Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Songs that Get Stuck In Your Head
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:10 pm
youngishbear wrote:
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Of course not. It’s two ecdotes.

Boca00

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:14 pm
youngishbear wrote:

True, but anecdotal evidence is often a precursor to groundbreaking research.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:16 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Hmm.. Zaq, you gonna weigh in on this? Cuz here's Exhibit A that earworms are contagious by telepathy.
I’m of the opinion that subliminal communication is to blame. Someone is playing or singing that song, too low for your conscious brain to pay attention. But your subconscious mind is singing right along until at some point it kicks your conscious mind in the tush and yells “ get with the program!”

Boca00

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:19 pm
zaq wrote:
I’m of the opinion that subliminal communication is to blame. Someone is playing or singing that song, too low for your conscious brain to pay attention. But your subconscious mind is singing right along until at some point it kicks your conscious mind in the tush and yells “ get with the program!”

Fascinating.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:21 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes they can if one person mentions it to another. You can’t infect anyone by just thinking the music, though; you must either sing, whistle or hum it or mention it in conversation.

It’s a very mean thing to do and it doesn’t cure you.

Actually I do have it sometimes that I'm thinking of a song and before I know it Person B is humming that tune! And I never fail to ask "how did you know I'm singing it in my head?!"
It's some sort of telepathy. And it gets on my nerves. Like why are you humming this? It's mine at the moment!

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:23 pm
zaq wrote:
It’s called an earworm. How fabulous a word is that?

love that word! It describes the experience so perfectly.

flapsmom

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:24 pm
Saw the title and told myself very firmly "don't you dare!" But I never listen Sad
Guess is Kars 4 Kids til (if?) I can fall asleep....
It's almost worth it though, cuz "earworm??" What a great word Very Happy

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:26 pm
The wheels on the bus
A hundred bottles of beer on the wall
This is the song that never ends
The Star Spangled Banner (maybe not)

InnerMe

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:34 pm
And oops, my bad I see youngish bear already posted. (deep confession, I posted w/o reading through!) So Zaq, there you have another anecdote which can be used to prove or disprove this theory.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 11:35 pm
zaq wrote:

I don't think it needs to be a song. It could be a word or phrase that reminds us both of the same lyrics.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 4:52 am
youngishbear wrote:

And you'd never get permission from the ethics committee

chmom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 7:50 am
Laaaaaaast x-mas I gave you my heart but the very next day, you gave it awaaaaaaay
Thiiiiiiiis year , to save me from tears , I‘ll give it to someone special ( special)
Every year from late October to January this runs in an endless loop through my head
THANK YOU GROCERY STORE MUSIC PROGRAMMER
Banging head Banging head Banging head

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:09 am
I don’t really hate the Kars4Kids jingle...much. What I can’t stand is the way the kid says “tuhrray”. It’s not “tuhrray”; it’s “to-day”. Urgh!

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:13 am
youngishbear wrote:
I don't think it needs to be a song. It could be a word or phrase that reminds us both of the same lyrics.
. Sure, why not?

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:20 am
relish wrote:
I find that most of the time when songs get stuck in my head, there is some meaning to it.

Frozen's let it go- I'm trying to let go of something

I had this song from the show victorious in my head for a while "but I want you, and I just can't get you out of my mind"
When I was feeling obsessed and one track minded

When I'm really trying to do the right thing: "ashes chayil mi yimtza"

"Here I am, once again, feeling lost but now and then, I breath it in to let it go"-victorious. When I'm frustrated that I'm back to square one, and trying to calm down.

When I'm trying to encourage myself through an intense moment: "I'm no ordinary girl, I'm from a deep blue underworld"

"Bilvavi mishkan evne"- when I really want to do the right thing, but it's so hard for me.

I have so many more. My mind and inner world is always singing, but always one or two lines. Ear worms all day.

so funny. lately I've been singing "I aint your mama" from JayLo when I'm doing laundry or dishes. silly part is that I AM THEIR MAMA.

iyar

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:21 am
Very nice.
You all leave me here singing on my soapbox in the freezing cold on a busy street with a FISHBOWL over my head, while you argue the finer points of scientific research, telepathic communication, and the semantics involved.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:22 am
chmom wrote:
Laaaaaaast x-mas I gave you my heart but the very next day, you gave it awaaaaaaay
Thiiiiiiiis year , to save me from tears , I‘ll give it to someone special ( special)
Every year from late October to January this runs in an endless loop through my head
THANK YOU GROCERY STORE MUSIC PROGRAMMER
Banging head Banging head Banging head

I actually love this song even though it's not appropriate for me to sing. it takes super human efforts not to sing along or aloud when it's stuck in my head.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:25 am
iyar wrote:
Very nice.
You all leave me here singing on my soapbox in the freezing cold on a busy street with a FISHBOWL over my head, while you argue the finer points of scientific research, telepathic communication, and the semantics involved.

LOL LOL LOL

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:27 am
The WORST: Sleighbells in the Snow (#1 worst) and Walking in a Winter Wonderland (#2 worst). Where’s that “kill” icon when you need it?

Boca00

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:33 am
iyar wrote:
Very nice.

But it's working, right??
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics