Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Stranger Vomiting on Subway Platform WWYD?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 5:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
No, I wouldn't call the police. I'm so puzzled at this.

But I wouldn't approach either, because yes, what if she's drunk? Plus I don't deal well with vomiting. If she was feeling bad/fainting, I would approach. I would also approach someone pregnant in any difficult situation because that's me bh.

Chances are that if someone is throwing up because of pregnancy, she's not showing yet. How would you know?

You don't have to get close enough for her to hit you, just close enough to ask if she needs help.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:54 am
Yeah. I probably wouldn't go near. I wonder if my husband would. If he has helped a pregnant Muslim woman being beaten up by other Muslim women (yes, I know, wth!), stood by an old lady who fell from her bike waiting for the firemen when no one would, etc. I'm gonna ask him.

edited: he reminded me of that during ebola times, people would run away and call the police. LOL is that what people mean calling? In any case he said he's not going near and you don't need help throwing up. If she falls then he calls the firemen. Methinks he doesn't like vomit Wink

Last edited by Ruchel on Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:01 am
No only bc nowadays it is dangerous bc too many stories about ppl. Helping a "victim" who turned on them. I am not trusting. Also, stay away from vomit. It can carry diseases if the person is sick bc bodily fluids can carry......

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:08 am
If I had a fresh water or can easily get I would give that ask from a distance of they need medical assistance and walk away because sadly you cannot trust strangers

esther11

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:14 am
I’ve been that person, sometimes people offered help and sometimes not. I personally did not want any help, it was way more mortifying! I was in a public bathroom throwing up and a lady outside asked if I was ok..I said yes, thanks, I’m expecting. She said she would wait for me outside for a couple minutes. I hid in the bathroom until I heard her leave!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 7:54 am
So, a stranger in a subway station we should try to help but our dear friend with a brain tumor we should mind our own business. Got it. I learn so much here.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 8:34 am
I don't understand why approaching someone and standing at a normal distance would be dangerous. Why would a person decide to lunge at me more than if I were just walking by at a normal distance.

Certainly I would ask the person if they needed anything. If I had a water bottle, I would offer it - and a candy and tissue.

If the person looked out of it etc., I would call 911 and report it. I am not understanding the significance of the policeman walking away - did he actually see it and decide that it wasn't important or was it perhaps something he missed.

This reminds me of the Kitty Genovese story where 20 or 30 people heard her screaming as she was raped and killed but no one even called the police. This occurred in NYC during the 1960's - a nice middle class area of Queens FWIW.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 10:10 am
Unfortunately in today's days I've lost trust in people. The world become so crazy that it's dangerous to just talk to & offer help to strangers. This is want the world has unfortunately come to, we always feel that we need to protect ourself. I started feeling very unsafe in public areas lately.
We can't & shouldn't trust just anyone.

Laiya

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 10:18 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't understand why approaching someone and standing at a normal distance would be dangerous. Why would a person decide to lunge at me more than if I were just walking by at a normal distance.

Certainly I would ask the person if they needed anything. If I had a water bottle, I would offer it - and a candy and tissue.

If the person looked out of it etc., I would call 911 and report it. I am not understanding the significance of the policeman walking away - did he actually see it and decide that it wasn't important or was it perhaps something he missed.

This reminds me of the Kitty Genovese story where 20 or 30 people heard her screaming as she was raped and killed but no one even called the police. This occurred in NYC during the 1960's - a nice middle class area of Queens FWIW.

I fully agree with you, but the Kitty genovese story of urban indifference has been debunked.

rgr

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 10:28 am
Bodily fluids spread infectious disease.
That said, offer water, tissues etc at a safe distance

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 10:59 am
This reminds me of a story my first responder instructor told us in high school. How she watched drunk looking guy tuble down a flight of stails and landed with cracked open skull amd brain matter everyhere in the nyc subway. While everyone passed. She stopped. Everyone assumed he was drunk. (Including her. But she still went down to help) But he was diabetic and his blood sugar suddenly dipped....
Vomiting doesn't have to mean drunk. And wven if they are drunk they are still feeling sick and need help. Telling an MTA employee or calling the police, if you dont feel safe, is a good idea.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 12:47 pm
Ruchel wrote:
... he has helped a pregnant Muslim woman being beaten up by other Muslim women (yes, I know, wth!),

I don't know why that merits a wth, please explain.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 12:56 pm
Many times in life I wished I would have done something differently.
But I learned to use the bad feeling as a catalyst for growth.
I wished I would have looked in on my paternal grandfather as he was struggling with age and illness. The guilt edged me on to be there for my maternal grandmother when she was aging. And after her passing I starting noticing all the elderly around me who could use company. I just taught a homebound woman how to play soduko, something she always wanted to (but thought she was too old to learn...
Is there a sister in law that could use more camaraderie but people are too busy noticing her ..(of course there is enough time for the more popular family members..)
Is their a lonely soul on your block or at work that could use some goodwill?...
Is their a parent or in law in your life that could use a "how's your day" phone call? or a 5 minute visit just to show your connected.
GROWTH AND MORE GROWTH IS THE NAME OF THE GAME.
GUILT AND MORE GUILT IS JUST TO MAIM.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 1:17 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Why on earth were muslim women beating up muslim women?

(The wth wasn't about the helping)

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
Why on earth were muslim women beating up muslim women?

(The wth wasn't about the helping)

It was one woman beating up another woman. Same "why on earth' would a husband assault his wife. Some humans do that.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 1:45 pm
I once briefly fainted on the subway on a hot day while pregnant. Lots of people offered to help.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 2:36 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Sad that this need an explanation, but ok: it's awful to beat a pregnant woman.Shocked, really

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 4:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
No, I wouldn't call the police. I'm so puzzled at this.

But I wouldn't approach either, because yes, what if she's drunk? Plus I don't deal well with vomiting. If she was feeling bad/fainting, I would approach. I would also approach someone pregnant in any difficult situation because that's me bh.

Agree with you. This is not a reason to call the police.

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:07 am
This is my story though no subways were involved.

30 years ago I started HS - Bnos Leah Prospect Park Yeshiva (BLOPPY for short). A wonderful school on Ave R between E16 and E17 in Flatbush (Midwood?)

At the time I lived in BP, 51st St between 11th and 12th Ave. There was no easy way to get to school before 8:45am. I did have a bus pass but in "those days" you could only choose either bus or train, not a combo pass. The traffic with the bus was a nightmare, the train only solution involved going way out of the way (down to Coney Island with the B train and then back with the D or Q). The only way to get to school on time with MTA transportation was to leave my house at 6:30am and walk backwards on the bus route to 9th Avenue in the hopes of getting on to the B11. And then either pay for the train or wait for several full B68 busses to pass by before getting on one that would get me to Ave R.

OR
I could take the Hanukov van (that I had to pay for) that for some reason, b'chasdei Hashem, went along the B11 route in BP, down the service road on Ocean Parkway, down Kings Highway to Coney Island Ave, and stopped on Ave R, exactly where I needed to be.

Amazing. Well, except for getting to school late on occasion (a big no no in a school that prides itself on punctuality). Oh, and one more thing. I get car sick. Really car sick. Living in BP, I walked to BYBP elementary school. We very rarely went anywhere, even shopping was mostly done by foot and shopping cart. Trains took us to NYC. I'm actually ok on a train, it's busses, planes, - and vans. The smell of diesel on a van, especially with all the stops - and a driver who insisted on speeding between stop signs - all contributed to the following:
Every day I'd get off the van. Cross Coney Island Avenue. Tell myself today is going to be different. Take a few more steps. Vomit. Puke Yes, on the street. I tried everything short of Dramamine (which I wasn't going to take because then I'd be sleeping all day). Nothing helped.

Because of the timing was there was one Frum lady that usually witnessed me - she walked on Ave R towards Coney. She never once stopped to ask if I was ok, never said anything. I read her expression as one of disgust - I wish I had seen compassion or sympathy in her eyes... I couldn't fathom why I was being judged so harshly for having motion sickness!

At some point the start of school was changed to 8:40. I could not legitimately avail myself to a mode of transportation that physically could not get me to school on time so I ended up choosing one of the other options for the remainder of my HS years.

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:18 am
I was once on the city bus in the middle of the day. A teenage public school girl started throwing up. I assumed she left school early because she was sick. Everyone ignored her. I handed her a bunch of tissues. She looked so grateful! She had nothing to clean herself off. I was pretty horrified that everyone ignored her.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette