Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
"Mommy did you know that women have kids..."
1  2  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 9:37 am
We were riding to school today and my daughter said to me.

"Mommy did you know that women have kids and they are not married?"

I said, "really?? Where did you hear this"

"a friend at school."

I said, "well while I am sure it does happen it does not happen in the frum world." (or one would hope not)

"but I really want a sister and your not dating."

I said, "maybe I am and not telling you.. Sweetie I want to find the best man for our family, because we deserve the best and I am not settling. Do not worry IY"H I will get married and you will have a sister. It just takes time, and I am young ok?"

"your not that young."

we got to school and I hugged her and said "these are things you should not have to worry about focus on school.."

HOw do you respond to such things??

Tovah

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 9:39 am
I would tell my daughter that hashem said we have to married in order to have children. something like that anyways.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 9:40 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:

I said, "well while I am sure it does happen it does not happen in the frum world." (or one would hope not)

I know of a frum single mom, who had her baby on her own.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 9:57 am
There are plenty of frum ladies out there who have not found a bashert but with the biological clock ticking, decided to have a baby/ies on their own.
This practice is actually not discouraged by certain rabbis, if certain guidelines are met (yes, hard to believe).
In any event, I do tell my children that although they may see things which might seem odd, people do make choices in life which don't always reflect what we think is right.

TammyTammy

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 9:58 am
Just out of curiosity (and I don't mean this as a criticism...) how could you promise her a sister? For all you know, you could have seven boys in a row.

Tammy

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 10:02 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:

Do not worry IY"H I will get married and you will have a sister. It just takes time, and I am young ok?"

It says IY"H... believe me that's what her brothers are constantly saying to her that it could be a boy..

I think she just wants to be in "normal" family, because all of her friends mothers are having babies...

Point is she's 9, not something she needs to worry about..

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 10:05 am
This is our typical I want a baby discussion..

DD "mommy you need to get married, and have two girls and a boy. That way there are three girls and three boys."

my middle DS "well you know she could have all boys be cause my friend Levi has all brothers and no sisters."

DD, "mommy it's not fair if you have more boys."

middle DS, "it's not up to her it's up to Hashem, plus she has to get married."

Mean time I am sitting there smiling (but laughing on the inside) that my kids could have such a discussion.

faigie

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 10:21 am
ROFL!
ya did good, dont worry.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 10:39 am
I know of widows and devorcee who were pg and gave birth alone...

lilacdreams

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 11:11 am
I think she just wants to be in "normal" family, because all of her friends mothers are having babies...

hi I am married and my kids still ask the same question!

My youngest isn't a baby anymore and they are always whining "when will you have a baby like so-and-so's mom?" I tell them H-m is the one who decides these things, not us. I guess you may feel somewhat morose because you also would like to know the answer but either way I tell my kids to daven for what they want and if H-m feels that that is what we need for our family then we will have another child. Maybe ask your kids to daven for a good shidduch (first Wink) and then a baby, IYH. (or encourage your kids to daven for other people who are in the same situation as you, because of the inyan that if you are davening for Ploni, but you need the same yeshua, H-m will bless you also)

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 11:52 am
one can't plan the future ... teach them to enjoy the family they have now ...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 12:33 pm
Tamiri wrote:
There are plenty of frum ladies out there who have not found a bashert but with the biological clock ticking, decided to have a baby/ies on their own.
This practice is actually not discouraged by certain rabbis, if certain guidelines are met (yes, hard to believe).
In any event, I do tell my children that although they may see things which might seem odd, people do make choices in life which don't always reflect what we think is right.

I can hope they'll have a father figure, and it's through artificial fecundation! shock
A widow or divorcee can say "Ploni is your father, blah blah blah", but here... "mama went to buy some zera to make you."
Although, I heard it had to be from a [gentile] to avoid incest risks, so isn't the child pagum?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:20 pm
Single women are not the only women who purchase sperm for procreation, as some infertile couples also rely on it. Nobody tells a child that they purchased sperm, they tell the child that they wanted a baby very badly, and a very generous man helped supply the part that was missing. There are sensitive ways to tell children about everything -- adoption, divorce where the parent is absent and not involved, sperm donation, etc.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:26 pm
True, all these topics can be difficult... but what if the child asks why she didn't marry or something like that? in the other cases, there is no choice... the spouse has left, or they were sterile. Single pregnancy is (in this case) a choice. You see what I mean?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:31 pm
Ruchel wrote:
True, all these topics can be difficult... but what if the child asks why she didn't marry or something like that? in the other cases, there is no choice... the spouse has left, or they were sterile. Single pregnancy is (in this case) a choice. You see what I mean?

I do see what you mean, but personally, I think that single motherhood can be a wonderful choice, for the right woman. Also single fatherhood. If one hasn't met the right person but knows in their heart of hearts that they want more than anything to have children, I trust that they will do a terrific job with the child they have, whether through insemination, surrogate or adoption. I have friends who are single parents and are so great at it, and their kids don't feel that they're missing anything, especially as they are surrounded by loving supportive family and friends of both genders. And I know people who are married who are, for all intents and purposes, raising their kids on their own.

Piper

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:34 pm
Just don't tell Dr.Laura Wink

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:42 pm
Piper wrote:
Just don't tell Dr.Laura Wink

Don't worry, I don't tell much to her, especially now that she's jumped ship! Smile

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:45 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Yes.

And I think it's a very selfish choice, to consciously deprive a child of a parent. Sad

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:46 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

I do see what you mean, but personally, I think that single motherhood can be a wonderful choice, for the right woman. Also single fatherhood. If one hasn't met the right person but knows in their heart of hearts that they want more than anything to have children, I trust that they will do a terrific job with the child they have, whether through insemination, surrogate or adoption. I have friends who are single parents and are so great at it, and their kids don't feel that they're missing anything, especially as they are surrounded by loving supportive family and friends of both genders. And I know people who are married who are, for all intents and purposes, raising their kids on their own.

I don't know enough cases to judge, you may be right, I hope!
And I agree about the last sentence Sad

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:47 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Yes.

And I think it's a very selfish choice, to consciously deprive a child of a parent. Sad

So a person, whether single, widowed or divorced, who has not met the right person and is of the age when it's "now or never," should forgo parenthood altogether? That's the unselfish thing to do?

I'm always surprised when people who were blessed with husbands and children say this. So easy when one hasn't walked a mile in other people's shoes. Having been in a very difficult situation where I faced that possibility, I can tell you that it is not so simple.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children