Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Words You Used to Pronounce The Way It's Spelled!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:13 pm
And Zaq- Please do remain on this thread. You're comments are delightful. Just get some extra strength ____ and you'll be ok.

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:46 pm
Colonel

Depot (as in Home Dee pot)

My DD who knows how to read tonight corrected her younger brother who doesn't read yet "it's really Gor-met Glatt, not Gor-may."

And this one from my husband, well, I'm not sure if it's just chef lingo (picked up from being a mashgiach in many a hotel kitchen): hors d'oeuvres pronounced as horses ovaries shock

And since I learned much of my vocabulary from reading, at times too quickly, for years I thought the word was teserly, not tersely. Hey, if some really prestigious folk can pronounce it newkyular (nuclear), I can get away with teserly

And because it was mentioned above, if the origin is Spanish (and not Italian) shouldn't it be pronounced as dul-seh de Leche, not dul-cheh?

Ima_Shelli

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:53 pm
Rhetoric
Paradigm
And I've heard epitome butchered too.

zohar

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:26 am
I had to meet a client at a job site that was in a development with streets named after herbs. (There's one, I used to pronounce the h). Guy gives me the address and ads, "it's on the corner of 'thime' " with the th pronounced as in "math". I let it go because I'm not the pronounceation police and I didn't want to embarrass him. We talked for a few more minutes and just before hanging up I confirm with him, "on the corner of thyme (pronounced correctly as time), right?" And he says, "no, thime ( pronounced incorrectly again), T, H,Y,M,E" Banging head

zohar

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:33 am
I was also one of those book worms reading way above their age level. Besides for the ones I already saw here are, synagogue and Egypt. But I figured those out quickly, by the time I was in second grade for sure.

My mother taught us to pronounce forte as "fort"and niche as "neesh". Also cache as "cash".

Also, hyperbole.

salt

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 4:00 am
I remember in about 6th grade, being asked to read out loud in class.

In the passage was the word 'underfed'. I read it as 'un-derfed' (as in rhyming with 'unearthed') -
instead of 'under-fed'.

I read it with great confidence, didn't bother me that I had no clue what the word un-derfed meant. I just carried on. Didn't understand why the whole class including the teacher, had started laughing embarrassed

rowo

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 5:10 am
Lol so so many as a kid!
And now it's so cute to hear my kids do it too.
Last week my son was telling me something about a 'Cha - uffer'
It was very cute and he took the correction with a smile.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 7:20 am
InnerMe wrote:
All those fancy french words I still get confused:
The flavor dulce de' leche. is it dulce de lecha (ye almost like letcho that your grandma makes) or is it la'chay? like all those fancy French words? Or none?

Like another poster pointed out, it's spanish. For some reason, both my parents pronounce pesos, paisos. Why, oh why?

It's difficult for my kids to read english because they're used to spanish which is phonetic.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:41 am
Deep wrote:
Fort (the t is silent) is a masculine adjective. A strength would be "une force". For- tay is actually a legitimate English word derived from French.

Thanks for clarifying!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:47 am
Seashells wrote:
Nostalgia

Nost-ahl -Gee-ah like what is called a hard G.

I have a lot lol.

Generally a g followed by an I or e will be a soft g.
I'm always amazed at how well people who have another first language manage English. You know what they say: People who speak 3 languages are called trilingual. People who speak 2 languages are called bilingual. People who speak one language are called Americans.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:50 am
InnerMe wrote:
Huh? Is that really how it's pronounced?! And not New Orleens?

When I grew up, I was told people from Norfolk say Nawfik. The rest of us Norfolk (norfoke).

iyar

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:02 am
Those mountains that I always called the: Him ah LAY uhz,
are really the: Him MAHL yuhz?
(Or was I right?)

water_bear88

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Generally a g followed by an I or e will be a soft g.
I'm always amazed at how well people who have another first language manage English. You know what they say: People who speak 3 languages are called trilingual. People who speak 2 languages are called bilingual. People who speak one language are called Americans.

I have a running friendly disagreement with dh about how "gif" should be pronounced. He's on the side that says it started as an acronym, the g of which is for "graphics", and should be hard. I'm on the side that says g is soft before e or I and acronyms are pronounced phonetically, rather than according to the pronunciation of their constituent words. I'm curious to see if one eventually supersedes the other as standard pronunciation.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:24 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Nitch. Always nitch. When people say they’re looking for their neesh I always hear a mispronunciation of niece. And I think to myself, well where did you last see her? Did you try calling/texting? Maybe she doesn’t want to be found.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.c.....niche

Both are correct Very Happy

Don't have time to read through the whole head but two examples off the top of my head:
Leicester (who would have thought to just skip the "eic"?)
Leonard (I used to read it Le-o-nard instead of len-ard)

myself

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:51 am
iyar wrote:
Those mountains that I always called the: Him ah LAY uhz,
are really the: Him MAHL yuhz?
(Or was I right?)

Him MAHL yuhz or Hi muh lay uhz

youngishbear

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:53 am
gamanit wrote:
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/how-do-you-pronounce-niche

Both are correct Very Happy

Don't have time to read through the whole head but two examples off the top of my head:
Leicester (who would have thought to just skip the "eic"?)
Leonard (I used to read it Le-o-nard instead of len-ard)

My fifth grade teacher taught me how to pronounce Thomas. I learned that Geoffrey was the same as Jeffrey as an adult. Ditto for Sean and Shawn (Connery, before Spicer...) I mispronounced Scalia even after he was gone from this earth.

And English towns? I finally learned how to pronounce the -shires from the BBC.

Also, it was the Ma-JEE-no Line, despite it's seemingly simple spelling of Maginot (WWI). The French. Rolling Eyes

Deep

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:56 am
PinkFridge wrote:
When I grew up, I was told people from Norfolk say Nawfik. The rest of us Norfolk (norfoke).

Similarly, Torontonians refer to their city as Te-RON-o', while the rest of the world says Toronto.

cbg

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:02 am
How about Reading Railroad.
Is it Pronounced Red-ing (like read past tense)
Or Read-ing (present tense)

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:09 am
cbsp wrote:

And because it was mentioned above, if the origin is Spanish (and not Italian) shouldn't it be pronounced as dul-seh de Leche, not dul-cheh?

Doolseh deh lehcheh it is. Or was. I finished it last night. Now it’s dulce de gone.

It’s vastly amusing that this incredibly rich, creamy, sweet caramel treat is now in gourmet shops. It was invented by the poorest of the poor, by heating a closed can of condensed milk for several hours in a pot of boiling water.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:17 am
yo'ma wrote:
Like another poster pointed out, it's spanish. For some reason, both my parents pronounce pesos, paisos. Why, oh why?

It's difficult for my kids to read english because they're used to spanish which is phonetic.

Yup, my bad!
Glad to learn new things here!
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics