Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Spinoff: How come people don't care about being fat?
1  2  3  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:57 am
Alright so it seems most people's response was that medications were the culprit for the weight gain and not the cookies and chocolate. So "overweight" ladies I am curious what do you eat? How much do you eat? How often do you eat? I am not the op of the original thread but I always feel like I am relentless with my eating yet I am only 8 pounds overweight according to BMI chart. Made me always wonder how much more are overweight people eating as I never see my overweight friends eat while I am always shoveling food in..

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:00 am
Why does it make a difference to you what they eat?

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:37 am
It is because I have a lot of shame regarding my eating and am unsure if I eat too much.

tweety1

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:43 am
Excuse me for being blunt, my your post comes across very insensitive. Who cares how much we eat? Who says we don't care?? Just cuz we don't complain abt it day in day out (just ask my dh on this one) doesn't mean we don't care. Who says we don't diet? Do you how hard I'm working on trying to loose weight? Who says I'm eating alot?? Do you have an inkling on my eating habits?? Do you know how hard I'm struggling to loose but bh cuz I have a nursing Baby these pounds won't budge? Despite the fact that im on a low carb diet the last 2 months?!
Please some sensitivity here.

heidi

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 3:28 am
I actually wonder the same thing. I love salad and chicken-- it's my main source of food. So why am I morbidly obese?? I eat nosh very very infrequently. Even on Shabbos, I'll have maybe a cookie. Stay away from carbs. Exercise 3 times a week--high intensity, with a personal trainer. Now that I'm on weight watchers I've actually increased my food intake and I'm losing-- extremely slowly-- and if I go one point over one day, that's it for the week--my thyroid is fine.
So you tell me OP-- whyyyyyyyyyy am I so fat?????

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 3:37 am
amother wrote:
It is because I have a lot of shame regarding my eating and am unsure if I eat too much.

How does it seem to you that knowing how much other people eat would help you with that?

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 3:53 am
You see, OP, we would all love if it was that simple.

You weigh X lb, exercise at X% efficacy X number of minutes per week, and eat X number of calories = you will gain / lose X lb.

However, it's far more complex than that.

You will find those who eat a loaf of bread every day and are skinny, and those who eat half the same loaf and weigh twice as much.

You will find those who eat incredible amounts of nosh and potato chips all the time and are slim, and those who eat balanced meals and are obese.

We still don't know all of the variables involved, but a lot of it is built in.

Some theories propose that we have a natural plateau weight which it will be very hard to budge from if we don't diet or deliberately overeat. Others ascribe success to different sources of calories (sugar = bad, fat = good), for example.

Either way, despite American expectations, a person can be overweight and HEALTHY.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 8:22 am
I was always very skinny.
Then... I had a baby. And there are 8 pounds glued to my hips and belly that just won’t go away.
Even though it’s been 8 months.
Even though I stopped nursing.
Even though I barely eat ( breakfast- nothing or a bowl of cereal, lunch- 1 1/2 slices ww bread veggies, dinner- protein and veggie side snack-banana)
So.... why do I am I fat?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 8:33 am
SuperWify wrote:
Then... I had a baby. And there are 8 pounds glued to my hips and belly that just won’t go away.
Even though I barely eat ( breakfast- nothing or a bowl of cereal, lunch- 1 1/2 slices ww bread veggies, dinner- protein and veggie side snack-banana)

I exercised when I had this problem. Diet and exercise together really helped get rid of extra weight.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 8:38 am
I eat a lot. I am sixty pounds overweight. I could lose weight by reducing my daily calories but it's not a priority for me right now. I am busy raising my family, working and making money and trying to survive.

I grew up with a bpd mother and I felt alone and afraid from when I was a young child. Food was something I could ingest inside to warm me over and keep me sane. It made me feel more centered and soothed my anxiety.

That said, I still would love to lose weight. I want to enjoy my looks instead of self soothing all day with food. But it's hard to heal from a broken attachment. And in the meanwhile the food helps me live and survive my life. Which is very blessed by the way.

...And fat rises to the top! So a cheer to all of is fatties! L'chaim and enjoy your sweets and treats. I'll keep some extra out for you:)

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
I exercised when I had this problem. Diet and exercise together really helped get rid of extra weight.

Good for you!
Doesn’t work for me

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 9:02 am
heidi wrote:
I actually wonder the same thing. I love salad and chicken-- it's my main source of food. So why am I morbidly obese?? I eat nosh very very infrequently. Even on Shabbos, I'll have maybe a cookie. Stay away from carbs. Exercise 3 times a week--high intensity, with a personal trainer. Now that I'm on weight watchers I've actually increased my food intake and I'm losing-- extremely slowly-- and if I go one point over one day, that's it for the week--my thyroid is fine.
So you tell me OP-- whyyyyyyyyyy am I so fat?????

You probably have a thrifty gene that causes your body to slow the metabolism to keep the weight but you see that you are losing on WW, even though it is slow. I think that their mascot is a turtle but their philosophy is it do it slowly and keep the weight off than to crash diet and not be able to maintain the loss.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 9:05 am
SuperWify wrote:

It looks to me like products such as Benefiber (the CVS version is cheaper and has a star k) added to water, could cause the food to leave the system faster, that and drinking lots of water. Some people find that probiotics help.

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 9:06 am
SuperWify wrote:

The time I did best on weight watchers was when I was nursing. Nursing can help you lose weight too.

But 8 pounds is not a lot. (how tall are you?) Maybe you were underweight before. Even so its baffling that you eat so little and don't lose weight.

You might also have a seperated muscle (called diastasis recti) from pregnancy which gives you a big stomach.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 9:28 am
Raisin wrote:
The time I did best on weight watchers was when I was nursing. Nursing can help you lose weight too.

Nursing is equally likely to make it harder to lose weight. Many many women can't lose weight while nursing and some even gain.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 9:57 am
I think there are certain foods that some people can handle and other can.t I don't have celliac, but I cannot eat wheat without gaining weight. When I cut out gluten (and eat normal amounts of everything else including sugar) I am a healthy weight.

hormones make a huge difference not only in weight loss but in appetite and matabilisim. When I was hypothyroid there was absolutely nothing I could have done to lose weight--at once point I was practically anorexic and it made no difference. When I am pregnant I gain 50 lbs no matter what I eat, and when I nurse I cannot lose one lb. To me, that is all hormonal. The second I wean (if I am off gluten and my thyroid is ok) I drop 2-5 lbs a week not changing my diet.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 10:26 am
SuperWify wrote:
Good for you!
Doesn’t work for me

No offense meant. You didn’t mention a word about exercise in your post.

Now that you say you do. Not all exercise is the same. And some people think they’re exercising but they’re really not doing it effectively, long enough, or often enough.

Optione

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 1:24 pm
I almost never let posts get to me. I believe that your intention was not to be degrading and insensitive, but to me it was both.

There are dozens of factors. If nothing else, everyone has a different metabolism. Do you really think that there aren't skinny people who overeat? I can think of a few.

If you really want to know if you're eating too much, visit a nutritionist for a consultation.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
Alright so it seems most people's response was that medications were the culprit for the weight gain and not the cookies and chocolate. So "overweight" ladies I am curious what do you eat? How much do you eat? How often do you eat? I am not the op of the original thread but I always feel like I am relentless with my eating yet I am only 8 pounds overweight according to BMI chart. Made me always wonder how much more are overweight people eating as I never see my overweight friends eat while I am always shoveling food in..

Don't worry. It will catch up to you. It does for almost everyone. Then you'll understand what a sanctimonious so-and-so you're being.

And just remember, someone on the another thread stated that 8 pounds overweight made her feel like Gigantor the Hippo. So there may well be people looking at YOU and saying "look at that fat woman shoveling it in. Doesn't she CARE?"

nicole81

Post Fri, Nov 10 2017, 2:17 pm
Medication was not responsible for my weight gain. I definitely had metabolic issues that probably were the result of crazy yoyo dieting since my teen years, since I was overweight from the time I was 10. I can tell you that following a strict weight watchers plan, I was able to get down from 240 to 200, but never lower. It was demoralizing and I let the weight creep up again. Years later, I meticulously kept to 1500 calories a day of nutritious food, and worked out intensely 5 times a week. Again, I was able to get down to 200 lbs, but never lower no matter what I did. My body was stuck. Anything greater than 1500 calories and I gained quickly. Anything lower, I was starving, and I didn't lose.

My husband, who I was dating when I was morbidly obese, used to remark how he didn't understand how I ate so little compared to him yet put on weight so easily. That's basically the story of my life. My mom is morbidly obese, as was her mom, and so on and so forth.

A doctor recommended weight loss surgery, saying that because I already had a handle on proper nutrition, I would be the ideal candidate and the surgery would be very likely to "shock" and reset my metabolism. I chose to do this because of the long term health effects of morbid obesity. He was correct, BH, but I can say that I think I actually ate healthier before the surgery. And I was definitely stronger and in better physical shape when I was working out all the time, even at 200 lbs.

Heavy people don't just eat junk all the time and there are a plethora of factors that cause obesity that most people don't understand at all, and even researchers are discovering new truths about obesity every day.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise