Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What foods to start feeding baby?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:11 pm
I want to start my baby on solids.
My pediatrician told me to start with baby cereal mixed with breastmilk, but I've also heard to start with protein or green veg jars instead of starting with carbs.
Also, mixing breastmilk with cereal won't be easy for me, as my baby already eats everything I pump! I don't have extra.

What have you tried, and what did your 5 month old baby like at first?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 6:23 pm
do baby led weaning. such a game changer. read the book for a complete education

also, 5 months is a little early. most pediatricians are not up to date on current research which says 6 months, when baby can hold himself upright unassisted and liver and gut are more fully developed

baby cereal has no special nutritional value. no reason not to start with banana, soft sweet potato, etc

also at this age, breastmilk or formula should be primary source of nutrition, food is for fun under one

signed, mom of a baby whose dr also said to give solids "bc not gaining enough weight", said baby was crawling, standing and walking way before normal and just happens to be skinny

essie14

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:12 am
I make my own fruit and vegetable purees. It's incredibly easy and much cheaper. I started my baby on rice cereal mixed with water. You can flavor it with some fruit puree if you want.
After a few days of that, I gave her strained peas, then I started her on fruit like applesauce, pears, mashed bananas.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:50 am
Thank you essie14. I ended up trying out baby oatmeal mixed with breastmilk. My baby loved it!
Maybe I'll try avocado next, in a few days.

Trixx, thanks for your response but it wasn't helpful for numerous reasons.
1. I'm not interested in baby led weaning. I'm just introducing food so he gets used to eating, not as a main source of nutrition. I'm obviously mostly breastfeeding him.
2. My other child took a looong time to learn how to eat (close to 2 years) and I'd like to avoid that problem if I can.
3. Banana and sweet potato are very sweet. I'd rather that not be the first foods I introduce, or perhaps my baby won't like regular, less sweet foods (protein, other veggies) afterwards, having grown used to the sweet foods.
4. Baby cereal certainly does have nutrients but that's irelevant because I am fully breastfeeding him and giving him liquid vitamins, so he is getting all necessary nutrients.

Weight gain is no problem with this baby thankfully. He is huge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics