Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Mean girls

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:01 pm
There seems to be a large group of mean girls in my daughter's first grade class. She is really being hurt by them daily. I told her to ignore them, to find other girls to hang out with and basically avoid them. I'm not really not sure how to help her navigate this. Any ideas?

Also why are so many girls mean? Don't parents teach their children how to be nice to other children?

shanabanana

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 10:17 pm
Contact the teacher, hear from her what is going on. best case scenario your daughter is very sensitive, worst case is she is being bullied. at that age they still have assistants who can give your daughter extra tlc and make sure no bullying is going on. the teacher or assistant should keep an eye on your daughter.

Last edited by shanabanana on Tue, Nov 07 2017, 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

BH5745

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 2:47 am
amother wrote:
There seems to be a large group of mean girls in my daughter's first grade class. She is really being hurt by them daily. I told her to ignore them, to find other girls to hang out with and basically avoid them. I'm not really not sure how to help her navigate this. Any ideas?

Also why are so many girls mean? Don't parents teach their children how to be nice to other children?

Does your daughter enjoy school? Is she happy to go in the morning and does she come home happy? If she is generally all around happy and doing well in school it's probably normal 1st grade drama. But if she hates school and/or does poorly then it might be an issue ypu need to fix asap.

My DD is the same age BH, and also goes through periods of social drama like this. Also I've seen both her and other girls in her class behave less than ideal towards each other, so usually these things are a two way street...

At this age, as they're still developing a sense of right and wrong and lack self-control, being not very nice to other girls sometimes is unfortunately common.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children