Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Your opinion

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:13 pm
please do not bash and only participate if you have something meaningful to contribute
I am not stating that I support this in any way but am much curious on the consensus

"The Talmud, in tractate Yevamot (76a) [also Shabbat 65a] brings the opinion of R. Huna that women who engage in Lesbian relations are forbidden to marry a Kohen. The reason for this prohibition according to Rashi and other commentators in Yevamot; Tosafot, Ramban, Ritva (attributed to the Rabbenu Nissim) and the Me'iri is because they were engaged in forbidden conduct and gained the status of a "zona".
Though the opinion of R. Huna that they are forbidden to marry a Kohen was not accepted, it does not diminish the negative view taken towards such conduct. The conclusion of this issue in the Talmud is that though such women are not forbidden to marry a Kohen, such conduct is regarded as a "mere obscenity." (pritzuta b'alma).
The terminology "mere obscenity" can leave the wrong impression as nothing so bad happened. This interpretation is incorrect.
The Rambam (Maimonides) (Rambam Issurei Biya 21: 8) says that to this conduct we apply the verse (Vayikra 18.3) "Do not follow the ways of Egypt where you once lived, nor of Canaan, where I will be bringing you. Do not follow [any] of their customs."
The Semag (Lavin 126, Sefer Mitzvot Hagadol of R. Moshe of Coucy [born 1200]) holds the same view as the Rambam, as well as the Tur (Rabbi Yaacov b' Harosh) on Even Ha'ezer 20.
The quoting of the verse is to say that lesbianism is prohibited by Torah law. [See Otzar Haposkim on Even Ha'ezer 20, which quote many commentators (Levush, Tzofnat Pa'neach, Atzei Arazim) who understand the Rambam's opinion that lesbianism is forbidden by Torah law.] The Rambam, Semag and Tur all quote Chazal in the Sifra- Torat Cohanim on Achrei Mot (this week's Parsha) which brings an example of the "ways"of Egypt that a woman would marry a woman.

Finally, the Shulchan Aruch Even Ha'ezer 20:2 that lesbianism is prohibited based on the verse in the Torah (Vayikra 18.3) "Do not follow the ways of Egypt where you once lived, nor of Canaan, where I will be bringing you." and the other sources mentioned above. The ruling of the Shulchan Aruch is uncontested by any other sources in Jewish law. "

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:37 pm
I'm curious as to your opinion. Did you think the Torah would sanction same-gender relations, even where Zera Levatala is not applicable?

Certain behaviors are intended to be kept in the framework of a union based on kedusha - the marriage of a man and woman together. It would stand to reason that any marital-type acts outside of that framework would be forbidden, or at least strongly discouraged.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:43 pm
you are looking for my opinion one what exactly? if I agree with the analysis?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:03 pm
Actually, I had this discussion with dh at one point. He said that this relationship is definitely not in the same category as two men, and there are opinions in the Gemarah, like you said, that it's considered a "shtus".

I don't know what normative halacha would be, probably frowned upon, but completely assur? Why don't you ask you LOR LOL .

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 4:41 am
My opinion is that you should have included a link to the page that you copied that from, http://www.yeshiva.co/ask/?id=4910 (or perhaps the same article appeared elsewhere, these "ask the rabbi" q&a's sometimes show up in more than one place).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics