Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Urgent care
Previous  1  2

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 7:44 am
amother wrote:
I agree that primary care doctors aren't infallible, all doctors are people.

And for the record, of course I told the doctor about my allergy. So he didn't give me the name I said, just an analog with a different name, but I wasn't familiar with it so I didn't know it was an analog, until I got home and looked it up just to be sure. Obviously there are urgent care doctors who are wonderful too. But you never know what you are going to get.

As for urgent care vs. ER, we don't have an ER nearby. That's why urgent care is so valuable. She didn't even need to go to the hospital in the end, because they were able to give her the care she needed at urgent care (x-rays, blood tests, additional fever reducers, antibiotics, and steroid treatment), but they could have sent us in an ambulance if needed, thank G-d we didn't. Not all towns have hospitals and urgent care is equipped for these kinds of things for that reason. Can't replace an ER, but is often a good first stop. Not all urgent care clinics are the same, it really depends where you live.

I'm not sure what you mean by analog. I'm guessing you don't mean generic name. My guess would you you are allergic to penicillins and the doc gave you a cephalosporin which is a related class of medication but most people are not allergic to both and only can't try cephalosporins or have specific type of allergic reaction.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 7:51 am
I’m posting this anonymously because we’ve told so many people about what happened to us this year.

We were very limited in our area as to what pediatricians we could take her child to because we have medical assistance and none of the popular pediatricians here take medical assistance. It went to a dr who is excellent as a practitioner and as a diagnostician, but the wait time in her office is unacceptable and totally unreasonable. I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that for an appointment, I’d be waiting in the office for at least three hours. Sick visit, forget about it. They can’t get you in. I started having to take my kids to urgent care for throat cultures and ear infections because I literally did that have 3 1/2 hours to wait. One time I picked up my son from school and called the pediatrician because he was screaming in pain with an ear infection. I told them that I was halfway between urgent care and their office and I prefer to go to their office, and ask how long the wait time would be. She told me for a quick ear check, we will be taken back right away and seen immediately. I was there for 45 mins, before they saw us, I complained multiple times and finally I said I was leaving and that’s when they took me. The dr wasnt even there. In this case, it was the doctors fault, she didn’t employ any nurses and her office stuff was post seminary girls. I’ve lived in a few cities where the drs don’t employ any other professional staff other than themselves. And this was what I felt was the best that we could get where we were living. We had tried other offices and I liked this doctor the best. But my kids couldn’t be seen for their annual check ups or six visits. The kids had their annual check ups a good eight months after there’s was due and that’s when I tried scheduling it three months in advance! The people at urgent care told me that they saw a lot of patients who said that their primary pediatrician was the same as mine. I finally had enough and I found another pediatric practice in my area that many people don’t know about.

This practice has amazing quality of care, open sick call hours every morning and every afternoon, and we have never ever had a wait time. Their policy is that they don’t want anybody ever going to urgent care and they handle their own on call hours and they do their own after hours calls also.

We walked in from my child’s first healthy check up visit since joining this practice and the pediatrician did one simple test that saved my son’s eyesight. I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that it literally saved his vision. No other doctor has ever thought to do this. But thats an ad for the new practice.

Bottom line is that both my pediatrician as well as my local urgent cares providers have told me that urgent care is for truly urgent situations. That means that the visit cannot wait. In my case, and many others in my area, we had no choice because our pediatrician simply could not handle her caseload and that is very common with medical assistance doctors in my area. That’s a whole other thread to discuss issues with medical assistance.

Even the urgent care who makes their money from people coming in because their babies are crying in the middle of the night, thinks that you should really judge why you’re coming to see them. They really arent there for crying babies with no fever. Before you take your child to the ER or to urgent care, you should call your pediatrician is after hours phone number and it wait to be directed by that doctor to go either there, the emergency room, or sit it out until the morning.

And after my experience with our new pediatrician who is so amazing, I’m convinced that there is a doctor out there for everybody, you just have to find them. And to the poster who thinks that these doctors don’t exist anymore, they absolutely do.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:27 pm
Thank you for all of your responses. It was very helpful to me. Lime, who is this wonderful doctor that you go to?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for all of your responses. It was very helpful to me. Lime, who is this wonderful doctor that you go to?

Watchemsprout pediatrics
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics