Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Will someone please let G-d know
1  2  Next

rofa

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 4:37 pm
Will someone please let G-d know that long distance relationships don't work?

If he cares about this one He needs to do something about it stat.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:09 pm
That’s why we’re always trying to move closer to Him.

(Unless I’m completely misreading your post?)

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:52 pm
It's hard to feel. And challenging to always know.

Yet He is breathing you. He is beating your heart right now.

He loves you a million times more than an elderly couple loves their firstborn born in their old age.

Maryann

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:11 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
It's hard to feel. And challenging to always know.

Yet He is breathing you. He is beating your heart right now.

He loves you a million times more than an elderly couple loves their firstborn born in their old age.

Hard to imagine such love with so many challenges

crust

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 6:11 pm
rofa wrote:

Is there anything we can do to help you?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 7:02 pm
Avraham Fried has some lovely songs on the topic.

Lomu - why... From a distance... When I need you close...

Don't hide from me

Yuchid verabim (argument between us and Hashem. We say hashiveini Hashem ailechu venushuvu, and He says shuvu ailei venushuvu aleichem. He concludes that halacha is paskened according to rabim, and we are a rabim.)

There are more but these are my favorites.

Roots

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 1:31 pm
these are my some of my favorite songs Smile
along with my fellow jew from yachid ve rabim cd.

sorry I know its unrelated..

fyi. the extent of the communication shows the extent of the connection. or vice versa the extent of the connection (to G-d, or to anyone really - lhavdil) is made by communication.
it works both ways.

I liked how you worded it though.

oh and I hope your not implying that you want Him to bring you (too) close; are you ready to turn into part of the abstract...

Seas

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:13 pm
rofa wrote:

Kindly speak with respect to and about Hashem. We do not need to let Him know anything as he is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.

Also we do not question His decisions. We daven and beseech Him to help us, but we accept everything He does.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:21 pm
Seas wrote:
Kindly speak with respect to and about Hashem. We do not need to let Him know anything as he is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.

Also we do not question His decisions. We daven and beseech Him to help us, but we accept everything He does.

Hashem wants a relationship with us. He wants us to daven to Him, trust Him, make Him an intimate part of our lives. We’re human, we have strong feelings, we get hurt, we feel pain, we struggle as we do our best to accomplish what we were put here to do. We get tired, overwhelmed, stressed out... we get angry and even lash out sometimes - He created us this way and He still wants a relationship with us. What kind of relationship would it be if we were forced to hide our true feelings and only come out to say cheerful, happy things? Doesn’t sound healthy to me...

Sure, we should try, in general, to behave and speak respectfully. But when we’re hurt I think it’s more than okay to express ourselves to Hashem in whatever way we can in that moment. It’s raw and it’s real. Hashem is compassionate and patient and loving. And no matter what we do or say, He can “take it.” We’re human, but He’s God.

Seas

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:44 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Hashem wants a relationship with us. He wants us to daven to Him, trust Him, make Him an intimate part of our lives. We’re human, we have strong feelings, we get hurt, we feel pain, we struggle as we do our best to accomplish what we were put here to do. We get tired, overwhelmed, stressed out... we get angry and even lash out sometimes - He created us this way and He still wants a relationship with us. What kind of relationship would it be if we were forced to hide our true feelings and only come out to say cheerful, happy things? Doesn’t sound healthy to me...

Sure, we should try, in general, to behave and speak respectfully. But when we’re hurt I think it’s more than okay to express ourselves to Hashem in whatever way we can in that moment. It’s raw and it’s real. Hashem is compassionate and patient and loving. And no matter what we do or say, He can “take it.” We’re human, but He’s God.

WADR that is a fundamental mistake. Yes Hashem wants us to feel His presence and to live with this understanding. He wants us to have a close relationship to Him, turning to Him for every tiny thing we need.

But at the same time we have to maintain a respectful distance and never forget that He is also the king and we must tremble before Him. It's both avinu and malkeinu.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 5:48 pm
Seas wrote:

How could I forget the most appropriate song of all:

מען זאגט נאך א נוסחא
פונעם הייליגער רבי בונם פון פשיסחא
וואס האט זיך געטענה'ט מיט'ן נורא
באשעפער זיי מיט אונז צופרידן
און לייז אונז אויס אלץ אידן
ווי איידער אלץ גוים חלילה

I think this says it all.

ETA: I missed one word that rhymes with חלילה. If someone knows what it is please help me out.

Seas, I think OP meant this, and her tone was one of despair rather than disrespect. I don't agree Hashem wants distance. Awe, yes, but not from afar or from fear. He is a benevolent King.

Amalia

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:13 pm
Major, major hugs, OP

I very much hope and wish that you wil get some support from posting here: in the form of practical help, women dovening for you as well as giving you chizzuk.

I agree completely with Kiwi13's and youngishbear's take on this.

Dear Seas, please do not rebuke or lecture or give mussar (correct or not) to a person crying out in pain - physical or emotional (as we learned from Yiov's friends).

Dear youngishbear,

I am so interested in the song that you put out, but my Yiddish is very rudimentary. Can you please translate it into English (and post it here or send it to me in a pm)? I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:16 pm
Seas wrote:
WADR that is a fundamental mistake. Yes Hashem wants us to feel His presence and to live with this understanding. He wants us to have a close relationship to Him, turning to Him for every tiny thing we need.

But at the same time we have to maintain a respectful distance and never forget that He is also the king and we must tremble before Him. It's both avinu and malkeinu.

Respect is one thing, and I agree we should try. But Hashem sees deeper into our hearts than even the most compassionate human. He sees our intentions. Even if something looks disrespectful on the outside, Hashem knows our hearts and can see our sincerity.

Distance as a virtue or something to strive for? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

crust

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:19 pm
youngishbear wrote:
How could I forget the most appropriate song of all:

מען זאגט נאך א נוסחא
פונעם הייליגער רבי בונם פון פשיסחא
וואס האט זיך געטענה'ט מיט'ן נורא
באשעפער זיי מיט אונז צופרידן
און לייז אונז אויס אלץ אידן
ווי איידער אלץ גוים חלילה

I think this says it all.

ETA: I missed one word that rhymes with חלילה. If someone knows what it is please help me out.

Seas, I think OP meant this, and her tone was one of despair rather than disrespect. I don't agree Hashem wants distance. Awe, yes, but not from afar or from fear. He is a benevolent King.

ער האט זיך.גע'טענה'ט מיטן נורא עלילה

Seas

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:44 pm
youngishbear wrote:

Seas, I think OP meant this, and her tone was one of despair rather than disrespect.

You're probably right, which is why I was careful to word my request nicely. While I sympathize with a person who is in pain, one simply can't speak to or about Hashem without the utmost respect. Especially in public. I'm not judging or condemning the OP, but I still kindly ask she edits her post.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 6:49 pm
Seas wrote:
You're probably right, which is why I was careful to word my request nicely. While I sympathize with a person who is in pain, one simply can't speak to or about Hashem without the utmost respect. Especially in public. I'm not judging or condemning the OP, but I still kindly ask she edits her post.

That’s not only judging her, but also attempting to stifle her self-expression at a time when she is hurting and crying out for help.

Even if you’re 100% right about everything you say, there’s still a time a place and way to say it. Mussar-ing people in pain isn’t likely to get them to see your point. It usually only pushes them further away.

crust

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:10 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
That’s not only judging her, but also attempting to stifle her self-expression at a time when she is hurting and crying out for help.

Even if you’re 100% right about everything you say, there’s still a time a place and way to say it. Mussar-ing people in pain isn’t likely to get them to see your point. It usually only pushes them further away.

This.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:17 pm
Seas wrote:

Alas, tone is hard to interpret online.

I think we have a טאטע שיק מיר הויזן situation here.

crust

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:19 pm
Seas wrote:

I kindly ask you do tsuvah and ask mechila from Hashem because you did not follow the Chofetz Chaim's instructions on how to make a fellow yid aware of his wrongdoing.

crust

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:20 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Alas, tone is hard to interpret online.

I think we have a טאטע שיק מיר הויזן situation here.

הלוואי

Eta I thought you were referring to Seas.

Last edited by crust on Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics