Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
MRSA INFECTION
1  2  Next

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:27 am
I'M STRUGGLING WITH MY 2 KIDS WITH MRSA FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS IT KEEPS ON COMING BACK WE TRIED ALL KID OF VITAMINS ETC.
ANY BODY HAS GONE THROUGH THIS AND HAS ANY NEW IDEAS? HOW TO DEAL WITH IT

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:36 am
no advice just hugs. My dd and I both got it and it was a big deal for me. I got nervous that my dd got it again recently but I think it was just her molluscum, but it's hard on my nerves so I really feel for you Sad

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:46 am
Dealing with the actual infections used hot compresses and antibiotic cream. To prevent future infections: Wash linen once a week, towels after each use if possible, clean all surfaces in bathroom very often with a cleaner that kills mrsa germs (check label). Add a little bleach when bathing kids even when they don't have an actual infection for a good few months. Keep all infections covered and do alot of hand washing with anti bacterial handsome, hand sanitizer is useful too. Good luck! Mrsa ain't fun but you can kill it! Consider hiring extra cleaning help.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:53 am
Been there done that and wanted to send you lots of hugs.... it kept coming back again and again and took a looooong time to get rid of but b"h we did.

For active infections, use bactroban ointment and hot compresses. You have no idea how much the hot compresses accomplish. You can often avoid antibiotics just by being very religious about doing the hot compresses.

You can also preventetively put bactroban on a q tip and swirl in both nostrils of everyone in house. Do this twice a day for a few days, then a few times a week. The mrsa actually "lives" in the nose.

Also, keep everyone's nails short.

yogabird

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:03 am
Did you try ACV soaks?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:06 am
I find it interesting that people are talking about ointments because my dd and I were both given oral antibiotics? I use hibiclens in the baths. Have you tried that?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:29 am
hibiclens ??????what is it ?????is the otc? we tried all kinds of natural remmdies
spent alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$nothing works!!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:02 am
My DD Going through this now. She keeps getting it back on her scalp. Been to the dermatologist a couple of times the past few weeks. She just keeps putting her on antibiotics by mouth and cream as well. Hope it goes away real soon. I see she's in a lot of pain. She avoids leaning her head back. She goes into bed and yells "ouch!" when she puts her head down. And until she finds a comfortable spot could take a while. When the bump got bigger she took a warm shower and let the water just run on it until it would burst... after that she would be in less pain...
I'm getting frustrated because she gets a round of antibiotics and The infection slowly goes away. But as soon as she stops the antibiotics we watch her getting the bumps right back... sooo we make a visit to the dr once again and she prescribes some more antibiotics. I feel like were just going in circles. Whew Whew
Also her head is so full of scars and bald spots!! (And red pumps!!)
How contagious is this? What could I do to protect the rest of my family from getting it???

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:02 am
Yes, we also used hibiclens in the shower, though, I don't think it did anything.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
My DD Going through this now. She keeps getting it back on her scalp. Been to the dermatologist a couple of times the past few weeks. She just keeps putting her on antibiotics by mouth and cream as well. Hope it goes away real soon. I see she's in a lot of pain. She avoids leaning her head back. She goes into bed and yells "ouch!" when she puts her head down. And until she finds a comfortable spot could take a while. When the bump got bigger she took a warm shower and let the water just run on it until it would burst... after that she would be in less pain...
I'm getting frustrated because she gets a round of antibiotics and The infection slowly goes away. But as soon as she stops the antibiotics we watch her getting the bumps right back... sooo we make a visit to the dr once again and she prescribes some more antibiotics. I feel like were just going in circles. Whew Whew
Also her head is so full of scars and bald spots!! (And red pumps!!)
How contagious is this? What could I do to protect the rest of my family from getting it???

The shower thing is good. Once opened put an antibiotic ointment even bacitracin. I only go to doc if it keeps getying worse after that or doesn't open. Even when I go to the doc I ask if we can try first ointments before oral meds. Most of the time they agree. I think the head is a riskier spot though.

Wash her linen and towels VERY often. As well as all hair accessories. Bathroom and all wet surfaces need to be cleaned very often. Clorox wipes are very useful for door handles, countertops, towel hooks, etc. She and everyone else in house should bathe in bleach baths. Not a whole lot of bleach, like 1/4 cup for an average bath.

Her pillow case I would wash/change everyday because the germs breed on warm moist surfaces.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
hibiclens ??????what is it ?????is the otc? we tried all kinds of natural remmdies
spent alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$nothing works!!!

I've been dealing with this with my kids for over a year now! I feel for you! It is so hard! I happen to be keeping at bay now. Here are my tips.

Active or open infection:
1) 2-3 warm baths a day for 20 min each. You can do 1/2 cup bleach per a 1/2 water filled tub 3 times a week in the bath (I give my kids something to watch so that they will stay in the tub) Or you can smear hibiclens 3 times a week all over the body and let it sit on them for 10-15 min before they wash. (I believe it's OTC but it might not be, ask your pedi to call it in)
2) smear smear smear - bactroban. Smear the infection and also put on ends of a qtip to get into their nose a couple of times a day, this is wear the infection begins (in the nose)
3) make sure nails are cut short - I read somewhere that infection enters in through nails
4) Ive had some success with miracle clay and collidal silver, also needs to be eaten
5) Give some sort of strong pro-biotic or immune booster to strenthen immunity against recurring infections
6) do not use a towel twice. Wash on hot
7) use clorox wipes between all uses on the toilet seat
8) Do not give any children baths together. (clean out tub between each use)
9) Ive also tried manuka honey and raw cabbage leaves - not sure which one helped at this point
10) If infection is in an exposed place, keep covered with gauze when open infection
11) If infection is in diaper area, try keeping the area dry as much as possible. Best if infection can air out if its not exposed. For my children in diapers, I do cover it with cream and bandaid at night so the moisture shouldnt touch. (Amazon has good strong bandaids called Stat Strip)
12) after a warm soaked bath, if the pimple is big and hard, try squeezing out the pus. This hurts terribly but it does reduce the pus and lessens it. After 1 or 2 times, there shouldnt be anything left. ( Make sure to use gloves)
13) Use antibacterial soap for everyone in the family after every bathroom trip.

If the infection is not active but you just want to make sure it doesnt come back, this is what you need to do. At least 1 warm longish bath each day. Keep with soap, clorox wipes and dont reuse towels. Smear bactroban on area once a day and 2 bactroban in nose twice a day.

I've been very strict about doing all of this and it DOES help!

Good luck!!!!

biff12

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:19 am
After 2.5 years of struggling with mrsa on and off very often.. doctor medicated along with probiotics.. it's been at least 3 months, and bh it hasn't resurfaced since...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
The shower thing is good. Once opened put an antibiotic ointment even bacitracin. I only go to doc if it keeps getying worse after that or doesn't open. Even when I go to the doc I ask if we can try first ointments before oral meds. Most of the time they agree. I think the head is a riskier spot though.

Wash her linen and towels VERY often. As well as all hair accessories. Bathroom and all wet surfaces need to be cleaned very often. Clorox wipes are very useful for door handles, countertops, towel hooks, etc. She and everyone else in house should bathe in bleach baths. Not a whole lot of bleach, like 1/4 cup for an average bath.

Her pillow case I would wash/change everyday because the germs breed on warm moist surfaces.

Wow really!!?! I feel so bad that I wasn't doing these things until now. But thanks for the advice! ITS SO NOT ME. I'm the last person who washes pillow cases daily or scrubs my bathroom morning and night... my cleaning lady comes twice a week and she goes over my entire apartment, but other than that, we just basically keep it clean and neat-- not OCD!

But I do want to do anything to keep the infection from spreading!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
Wow really!!?! I feel so bad that I wasn't doing these things until now. But thanks for the advice! ITS SO NOT ME. I'm the last person who washes pillow cases daily or scrubs my bathroom morning and night... my cleaning lady comes twice a week and she goes over my entire apartment, but other than that, we just basically keep it clean and neat-- not OCD!

But I do want to do anything to keep the infection from spreading!

If u have many pillowcases just switch to a new one and then wash then all when your running out. It's important to understand what mrsa is in order to fight it. It's a type of staph bacteria that is resistant to the typical antibiotics. All staph bacteria live and breed in humid moist places I.e. bathrooms and linen because when you sleep your body produces alot of heat and moisture goes on your linen. Especially if the wound is left uncovered the bacteria could spread around.

You don't have to become OCD and start scrubbing down all rooms in your house. Just focus on bathrooms, hand towels and linen.

It's not easy but a few weeks or months of doing this and iyh all infections will be gone.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:45 am
biff12 wrote:
After 2.5 years of struggling with mrsa on and off very often.. doctor medicated along with probiotics.. it's been at least 3 months, and bh it hasn't resurfaced since...

At one point I also did very strong antibiotics and it stayed away for a couple of months but then it resurfaced. I hope it works for you! Big thing is about keeping toilets, tubs and towels clean.

Maybe

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:50 am
PM me for a possible solution

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 11:12 am
Please bathe your children (always separately) and add a half-full cup of bleach to every bath.

rgr

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 11:22 am
Maybe wrote:
PM me for a possible solution

What's the big secret?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 11:27 am
amother wrote:

This.
I'm the last person to use antibacterial soaps and detergents because I don't want to overexpose ourselves. But when it comes to MRSA I've learned that it's important in order to eradicate it (later you can go back to regulsr cleaning products). Right now keep antibacterial Clorox cleaning wipes handy and wash things down a few times a day. Make the kids wash their hands often with soap before they play, after they play, before and after they eat. Keep nails short (trim every 5 days). Shower or bathe them daily. Towels washed daily on hottest cycle your washing machine has.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
Please bathe your children (always separately) and add a half-full cup of bleach to every bath.

This
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics