Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bullying! need out now/Birchas Shmuel (Bklyn) info please

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:27 am
I need to send my son to a different Yeshiva now.
He is being bullied in his current 8th grade in a large mainstream yeshiva.
Does anyone have real knowledge of this yeshiva, Birchas Shmuel?
Who is the menahel?
do the boys have good middos?
Is the Yeshiva warm and kind?
student body type?
class size?
thank you! thank you!

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
Who is the menahel?
student body type?
class size?
thank you! thank you!

I don't know the yeshiva, but good for you for standing behind your son. Do not let anyone intimidate you about your decision. My daughter was bullied and I kept trying to be dan lkaf zechus for those other girls unitl 9th. What a difference my daughter is today- she is a new person. Someone once told me "you are child's best and only advocate" it is so true on so many levels.
Sending you hugs and much hatzlacha and chizuk!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Who is the menahel?
student body type?
class size?
thank you! thank you!

My son went there. The reality of the situation is that they cater to many boys who have issues. Many of the boys who attend that yeshiva are there because they don't have good alternatives. Let me ask you this question: There are 50 boys elementary schools in Brooklyn. Why did you choose Birchas Shmuel?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:20 pm
My son went to Birchas Shmuel. The menahel is Rabbi Pinchos Wallerstein. He was my son's 8th grade Rebbe as well. It is small, very warm, very devoted to the boys and will work to build up each boys strengths. There are all different types of boys there, some weak academically, some who just needed a little space to breathe. There is A LOT of extra curricular--tons of sports, ski trips, trips to parks etc. Boys bond with each other and the Rabbeim both in the classroom and out. I will say that the yeshiva is geared toward athletic kids, so if your son is not into sports and adventure, it may be an issue.
The yeshiva will work with each boy. For example, my son is very academic, so he learned b'chavrusa with a kollel guy for a large part of the day.
The downside is that some boys there are dealing with more issues than others. If your son is more sheltered, he will be exposed to much more. Find out what the class he'd be in is like. My son was bothered for a while said he was in a yeshiva for dummies and misfits. He ended up learning a lot of tolerance and compassion, and also has strong convictions about what he did not want for himself.
If your son is suffering and needs a warm, caring environment before he jumps into high school, this may very well save him. He may be exposed to more, but I think that being tortured in "the best" yeshiva is far more dangerous to a boy's ruchniyus.
Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help if I can!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 12:54 pm
OP ....I would speak to Reb Yisroel Plutchock of Derech Chaim.. He is very compassionate and a big expert in this situation...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries