Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How come people don't care about being fat?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 9  10  11  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:10 am
southernbubby wrote:
The government of the state of Michigan now has a radio ad asking everyone to pledge losing 10% of their body weight and then the state gives them something to show for it but since I listen to the radio while driving, I missed hearing what the prize was. The idea is that losing 10% reduces the likelihood of serious illnesses. They are not advocating being underweight; the whole idea is to avoid illness. I don't know how many takers that they have because they say the whole thing so fast that it is hard to remember the website that you are supposed to log onto. And, if I were truly committed to following their advice, which wouldn't be a bad idea, I would find out how to log onto it.

Skinny people get bad illnesses too.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
OP here. I am well aware that many people have medical or other issues that prevent weight loss. I know that a lot of people do eat healthy and still can't lose weight. Anyone who has a healthy lifestyle, I am not asking this question to. I know that many people who are overweight do not eat junk. I specifically said that I see some people who do this. I understand that for some people it isn't a choice and it isn't their fault that their medical condition or other factors affect their weight. I was addressing this question to people who consciously do not eat healthy and are fully aware that they are eating junk food.

One thing that I also learned the hard way, weight is a loaded issue. I once asked online why parents of obese children kept junk food in the house and got really slammed. One bubby told me in person that her obese grandchild could easily down 6 pieces of fruit at a time so keeping chips out of the house was not preventing the child from gaining frightening amounts of weight.
For those who can't lose weight, there probably are ways that they could but those solutions usually cost time and money and so those people are not able to utilize those solutions.
And yes, for some, it is a matter of will-power.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
OP here. I am well aware that many people have medical or other issues that prevent weight loss. I know that a lot of people do eat healthy and still can't lose weight. Anyone who has a healthy lifestyle, I am not asking this question to. I know that many people who are overweight do not eat junk. I specifically said that I see some people who do this. I understand that for some people it isn't a choice and it isn't their fault that their medical condition or other factors affect their weight. I was addressing this question to people who consciously do not eat healthy and are fully aware that they are eating junk food.

I conciously do not eat perfectly, and that sometimes involves eating junk food with awareness. I think I explained my choices fairly well in a post upthread. I read through everyone elses, and felt that many other people also gave good answers. Many of them involved the idea eating healthy/being thin does not eqaul feeling good in any way. It's great that your healthy lifestyle and resulting body make you feel good and happy. It seems like the disconnect is that you don't understand that not everyone has the same experience as you. There are some people (like me) who don't feel better being healthier and thinner. Would you continue to eat so well and excercise if you did NOT subsequently feel better AT ALL?

What do you think? Do you feel that your question has been answered? Do you have follow-up questions for any of us?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
Skinny people get bad illnesses too.

But this government initiative of to prevent those illnesses that are caused buy being overweight. It is an attempt, anyway to prevent those illnesses which is all anyone can do.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:22 am
amother wrote:

I said this already but just want to point out again that not everyone feels the same pull and cravings towards eating certain things.

So clearly, you think that you wanted to eat donuts, chocolate, etc really badly but managed to withstand the cravings, so should everyone else be able to and if they don't it must mean that they are just not as motivated as you are.

What you don't realize is that their cravings may be way worse than yours. Particularly once you lose a significant amount of weight- formerly overweight people's brains are sending them a barrage of messages telling them to eat sugar (or whatever it is) that is incredibly difficult to withstand.

I have a number of children and from a young age, while they all enjoy candy, some of them clearly feel a stronger pull towards it than others.

To give you something to think about. . . I lost about 70 lbs and have maintained it for a number of years. Initially though, despite being determined to keep it off, and stay away from unhealthy foods, I couldn't do it and I saw my weight creeping back. My dr recommended vyvanse (it's FDA approved as an appetite suppressant) and since then I have been able to keep it off. I take it around 5 out of 7 days every week and notice a HUGE difference (in being able to withstand the cravings) on the days I take it. Perhaps your brain in it's standard operating mode is like my brain only when it's on vyvanse!

MrsDash

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:25 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Back at ya Mrs. D. You were one of the voices I followed on here before I registered.

Awe shucks, you’re making me blush embarrassed Smile

(If you ever find yourself in the Midwest, look me up! Something tells me we’d get along swell.)

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
I said this already but just want to point out again that not everyone feels the same pull and cravings towards eating certain things.

So clearly, you think that you wanted to eat donuts, chocolate, etc really badly but managed to withstand the cravings, so should everyone else be able to and if they don't it must mean that they are just not as motivated as you are.

What you don't realize is that their cravings may be way worse than yours. Particularly once you lose a significant amount of weight- formerly overweight people's brains are sending them a barrage of messages telling them to eat sugar (or whatever it is) that is incredibly difficult to withstand.

I have a number of children and from a young age, while they all enjoy candy, some of them clearly feel a stronger pull towards it than others.

To give you something to think about. . . I lost about 70 lbs and have maintained it for a number of years. Initially though, despite being determined to keep it off, and stay away from unhealthy foods, I couldn't do it and I saw my weight creeping back. My dr recommended vyvanse (it's FDA approved as an appetite suppressant) and since then I have been able to keep it off. I take it around 5 out of 7 days every week and notice a HUGE difference (in being able to withstand the cravings) on the days I take it. Perhaps your brain in it's standard operating mode is like my brain only when it's on vyvanse!

So interesting that your dr told you to take vyvanse. It as adhd medication. Appetite suppression is a side effect. Do u have add as well?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
So interesting that your dr told you to take vyvanse. It as adhd medication. Appetite suppression is a side effect. Do u have add as well?

I don't have ADD (nor do I notice any impact on my focus etc on the days that I take it). Vyvanse was approved by the FDA to treat binge eating disorder about 3 years ago (google it for more information).

MrsDash

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:51 am
Listen, OP-Wheat, it’s not a black and white issue. There’s so much gray, you’d think you’re a canine.

As a sufferer of endometriosis, I had the choice to be in constant agony, or intermittent agony. Agony meant I got to eat anything and everything, junk food galore, baked goods, carbs, so many carbs, and my BMI remained nice and low. Is it worth it, though? Is it worth the debilitating pain I experience on a daily basis? The other option is medication that stops the production of estrogen, which essentially puts me in a menopausal-like state. This lowers my BMR, which means lower metabolism, and quicker, easier weight gain, while at the same time, halts my ability to lose weight.

I work in the fitness world where I’m active pretty much 6 days a week, doing hours of cardio and strength training a day. But hold on a second, I’m gaining weight! Better lower my nosh consumption and up my fiber and protein. Scale tells me that I’m gaining, not losing weight. Well okay. “Yes, I’d like a small Diet Coke and 3 large milk shakes with extra whipped topping and caramel drizzle.” —Tears streaming down my puffy cheeks, slowly drying up as the sweet goodness of my 1000 calorie milk shake makes its way down my gullet.— Oh how wonderful I feel at this very moment, but wait, why is there an anonymous wheat stalk glaring at me while shaking its wheaty head in disappointment? They look kind of sad and frail. Shall I offer them one of my milk shakes? Decisions, decisions. Hmm...

nylon

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:24 pm
So I see a lot of posts explaining "I'm fat because XYZ." and this isn't to bash anyone or their reasons. Weight is hard.

But maybe I'm fat because I have an illness. Maybe I'm fat because I eat deep fried butter balls three times a day and down them with Coke. It doesn't matter. It isn't anyone else's business except your doctor's. I decided that I would no longer justify myself because this only accepts the idea that fat is acceptable if you can't help it but a moral failing if you can change. Maybe someone has healthy habits; maybe they don't. But you (general you) don't have the right to judge or to say some people are acceptable and some are not. The entire OP is based on a false premise about not caring. The only answer to it is to mind your own business. People have so much time on their hands that they are REALLY worrying about the health of people they don't know? I don't think so. I think they want a reason to judge people for being fat, because it's morally wrong to be fat. Asking "Why don't you care" assumes I should care for the reasons you think I should.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:45 pm
southernbubby wrote:
But this government initiative of to prevent those illnesses that are caused buy being overweight. It is an attempt, anyway to prevent those illnesses which is all anyone can do.

And here I was, thinking it is an attempt to reel us in to use yet another one of their services, drugs, doctors, treatments.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
And here I was, thinking it is an attempt to reel us in to use yet another one of their services, drugs, doctors, treatments.

Did you see the link? I didn't find that.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:56 pm
southernbubby, I'm sure you mean well but you seem to have quite an outdated knowledge of and attitude towards food, nutrition, weight.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 4:13 pm
oliveoil wrote:
southernbubby, I'm sure you mean well but you seem to have quite an outdated knowledge of and attitude towards food, nutrition, weight.

Well, when I did lose weight it was through the use of lots of fiber and low starch veggies. They now say that pasta that is firm is not too bad but soggy pasta should be avoided and there is a more tolerant attitude about some extra weight but there are those who show signs of pre-diabetes at even slightly elevated weights.

If you know of a better way to lose weight, I am more than happy to know what it is. I just don't think that anyone should say that an overweight person can't lose, regardless of the cause of being overweight. Many people can lose weight, if they find the right approach, but I realize that the modern attitude is to say that a person's weight is genetic or is the result of situations beyond a person's control so therefore they should not worry about it. I would personally not want to operate under that assumption.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 4:24 pm
From what I understand, pasta turns into a glue-y thingy that clogs the walls of the organs. Making absorption of minerals difficult. Making tge organs heavy and prone to prolapse.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
From what I understand, pasta turns into a glue-y thingy that clogs the walls of the organs. Making absorption of minerals difficult. Making tge organs heavy and prone to prolapse.

Do you have any science to back that up?

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 4:01 pm
Fat is a physical issue, not a moral one. There are people out there who genuinely believe that if you are thin, you are actually a better person than someone who is fat. Not surprisingly, this attitude isn't helpful in developing healthy habits. It would help if we could think on terms of health, not dress sizes.

WastingTime

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 4:46 pm
No time to read this whole thread but the question is a little ridiculous. ' How come people don't care'? And the fact that 'people' don't only eat carrot sticks means they 'don't care' about their appearance? Like I don't exercise enough because I don't care about being healthy? Or maybe I don't spend enough bonding time with my kids because I don't care about them? Is it possible our actions and desires don't always match?

This a big aside because it's good if people 'don't care'. They should care about feeling good not about other people thinking they look good. Although I don't practice it (see , again...) I am a big believer in intuitive eating. If those 'people' would forbid themselves chocolate and donuts it would probably not do any long term good anyway. The point is to make peace with yourself and food, not run and hide from it until it haunts you.

happy12

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 7:07 pm
I believe in intuitive eating. I am over weight but bh healthy. About size 12- 14 but fit.
I have a good friend who lost 100 lb pounds on OA. She was constantly telling me to go on the program .I told her I'm not an emotional eater so it's not for me to lose 20 pounds.
After two years of bothering me I made a deal with her. I won't discuss her eating habits and she won't discuss mine.
(Ironically. The 20 years I knew her when she was morbidly obese I never mentioned food or weight to her once but once she lost her weight she feels she must SAVE everyone)

Emotional

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 7:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I would like to see those studies. Our family has hypothyroidism and my sister, who has been on thyroid medicine for years, is very thin and has never been overweight.

That line of reasoning is right up there with "My friend has 19 children, works 60 hours a week, makes gourmet suppers and only needs two hours of sleep per month. If she can do it, why can't you?"
Your sister is very fortunate that she has escaped being overweight. But any endocrinologist will tell you that unexplained weight gain & extreme difficulty losing it is a classic symptom for MOST people with hypothyroidism.

southernbubby wrote:
Other than Cushings syndrome, what illnesses cause obesity?

You're actually on the right track with this one, because Cushing's is a disorder of the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands work in synch with the thyroid gland. Basically the adrenal hormones have to be balanced in order for the cells to properly absorb thyroid hormone, including thyroid medication. If, as in my case, the adrenal glands are out of whack, popping all the thyroid meds in the world ain't gonna help, and may even exacerbate the situation.
Southernbubby, I know you mean well, but perhaps there are things people suffer with that are outside your area of knowledge and expertise.
Page 5 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise