Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What books or authors did you love growing up?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:13 am
Beingreal wrote:
Anyone read scarlet pimpernel?

Yes!Yes

At younger ages, anything by Frances Hodgson Burnett, L.M. Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Sarah Birnhack, or Libby Lazewnik, as well as the B.Y. Times, Baker's Dozen, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Heidi, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory alone of Roald Dahl's books.

As a teen, all of the above plus Ruchoma Shain's books, everything by Henoch Teller, and the Harry Potter series. Also James Herriott, Sherlock Holmes, and Nero Wolf books.

ETA some I forgot the first time.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:21 am
I also loved how to kill a mockingbird, the promised child chicken soup of the soul I am still reading!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 2:21 pm
Very first book I read was "and then there were four" I think from Libby Lazewnick, I was hooked! my sister gave it to me to read when I was eight (english isn't my first language, nor my second really) only later did I realize that it is the second book in a series of four.
My favorite book by far was "Forever My Jerusalem" first read it at the age of ten and have re-read it since every 3-4 years. It made a strong lasting impression on me. Gave me a strong feeling for EY, Yerushalayim, made me into a fiery pro-Israel person (though not classical zionist - I did grow up in a satmar home Wink but my father teasingy calls me "my daughter the zionist). I think that book has strong powers, especially if read by a young girl since the author relates it as she experienced it in her pre-teen years. It made me feel - back then - as if I was actually experiencing the siege and escape from the Old City along with her. Until today it is all very alive in my mind.
Another book that made a strong impression And which I have re-read many times since is All for the Boss which I read for the first time at 12 or 13. also very much alive in my mind.
We grew up with very few non Jewish books. We had a series called " the Chalet School" by some british author.
When I was 11 I discovered "Anne of Green Gables" in my sister's bed and read it. Then I tore it up because of the "love" scenes, I was no "frummer" and very hormonal from a young age but somehow felt I should remove it from my vicinty (permanently). Suffice it to say my sister was not happy and suffice it to say the bookt had a strong lasting impression on me...
And my shabbos afternoon favorite reading material between ages 12-15 was the Me'am Lo'az in english, since I could discover all the "secrets" about life in there, plus learn a lot of Torah which I loved.
I was a de-facto bookworm. All day every day.
I think writers can have a lot of life-long influences on readers, especially young, growing minds.
I keep that in mind when I write these days.

Anonymous since people know these details about me

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 2:54 pm
Agatha Christie
I forgot the author of the mystery archeological series. The characters included Ramses and Peabody.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 3:18 pm
So many more
When I grew up in the 80s, my mother bought every single english language jewish book out there (weren't that many)
I read all of Marcus Lehman's books
Tons of holocaust books (yellow star, sisters in the story, to vanquish the dragon, the unheeded cry)
Historical books like
Fire in the sky,
Glueckel von Hameln,

I could go on forever

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
Very first book I read was "and then there were four" I think from Libby Lazewnick, I was hooked! my sister gave it to me to read when I was eight (english isn't my first language, nor my second really) only later did I realize that it is the second book in a series of four.
My favorite book by far was "Forever My Jerusalem" first read it at the age of ten and have re-read it since every 3-4 years. It made a strong lasting impression on me. Gave me a strong feeling for EY, Yerushalayim, made me into a fiery pro-Israel person (though not classical zionist - I did grow up in a satmar home Wink but my father teasingy calls me "my daughter the zionist). I think that book has strong powers, especially if read by a young girl since the author relates it as she experienced it in her pre-teen years. It made me feel - back then - as if I was actually experiencing the siege and escape from the Old City along with her. Until today it is all very alive in my mind.
Another book that made a strong impression And which I have re-read many times since is All for the Boss which I read for the first time at 12 or 13. also very much alive in my mind.
We grew up with very few non Jewish books. We had a series called " the Chalet School" by some british author.
When I was 11 I discovered "Anne of Green Gables" in my sister's bed and read it. Then I tore it up because of the "love" scenes, I was no "frummer" and very hormonal from a young age but somehow felt I should remove it from my vicinty (permanently). Suffice it to say my sister was not happy and suffice it to say the bookt had a strong lasting impression on me...
And my shabbos afternoon favorite reading material between ages 12-15 was the Me'am Lo'az in english, since I could discover all the "secrets" about life in there, plus learn a lot of Torah which I loved.
I think writers can have a lot of life-long influences on readers, especially young, growing minds.

Re the bolded, Me too!!

Also the Me'am Loez on Megilas Esther, Strive for Truth, Ethics from Sinai, Anatomy of a Search, Chovos Halevavos, R' Aryeh Kaplan, To Vanquish the Dragon, and Elie Wiesel's autobiography, The Chosen.

Elementary school, I read all the Marcus Lehman books, all Tales of Tzaddikim, Hanoch Teller, Roald Dahl, Hardy Boys, nancy Drew, Bobsey Twins Ruth Chew, the Black Stallion, The Secret Garden (which I loved), lotr, Narnia, Isaac Asimov (went through a phase of loving sci-fi), Ray Bradbury, Avner Gold books

Fun memories Smile

Eva Vogiel's books, Rabbi Krohn's maggid books, All for the Boss, Rabbi Pliskin, Little House on the Prairie, Where the Red Fern Grows, original Mary Poppins, Benzion Firer, k'tonton, savta simcha, encyclopedia brown, Avi, lois lowry,

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:36 pm
I once read an amazing book that was so so sad. Not fiction, but reads like fiction. I remember it so well, but not the title. Maybe someone here read it?
Basically it's about a girl who grows up gung ho reform, and is very spiritual, to make a long story short, she goes against reform and becomes frum which causes a lot of issues in her family. Eventually she becomes engaged to a regular frum guy who lost both of his parents. When they meet his Rav it becomes clear that there may be a problem, b/c her mother was married in a first marriage with a kosher marriage, but never mentioned a kosher get. Another long story short she finds out that her mother never got a get before her second marriage (to the girl's father). She has to break up with the guy. It was very sad.
Anyone?

Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:

I agree with you on "Forever my Jerusalem." Powerful and awakened a love for Israel in me too.

Also: "Captive Soul" by Shoshana Schwartz about a kid who accidentally becomes ensnared in a cult. Absolutely riveting. Also her "In Full Bloom" was great.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:53 pm
The Bamboo Cradle, The War of a Jewish Partisan

Kumphort

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
I once read an amazing book that was so so sad. Not fiction, but reads like fiction. I remember it so well, but not the title. Maybe someone here read it?
Basically it's about a girl who grows up gung ho reform, and is very spiritual, to make a long story short, she goes against reform and becomes frum which causes a lot of issues in her family. Eventually she becomes engaged to a regular frum guy who lost both of his parents. When they meet his Rav it becomes clear that there may be a problem, b/c her mother was married in a first marriage with a kosher marriage, but never mentioned a kosher get. Another long story short she finds out that her mother never got a get before her second marriage (to the girl's father). She has to break up with the guy. It was very sad.
Anyone?

I think it was called on a golden chain by Ruth pearl man?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:19 pm
No, that book was fiction, actually you're thinking of Yesterday's Child by the same author. And in the fiction book he finds out that his mother did have a kosher get, and he could marry the girl he was engaged to.
Thank you though!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:

I forgot the author of the mystery archeological series. The characters included Ramses and Peabody.

Ellis Peters. She also wrote the (much better, in my opinion) Brother Cadfael series about a monk in 12th century England.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:22 pm
loved these
Henry Reed a series of five children's novels by Keith Robertson

The suitcases by anne hall whitt

does anyone remember a book called ( I think) a face at the window or something? about a struggling family with a shul that the sefer torah was stolen.... and a young girl lived next door with a scary father... does anyone know the author?

or candles in my window?

librarygirl

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
loved these
Henry Reed a series of five children's novels by Keith Robertson

The suitcases by anne hall whitt

does anyone remember a book called ( I think) a face at the window or something? about a struggling family with a shul that the sefer torah was stolen.... and a young girl lived next door with a scary father... does anyone know the author?

or candles in my window?

A face at the window is by meir uri gottesman, and it bothers me that the other parents on the block knew her father was crazy (granted a survivor) and did nothing to help her.

Candles in my window by beth firestone was reprinted a few years ago.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 9:20 pm
alot already said
Father's Arcane Daughter, by E. L. Konigsburg
jewish
Bina Gold series
A weed among the roses
A light in greytower
kids speak

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 10:08 pm
I love this thread. I keep hitting "like". My kids and I have read and enjoyed so many of these books mentioned.

I'm from the era before the proliferation of Jewish books. We were so excited when the book "Happy is the Heart" came out. I remember buying a Marcus Lehmann book for around $5. Wish I owned more of those old ones, now that the new ones are revised (censored).

Some books I liked that were not mentioned yet:
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Mrs. Mike
Books by Phyllis Whitney (but especially the kids' mysteries).
I also went through a phase with the Choose your own Adventure series (these were recently revised and my little kids like them, but I do not!)
Books by Lois Lenski
The Parent Trap (book and movie)

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 10:12 pm
- Judy Blume books
- The Westing Game and everything else by Ellen Raskin
- Earthsea series by Ursula LeGuin
- Madeleine L'Engel
- Little Women
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
- Isaac Azomiv's Foundation series
- the Dark Hour of Noon - a story about a young Polish girl joining the anti-German Resistance in WWII

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
No, that book was fiction, actually you're thinking of Yesterday's Child by the same author. And in the fiction book he finds out that his mother did have a kosher get, and he could marry the girl he was engaged to.
Thank you though!!

Nothing but the truth?

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 10:15 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Another good one-

My brother Sam is dead

I love historical fiction. Especially about the revolutionary war.

Ugh. I had to read this book for school and recall disliking it very much.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 10:18 pm
Oh, I also tore through those awful Flowers in the Attic series of books by V C. Andrews. Looking back now, I am horrified at my bad taste.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room