Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ocean county library- damaged book

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:45 pm
Anyone have experience with replacing damaged book to OCL? Cover tore off one of our books, but book was not in good condition to begin with.

They are saying that I need to pay $15 or replace with NEW book. This book is available in pre-owned condition for 5 bucks on eBay.

Obviously not a huge expense, but I was wondering if there is anyone that has experience otherwise? If yes, which branch?

(Website does Not indicate that a replacement book needs to be new.)

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:49 pm
Why don't you call the library and see if the well accept a used in excellent condition?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 5:04 pm
I went to local branch today, lady I spoke with said new book only.
It is possible that this woman particularly was not being reasonable whereas there are others at the library that would be okay with accepting a used replacement.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
I went to local branch today, lady I spoke with said new book only.
It is possible that this woman particularly was not being reasonable whereas there are others at the library that would be okay with accepting a used replacement.

Likely it has something to do with how they insert the RFID chips/strips/tags.

esther36

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:44 pm
I had the same issue. I ordered a used book in excellent condition and brought it in to the library and they refused to accept it. I had to pay over 15 dollars for a replacement when the used one cost me $2. It wasn't specified on the website and I tried telling her that but I got nowhere:(

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:52 pm
Thanks @esther36,
Guess I won't bother putting up a fuss. Fwiw I sound it on Amazon in new condition for $11.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:25 pm
I had something similar but my kids lost the book. I bought a brand new copy, they refused to accept it bec it was not specially bound with a library binding. So I had to pay twice for this kids book.

momX4

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:59 pm
My local library has the same policy. They dont automatically purchase another book. They decide if they should replace the damaged book or put the money into a fund for purchasing new books.

my kids and I have found on the library's website books that have been lost and paid for, yet the library never replaced it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:04 pm
I have never been allowed to replace a damaged or lost library book myself with one in the same condition or even in new condition... I've always been required to pay the huge replacement fees, even once $40 for a tiny old paperback. This has been my experience in three different libraries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics