Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who shouldn't be able to buy a gun? (1 more gun control s/o)

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:11 am
Nobody wants crazy people or dangerous people to have guns. This we all agree on, yes?

Thus, beefing up background checks sounds like a good idea.

But what would the checking be for, specifically? Who should be barred from gun ownership? If we say people with mental health issues, does that mean any person who has ever been depressed or in therapy? If we say criminals, does that mean anyone ever convicted of anything? What else? Who sets the standards?

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:22 am
Yes to all the above. We don't want depressed people getting their hands on guns, for their own protection. Suicide kills more people than homicide.

Anyone with a domestic violence case, child abuse case, or any criminal conviction that involves reckless or dangerous behavior. I'm tempted to say even those who have been investigated for suspicion of such, because all too often these cases are closed for lack of evidence but later the evidence becomes indisputable when the suspect goes on a mass killing spree.

And even then too many people will fall through the cracks. Not all DV gets reported, and perfectly ordinary people can go through a crisis that makes them a danger to themselves or others. Think loss of a job, brain tumor, divorce, etc.

I know people who shouldn't have access to guns but they do. The whole topic is so frustrating. I wish that instead of advocating more guns to "protect" against criminals with guns, the NRA begins supporting universal bulletproofing. Dont know

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
Nobody wants crazy people or dangerous people to have guns. This we all agree on, yes?

Thus, beefing up background checks sounds like a good idea.

But what would the checking be for, specifically? Who should be barred from gun ownership? If we say people with mental health issues, does that mean any person who has ever been depressed or in therapy? If we say criminals, does that mean anyone ever convicted of anything? What else? Who sets the standards?

Not a comprehensive list, but:

Anyone who has not completed a gun safety and education program, and has not demonstrated ability to safely handle a firearm, as well as ownership of a safe place to store a weapon

Anyone with a conviction for domestic violence, or a restraining order having been issued within X years. (There should be a way in which to appeal this after a certain number of years with a clean record)

Anyone with certain documented mental health issues (but, again, appealable).

Anyone with a felony conviction, or a misdemeanor conviction that involved force or violence

Anyone on a federal watch list (subject to appeal)

With mandatory reporting to NICS

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics