Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Showering with ventilation
1  2  Next

Do you expect family members to have window or door opened when showering if no vent fan is in the bathroom?
yes - I hate mildew and mold  
 34%  [ 21 ]
no - I say, "live and let live!"  
 60%  [ 37 ]
I wish - I want them to, but they just don't listen!  
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 61

salamanca

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:17 pm
For those of you who do not have vent fans in your bathrooms, do you expect the members of your family to shower with either a window or the door opened so that the steam doesn't cause mold and mildew to grow on your ceilings, walls and tiles?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 3:21 pm
I always shower with the window open. Otherwise the mildew builds up on the grout and as much as I scrub it won't come totally off. The window open really helps. Heck, I shower with the door open when I'm home alone.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 4:10 pm
If it's cold I am not opening the window. Opened door? Only if I'm alone. Sorry that wouldn't work for me not to have a fan.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 4:16 pm
If it's cold out make sure that the window is left open for an hour after the shower.
Btw, you can purchase a DIY light fixture that has a vent attached to it and just switch out the fixtures in the bathroom.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 4:19 pm
Open the window after your shower. Close the door so the rest of the home won't get cold.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:28 am
wish I had a window in the bathroom, no vent either.

Boca00

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 5:19 pm
Shower with the door open?? Um, no.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 5:32 pm
We shower with the door open but we don't have older kids. In our old apartment we kept the window cracked all the time, which really helped, but that worked because that place was already overheated. If you can't do either of those, make it a habit to keep the bathroom door open whenever it's not in use. It really cuts down on the mildew factor.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 5:38 pm
salamanca wrote:
For those of you who do not have vent fans in your bathrooms, do you expect the members of your family to shower with either a window or the door opened so that the steam doesn't cause mold and mildew to grow on your ceilings, walls and tiles?

We have no vent, no window. Everybody locks the door when showering and using the toilet. We keep the door open at all other times. We have a note on the door, ''Please keep door open when room is vacant''

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 5:39 pm
I shower with both the window and door shut. Sometimes my kids or husband open the door a crack so they can talk to me while I'm in the shower, and I hate the draft. Anything but a steaming hot environment turns my shower from pleasure to misery. If someone tried to get me to open either a window or door during my shower, I'd downright refuse. Why want someone to be so uncomfortable?

We open the bathroom (and close the bathroom door in cooler weather) after showers.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:24 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Open the window after your shower. Close the door so the rest of the home won't get cold.

This. What kind of fool showers with the window open? Haven’t you heard of peeping Toms?

salamanca

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
This. What kind of fool showers with the window open? Haven’t you heard of peeping Toms?

This fool. Peeping Toms are not a problem where I live in the suburbs. I have mini blinds that I open just a little bit and this lets the outside air in. Maybe if you don't own your own home, you don't care if the ceiling comes crashing down.

salamanca

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:32 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I shower with both the window and door shut. Sometimes my kids or husband open the door a crack so they can talk to me while I'm in the shower, and I hate the draft. Anything but a steaming hot environment turns my shower from pleasure to misery. If someone tried to get me to open either a window or door during my shower, I'd downright refuse. Why want someone to be so uncomfortable?

We open the bathroom (and close the bathroom door in cooler weather) after showers.

To me, misery is a bathroom that needs major repairs in the amount of hundreds of dollars (been there, done that,) because there was no ventilation for showers.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:36 pm
salamanca wrote:
This fool. Peeping Toms are not a problem where I live in the suburbs. I have mini blinds that I open just a little bit and this lets the outside air in. Maybe if you don't own your own home, you don't care if the ceiling comes crashing down.

Yup. We had a window in the shower with frosted glass. Opening the window an inch or so does not give Peeping Toms a view.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:39 pm
You may want to buy a small fan to use in your bathroom if there is no window or vented fan. Run it facing the door for 20 minutes when you are done.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:08 pm
Mold and mildew aren’t going to build up in the span of one shower. I mean, I take long showers and all, but c’mon! I would never tell any guest, family or otherwise, that they had to shower with the window open. If it’s really humid in there, then you can open a window or door afterwards for a short time and that should air it out and take care of any problems.

salamanca

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:13 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Mold and mildew aren’t going to build up in the span of one shower. I mean, I take long showers and all, but c’mon! I would never tell any guest, family or otherwise, that they had to shower with the window open. If it’s really humid in there, then you can open a window or door afterwards for a short time and that should air it out and take care of any problems.

Who in the world said anything about "one shower"? A guest is one thing; presumably that would be a one time thing. But all members of a family showering daily with no ventilation (no fan, window or door open) - sorry, but opening a window or door afterwards is somewhat like closing the barn door after the horse has run away. It will help some, but not enough.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:19 pm
Just a reminder for those of you with a vented bathroom fan. Take the faceplate off the unit and vac inside and outside. If you own your own home, consider having the vent cleaned when you get your ducts cleaned.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:19 pm
salamanca wrote:
Who in the world said anything about "one shower"? A guest is one thing; presumably that would be a one time thing. But all members of a family showering daily with no ventilation (no fan, window or door open) - sorry, but opening a window or door afterwards is somewhat like closing the barn door after the horse has run away. It will help some, but not enough.

we don't leave window open or door open when we shower. No mold or mildew issues in my bathroom.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:22 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
You may want to buy a small fan to use in your bathroom if there is no window or vented fan. Run it facing the door for 20 minutes when you are done.

We have a small powerful fan under the sink and I take it out to blow air after dh and I shower. It dries the steam off the walls and ceiling. I bathe my children in the kitchen sink so there's no problem with steam water to the walls.

And I also spray tilex on the grout tiles and on the shower curtain often to stop mold.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry