Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Advice needed about my job.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:21 am
I started a job a year ago and when I was hired I was going to be working about 20 hours a week but eventually it will be more hours leading up to full time. Within a month I was working about 27 hours a week and by 3 months into the job 30 to 37 hours a week depending on the week (averaging about 34 to 35 hours a week). Also out of the office I will be contacted for information, review my emails etc.

I am paid hourly with no benefits, no PTO or anything else. That was fine for working part time but not for the hours I work now.

I believe I will be able to get PTO because another person in the office started working full time 35 hours a week and is getting PTO so I assume I will as well.

My problems, if I don't ask for anything I don't get it for example I had to ask to get Yom Tov paid. I hate begging I would like to have been offered what is standard in the city I work.

Also I find my boss to never give to his employees, just take. For example if the power goes out and I can't work I will lose pay if I don't stay in the office. Last week my computer was down and I could not work at the office I was told by the boss to use his computer but he is in the office and needs his desk. I should have been told you know do what you can at home and take the day off but you will be paid. Obviously there has been no bonus, meals or gifts which is very common in the offices in my area.

Pros: I like the work but it is stressful as I have a lot to do and the commute is very short.

I am doing an excellent job and I am sure he has no interest in losing me. My yearly is coming up what do you recommend.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:31 am
Definitely ask for a salary. Don't take per-hour pay for a full-time job; and once you're on a salary (with a contract please) he can't cut off hours for things like power outages and holiday closures.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
I started a job a year ago and when I was hired I was going to be working about 20 hours a week but eventually it will be more hours leading up to full time. Within a month I was working about 27 hours a week and by 3 months into the job 30 to 37 hours a week depending on the week (averaging about 34 to 35 hours a week). Also out of the office I will be contacted for information, review my emails etc.

I am paid hourly with no benefits, no PTO or anything else. That was fine for working part time but not for the hours I work now.

I believe I will be able to get PTO because another person in the office started working full time 35 hours a week and is getting PTO so I assume I will as well.

My problems, if I don't ask for anything I don't get it for example I had to ask to get Yom Tov paid. I hate begging I would like to have been offered what is standard in the city I work.

Also I find my boss to never give to his employees, just take. For example if the power goes out and I can't work I will lose pay if I don't stay in the office. Last week my computer was down and I could not work at the office I was told by the boss to use his computer but he is in the office and needs his desk. I should have been told you know do what you can at home and take the day off but you will be paid. Obviously there has been no bonus, meals or gifts which is very common in the offices in my area.

Pros: I like the work but it is stressful as I have a lot to do and the commute is very short.

I am doing an excellent job and I am sure he has no interest in losing me. My yearly is coming up what do you recommend.

I don’t think that matters what is done in your area commonly, every office is an island unto itself. What kind of office are you working in? Paid YT is not common, by the way. And what are meals that you are referring to? Do you work in a school with a hot lunch program?

dr. pepper

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:34 am
What seeker said.

If need be, practice how you will say it to someone or in a mirror. THe key word you are looking to embody is assertive. You are not nagging or begging. You are stating the facts as you clearly wrote them in the original post.

Stay strong and hatzlocha!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:42 am
watergirl wrote:
I don’t think that matters what is done in your area commonly, every office is an island unto itself. What kind of office are you working in? Paid YT is not common, by the way. And what are meals that you are referring to? Do you work in a school with a hot lunch program?

I am not paid for any legal or sick days either, no PTO at all. I am being paid for Yom Tov days no but I have no sick, lega or vacation days.

In regards to meal I am regarding that on occasions offices will have parties or give lunch to the office. There are no extras we just get coffee and honestly that is given grudgingly almost.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
I am not paid for any legal or sick days either, no PTO at all. I am being paid for Yom Tov days no but I have no sick, lega or vacation days.

In regards to meal I am regarding that on occasions offices will have parties or give lunch to the office. There are no extras we just get coffee and honestly that is given grudgingly almost.

You can't consider "meals" a benefit. Doctors offices often get meals because that is the bribe provided by drug reps. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be on your radar to be annoyed about. It's something that some offices do sometimes. In my firm we provide supper to employees during tax season where people work till around 10:00 pm. Lunch is provided when there is a training that takes place during lunch. I would hate to you to leave this office and go somewhere else and see that the perks you imagine everyone else gets but you-were exaggerated.

As to the PTO point, getting paid for YT instead of sick or other off days seems fair exchange to me. I have to use my PTO days for YT, so I am also left with no sick/vacation days. Given that you need at least 10 days a year for YT, it's a pretty even exchange.

Having said that, I think you can make the case that for the hours alone you should qualify for salary. But that could burn you as well, where you'll be asked to work more hours than the 35 or whatever you agree to, and you won't get paid for it.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
You can't consider "meals" a benefit. Doctors offices often get meals because that is the bribe provided by drug reps. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be on your radar to be annoyed about. It's something that some offices do sometimes. In my firm we provide supper to employees during tax season where people work till around 10:00 pm. Lunch is provided when there is a training that takes place during lunch. I would hate to you to leave this office and go somewhere else and see that the perks you imagine everyone else gets but you-were exaggerated.

As to the PTO point, getting paid for YT instead of sick or other off days seems fair exchange to me. I have to use my PTO days for YT, so I am also left with no sick/vacation days. Given that you need at least 10 days a year for YT, it's a pretty even exchange.

Having said that, I think you can make the case that for the hours alone you should qualify for salary. But that could burn you as well, where you'll be asked to work more hours than the 35 or whatever you agree to, and you won't get paid for it.

I think the meals issue is really a work place morale issue - which I do understand. I’ve had both types of experinces. One job provided only hot water and instant coffee - it was a bummer honestly. My job now does one holiday meal a year, not kosher, but my boss caters in a kosher meal for me and that small act alone makes me feel valued.

ITA with the rest of this post.

OP, I do understand where you are coming from, but please read the rest of the post that I quoted very carefully. The PTO/paid YT exchange is tricky. Same with salary vs hourly. In many or most work places, its one or the other.

Fwiw, I had one job like you describe - I lasted 3 months before they fired me. No paid lunch time, I had to log out to take a lunch break, and even then, I could only do so with permission! I went for an anniversary lunch with DH, with the bosses om, only 45 mins gone, and I got a talking to later. And once we lost internet and had to stay or be docked - literally nothing else to do there. No filing, nothing. Then we were sent home with no pay. It was just a bad job all around and I was glad to be fired. The company closed in the end when they were caught doing illegal things.

Its worth a conversation with your boss - but work morale wont improve, and the while you may get what you want in some ways, you may loose in others. Think this through very carefully.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:

An employee deserves to know what they are entitled to. This is usually provided in the form of an employee handbook, company policy or employment contract. If you have none of these, very nicely approach your boss, tell him your unsure of what the rules are and would like something in writing regarding PTO. Confirm that you are indeed a f/t employee. (Anything over 32 hrs should be regarded this way).

On the flip side, your boss is not obligated to send you home with pay for power outages and crashed computers. If he wants you to remain at your desk twiddling your thumbs, that's his right. Also, you are not entitle to any bonus, meals, or gifts of any kind unless specifically stated (in writing) as terms of your employment.

simba

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:34 am
Did not read other responses do forgive me if I am repetitive. I also work in a frum workplace.
You will not get raises handed to you on a silver platter. You need to be assertive.
You can definitely request PTO as a full time employee. Salary is a nice option, tell them you are reliable to them and you need the income to be reliable as well. If not maybe you can find a way to log the after hours work you put in.

Good Luck!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:10 am
Everyone thanks for the responses.

I brought up the meals and bonuses not because I am owed them but as watergirl said it is a morale issue. My question to myself do I want to work in a place where there are no extras. I would like to be acknowledged for the

I expect to get PTO and I saw what he gave the other full time employee and I am satisfied if I get the same.

I do not think he is going to want to switch from hourly to salary based on comments he made. I am fine with that as as long as I get PTO. The question is what percentage raise I can ask for?

I get towards more to the high end per hour but I am very experienced and do so much more than most who have my job. The title my boss uses for me describes my work but it is used for one who has a college degree. I just have a lot of experience and knowledge that I am able to do the work on that level. I am not looking to get the degree for personal reasons (he would not be interested in the degree either, he would have to pay a third more in salary.

simba

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
Everyone thanks for the responses.

I brought up the meals and bonuses not because I am owed them but as watergirl said it is a morale issue. My question to myself do I want to work in a place where there are no extras. I would like to be acknowledged for the

I expect to get PTO and I saw what he gave the other full time employee and I am satisfied if I get the same.

I do not think he is going to want to switch from hourly to salary based on comments he made. I am fine with that as as long as I get PTO. The question is what percentage raise I can ask for?

I get towards more to the high end per hour but I am very experienced and do so much more than most who have my job. The title my boss uses for me describes my work but it is used for one who has a college degree. I just have a lot of experience and knowledge that I am able to do the work on that level. I am not looking to get the degree for personal reasons (he would not be interested in the degree either, he would have to pay a third more in salary.

if he would have someone with a degree what other benefits would he have?
Can you tell him that you are giving him the same service and since with a degree he would have to pay 30% more you are only asking for a 15% raise?
Is that enough for you? That is considered a nice amount.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:38 am
WADR I think it's a little ridiculous to judge if your coffee is begrudged. It's a job. It's nice when jobs come with perks but even in the perky offices you are far better off if you can minimize your emotional and relationshippy involvement. Forget about "would have liked to be offered" and figure out how to assert your requests and needs without getting all feelingsy about it. (however, once you're salaried instead of hourlied you won't have to ask for things like paid yom tov. So definitely lay that down first.)

Regarding yom tov and PTO, it sounds like the OP works in a "heimish" type of place. If they are closed on yom tov then that should be the same as any secular office that's closed on non-Jewish holidays - salaried employees don't need to take sick days or lose any pay for days that their office is closed. If you are entitled to sick days, that is for your discretion and they can't force you to take a sick day. If they're offering for you to work on yom tov and you need to decline then that's too bad, but if the office is closed then that's not your problem.

It's interesting that you say he would be more willing to give PTO than salary. Granted I haven't worked in that many different types of places but usually those go together. Hourly workers are paid for the exact hours they work, and salaried workers are paid by the week/month including days off, unless they exceed their allotted days off. Nobody pays an hourly rate for hours not worked. This is why salaries usually work out less than the hourly pay for the same hours - it's a trade off for the consistency and benefits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics