote:
This sounds great. A friend was telling me the texture of pasta plus ground meat in the IP is so awesome it can't be beat. Want to give this a shot. I'll let u know how it comes out

One question - when you set the instant pot for lets say 5 minutes at manual - what pressure setting are you using? Also, do you use manual or quick release?

(Thanks for the fb invite, but I'm not on FB. )

Regular pressure. Aka not low. Thats just for slow cooking.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:01 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

Why?

Its 45 minutes cooking time, with the need to stir and adjust the flame, vs 15 minutes, set and forget. And I cook the rice in a bowl above the meat.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 4:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Why?

Its 45 minutes cooking time, with the need to stir and adjust the flame, vs 15 minutes, set and forget. And I cook the rice in a bowl above the meat.

It depends what you're making. Classic taco filling takes about 12 minutes. A few minutes to brown the ground beef in a large heavy skillet and another few minutes to thicken it and make it saucy with seasoning and water.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 4:08 pm
watergirl wrote:

Would this recipe work with WW elbow macaroni? Or should I stick with regular?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 4:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It depends what you're making. Classic taco filling takes about 12 minutes. A few minutes to brown the ground beef in a large heavy skillet and another few minutes to thicken it and make it saucy with seasoning and water.

I wouldn't use the IP for that, unless for some reason I couldn't use the range. But the recipe I posted, which I thought you were referring to, takes 45 minutes on the range. Including lots of stirring.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 4:21 pm
debsey wrote:
Would this recipe work with WW elbow macaroni? Or should I stick with regular?

Yes!!

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 4:32 pm
I was going to make this last night but with chicken sausage instead of beef but my kids decided they wanted milchigs in the end.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 12:13 am
watergirl wrote:
Yes!!

I made the recipe as instructed, but the spaghetti came out too chewy. What did I do wrong?

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 5:15 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I wouldn't use the IP for that, unless for some reason I couldn't use the range. But the recipe I posted, which I thought you were referring to, takes 45 minutes on the range. Including lots of stirring.

My meat sauce recipe: Brown some meat, onions and garlic and other veggies if desired. Throw in cans of chopped tomatoes, puree, herbs, and seasoning, maybe red wine. Bring to boil. Turn down. At that point it already tastes good imo and my kids eat it happily but the recipe says to leave to cook for another 45 minutes so I do.

The only stirring is to brown the meat and veggies.

I guess the IP saves a few minutes of waiting.

You can also cook spaghetti directly in the sauce in a regular pot.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:36 pm
I made the one pot pasta using a box of mushrooms and two packs of empire chicken sausages. I also added some nutritional yeast. It was really delicious!

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:23 pm
debsey wrote:
I made the recipe as instructed, but the spaghetti came out too chewy. What did I do wrong?

Just saw this. Next time try it with a different pasta shape. For some reason, people have trouble with spaghetti. Did you use white or ww? Try white rottini and add one more minute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics