Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Would you give your kids chocolate milk...
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:42 am
...if thats the only way they'll drink milk? They get a little in their cereal but thats it. I once heard that the chocolate kills the calcium or something so theres no point in giving chocolate milk. Is that true?

yehudis1056

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:55 am
No that's not true. It doesn't kill the calcium it just adds a lot more sugar. So they still get calcium but it comes along with sugar.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:55 am
My kids never drank milk. Why are you so focused on getting milk into them? There are other ways to get calcium into them.

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:57 am
What's the urgency in having your kids drink milk? They can get plenty of dairy through cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. I was never a big milk drinker myself (lactose intolerant) and as a result it's never been something I've pushed on my kids.

But to answer your question, no, I wouldn't. Sure, I give my kids chocolate milk occasionally. But I wouldn't coat carrots in chocolate just to get them to eat their vegetables.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:06 pm
I highly doubt the chocolate kills the calcium...
But chocolate milk isn't healthy for other reasons.
How about cheese or yogurt?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:14 pm
Or try reverse psychology. I got that effect accidentally. My kids often spill their drinks, including milk, around the house. Our couch started smelling like bad cheese because of it. I tried to forbid drinking milk. It had the opposite effect and made them crazy for the stuff, they even steal it from the fridge when I'm not watching. What

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:14 pm
I am pretty health concious and I give my kids chocolate milk daily for the calcium. I make it homemade--1/3 c cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 t vanilla, 1 t salt, 1/3 cup water--boil in pot and add to a half gallon of milk (or I usually further dilute with another half gallon). This way there is no corn syrup or artificial flavorings, and the sugar is as low as they can tolerate.

simba

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:24 pm
I would and I do.

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:29 pm
My 5 year old loves milk. But she does ask for choc milk sometimes and I’m happy to give her. I use chocolate syrup and I make it very light, just enough to change the color of the milk.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:29 pm
I put in a 1/4 teaspoon ready coco mix to 1 cup milk. How much sugar can such a small amount have?? It changes the color of the milk & the kids are happy.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:33 pm
Quote:

Well, tbh where I live C"Y cheese products are very expensive. Milk is much cheaper. Yes, my kids would eat a yogurt (or 2) daily, but I cant afford to buy 20 yogurts a week.
I grew up not drinking milk and my teeth are pretty bad, so I'm trying to be more careful with my kids.

And this is what I found on google:
Quote:
Chocolate contains oxalate — a naturally occurring compound in cocoa beans — which can inhibit the absorption of calcium. The jury is still out, however, on whether chocolate causes problems for healthy people who eat calcium-rich diets.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 1:03 pm
Check the ingredients. If it's plain milk and good quality brand chocolate it's very healthy.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 1:07 pm
Why r u trying to push milk into them. My kids don't drink mill. I never drank mik in my life. And chocolate milk in my house is organic cocoa with honey and rice dream Very Happy

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:37 pm
No one needs milk. In fact, it's not good for many (most?).

To go looking for ways to get the milk into them? Ridiculous.

unexpected

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:19 pm
Yes I would. And do. My toddler doesn't eat much of anything but she likes to drink and I try to get her to drink milk for the protein

salt

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:28 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I put in a 1/4 teaspoon ready coco mix to 1 cup milk. How much sugar can such a small amount have?? It changes the color of the milk & the kids are happy.

Exactly what I do. No need to add 3 big spoons of choc powder (as they instruct you on the box!).
1/4 to 1/2 tsp is enough.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Well, tbh where I live C"Y cheese products are very expensive. Milk is much cheaper. Yes, my kids would eat a yogurt (or 2) daily, but I cant afford to buy 20 yogurts a week.
I grew up not drinking milk and my teeth are pretty bad, so I'm trying to be more careful with my kids.

And this is what I found on google:
Quote:
Chocolate contains oxalate — a naturally occurring compound in cocoa beans — which can inhibit the absorption of calcium. The jury is still out, however, on whether chocolate causes problems for healthy people who eat calcium-rich diets.

You can make your own yogurt, although it's only worthwhile if you eat a lot of it.

I don't give my kids chocolate milk as part of a meal, because I don't want them to only eat things if they are sweetened.

In the summer, sometimes a nice cold chocolate milk makes a nice special treat. But the "choco" sold in Israeli stores is *very* sweet. I dilute it 1:1 with plain milk before I give it to my kids.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:24 am
amother wrote:

That's the liberal NY opinion, we know, we know. The rest of the world, and the past generations, disagree. Can you at least be, like, nice?

Simple1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 4:18 am
I have heard about chocolate inhibiting calcium absorbtion. I do give my kids chocolate milk sometimes, just as I let them sometimes have other foods that aren't so healthy.

Simple1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 4:20 am
amother wrote:

Calcium is very important. I guess you can get it from other sources, but it's most easily found in milk products.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking