Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
"Converting" others to alternative treatments
Previous  1  2  3

malkyderhn

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:50 pm
not equating by any means but a medical advice from a stranger just does not seem right

just my opinion

but I should digress a bit and say that an advice in the area of alternative medicine will probably always come from a non qualified advisor

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:51 pm
malkyderhn wrote:
but I should digress a bit and say that an advice in the area of alternative medicine will probably always come from a non qualified advisor

Not necessarily. Many MDs recommend alternative medicine too, including oncologists.

malkyderhn

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:58 pm
makes sense thanks for clarification
I guess in that situation it would be defining what alternative medicine or even medicine as a whole entails
is certain recommended diet plan - medicine?
(not like reducing sodium for blood pressure but like Ayurveda?)

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:03 pm
malkyderhn wrote:
not equating by any means but a medical advice from a stranger just does not seem right

just my opinion

Who's giving advice to strangers? You're the first person to say such a thing. OP was all rankled up about advice from "a nice lady she is close with".

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
Who's giving advice to strangers? You're the first person to say such a thing. OP was all rankled up about advice from "a nice lady she is close with".

I think that's the point. When someone is dealing with a health crisis, they're seeking support, not advice. they're probably overwhelmed with information about the prescribed course of action and don't need to be discombobulated with extra opinions.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:55 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I’ve just spent the last ten minutes checking on this ridiculous claim that only children develop asthma and that it is almost always resolved by the time childhood passes.

Absolutely not true. I invite you to research your comments before making such ridiculous statements.

https://www.lung.ca/asthma

Actually, I am in very close contact with a medical professor at an Ivy League college that has extensively researched asthma, allergies and eczema. The majority of these conditions are completely resolved before teenage-hood, though some specific cases may persist.

I suggest you research these conditions by delving into medical texts that existed before the 1950s. After that point, medical info gets screwed up.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
Not necessarily. Many MDs recommend alternative medicine too, including oncologists.

And all those who have PhDs in aleternative integrative medicine. There are many doctors who are starting to realize that the pure "western medicine" approach is not the only science based way to practice medicine

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:17 pm
I haven't read the rest of the thread but am posting anyway because this really hits a nerve for me. This behavior (which I recognize is well-meaning) is why I like closed groups for discussing health issues. It's one thing if I have a cold and someone tells me I should take some vitamin or drink lemon juice or whatever, but when it comes to long-running and/or serious illness it's hurtful, frustrating, and not helpful. When I was depressed I didn't need everyone to tell me I needed to exercise (I know it helps but it was also hard and I don't need to be remind of my failure), or take a vitamin, or take a random antidepressant, or cut out gluten, or whatever. I've probably already tried whatever is being suggested, or I already know it's hocus-pocus, or it's something that is not possible for me for some reason out of my control, or it's implying that I'm too stupid or negligent to take care of myself, or whatever. The closed groups mean I can discuss things with people who are knowledgable, sympathetic, and aren't going to tell me about something their friend Cheryl's mom's cousin used to solve problem.

Just provide sympathy, not advice, and ask what you can do. Smile OK, got the vent out, please return to the regular thread.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette