Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby left alone in hospital shabbos room. Wwyd?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:15 am
Had a hospital appointment today and popped in to the shabbos room when I was done.
There was a baby sleeping there alone!
Wwyd?
I hung around and stayed with the baby till his father returned. I assume he went to the bathroom. He was quite long!
Is it me or does this also shock you?
Yes the shabbos room has a code but anyone that knows aleph beis can get in!

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:23 am
Was the baby a patient? (Tagged)

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:25 am
Why didn't you say something to the father?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:26 am
I did. I said "I just didn't want to leave the baby alone so hung around" and then walked away.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:27 am
cnc wrote:
Was the baby a patient? (Tagged)

Don't think so.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
Yes the shabbos room has a code but anyone that knows aleph beis can get in!

I'm curious why this detail is worth noting, also the exclamation mark.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:18 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm curious why this detail is worth noting, also the exclamation mark.

I guess to imply that the lock on it is easily accessible.

Also housekeeping knows the code

I have said something to parents in this situation, but it's different since I work at the hospital.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:28 am
It's possible the guy is sleep deprived and not thinking right. But I would've let him know that you think what he did was dangerous since anyone can gain access to the room. He's lucky that you went in there but in the future he should be careful as anyone could've reported this as a form of neglect and child endangerment. And then just let it go.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:28 am
Many places do not allow the parents to stay. If they are shomer shabbes then they cannot visit on shabbes unless they get a heter for driving, I guess. What's a shabbes room?

Sadie

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:30 am
I would say something. Once when my husband and I were apartment hunting and sitting outside of a building, a car parked nearby which we didn't pay attention to until we noticed that the car was running, the doors were open, and there was a baby in a car seat inside. We waited several minutes until the father came back from his errand and I gave him an earful. I told him that just because we look religious it doesn't mean that were were safe people to leave the baby with, and I asked him if he would leave a diamond alone in an open running car. He agreed and apologized and said he wouldn't do it again, which I hope was the truth.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:32 am
Ruchel wrote:
Many places do not allow the parents to stay. If they are shomer shabbes then they cannot visit on shabbes unless they get a heter for driving, I guess. What's a shabbes room?

It's a room in the hospital that is designated to the bikur chol in organization. Filled with food, siddurim and whatever you need for shabbos

DrMom

What's a "shabbos room?"

pesek zman

Ruchel wrote:

Shabbos room is probably a Bikur cholim room.

amother
Natural

pesek zman wrote:
I guess to imply that the lock on it is easily accessible.

Also housekeeping knows the code

I have said something to parents in this situation, but it's different since I work at the hospital.

So are you saying that this is a common occurrence?
A shabbos room is a room that is stocked with kosher food and reading material etc.
I assume that the father thought that only jewish people could access the room as it had a code on the door but that still is dangerous imnsvoh.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:37 am
Personally I wouldn't do such a thing but was it really that dangerous? A sleeping baby in a locked room that most people don't have access to for a few minutes? It's not like a locked car on a hot day or a sroller outside in the middle of 13th ave.

While I happen to be a paranoid parent the likelyhood of stranger kidknappings is extremely low.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
So are you saying that this is a common occurrence?
A shabbos room is a room that is stocked with kosher food and reading material etc.
I assume that the father thought that only jewish people could access the room as it had a code on the door but that still is dangerous imnsvoh.

I wouldn't say it's common but not unheard of. I've definitely see it. I see a LOT working in a hospital that I wish I didn't see

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:54 am
causemommysaid wrote:
Personally I wouldn't do such a thing but was it really that dangerous? A sleeping baby in a locked room that most people don't have access to for a few minutes? It's not like a locked car on a hot day or a sroller outside in the middle of 13th ave.

While I happen to be a paranoid parent the likelyhood of stranger kidknappings is extremely low.

Is it only about kidnapping? What happens in an emergency cv and nobody knows baby is there?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 9:17 am
Do you ever take a shower or go to the bathroom when your kids are sleeping?

I'm not advocating this practice but Im just not seeing the huge danger here.

Guy runs to the bathroom for a few minutes and leaves baby asleep in a relatively safe place.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 9:22 am
Sadie wrote:
I would say something. Once when my husband and I were apartment hunting and sitting outside of a building, a car parked nearby which we didn't pay attention to until we noticed that the car was running, the doors were open, and there was a baby in a car seat inside. We waited several minutes until the father came back from his errand and I gave him an earful. I told him that just because we look religious it doesn't mean that were were safe people to leave the baby with, and I asked him if he would leave a diamond alone in an open running car. He agreed and apologized and said he wouldn't do it again, which I hope was the truth.

These stories are absolutely flabbergasting to me!

People often tell me I'm crazy because my cleaning lady has my combination lock and enters and leaves my house freely.

But they leave their cleaning help with their children!!!!

I also, leave her with my children, but that's because I trust her completely. Once I decided I trust her with my children, then I trust her with everything. My children are most important, wverything else is secondary.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 9:22 am
I know my sexism is showing, but my feeling is... fathers tend to do that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics