Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Modern Orthodox Community near Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:12 pm
My husband just got a great job in Lakewood. We are looking to relocate to a modern orthodox community, preferably within a half hour from Lakewood. We have small children, and are also looking for schools in the area.
Any ideas?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:26 pm
If you find one please let me know ..... LOL

Marlboro has a nice shul and restaurants but they all use Lakewood schools..

Possibly Highland Park ..Thats about 45 min to an hour away

Power1Mom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:30 pm
I'm preferably looking for closer. I'm also looking for schools more like Yeshiva of Flatbush type.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:34 pm
Doesn't exist. Highland Park is probably the closest you can get and still have MO school options.

Power1Mom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:42 pm
Thanks for the responses everybody! I've heard of Long Branch too. Is it only Syrian Sephardic? I've also heard of Jewish schools by the Jersey Shore. Anybody know anything about it?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 11:59 pm
mommyg123 wrote:
Thanks for the responses everybody! I've heard of Long Branch too. Is it only Syrian Sephardic? I've also heard of Jewish schools by the Jersey Shore. Anybody know anything about it?

Hillel Yeshiva. It’s mainly Sephardic but there are many ashkenazim there too.
There is a small ashkenaz community in deal.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:12 am
There used to be a kiruv school in Manalapan - is it still around? Even if it is, it won't be the Yeshiva of Flatbush you're looking for, but it may be the only reasonably-commutable Ashkenazi non-chareidi school in the area.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:56 am
Manalapan/Marlboro are about 30 min north of Lakewood and about 30 min south of Highland Park. So that would put you between work and schools nicely. But I'm not sure of any MO shuls or anything there- a mix of people, a lot of kiruv including but not limited to Chabad.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 2:57 am
East Brunswick is closer than Highland Park, about 40 minutes. The shul is Young Israel of East Brunswick (yieb.org). About 225 families. There is a small Ashkenazi community in Long Branch. (Congregation Brothers of Israel). Yeshiva at the Jersey Shore, (yjs), is a modern orthodox elementary school in Deal.

Many kids from east Brunswick commute to yjs so there is a bus. RPRY is in Highland Park and is a MO Yeshiva. Also in East Brunswick is Netivot Montessori Yeshiva.

The kiruv school in the Manalapan area is Shalom Torah, it is in Morganville.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about any of these and I'll do my best to answer.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 8:04 am
mommyg123 wrote:

I have relatives there.
A few ashlenazim, but most are sefardim.
It seems to be an extremely wealthy community, so I would only want to live there if I wouldn't stick out.
Hillel is the school, it's prob comparable to yeshiva of Flatbush but it's mostly sefardi.

I'm curious to know what sort of job your husband got. Would you share? (If not, that's fine, I respect your privacy.)

I know you said it's too far, but highland park is a thriving MO community.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:43 am
The schools in Long Branch/Deal aren't that good. I know a number of people from that area who as high schoolers commuted to Frisch, Kushner, and even one who commuted every day to Manhattan to go to Ramaz, and it sounds like those are types of schools you want for your kids. I really think Highland Park (or maybe East Brunswick) is going to be your best option here. Yeah, the commute is a bit longer- try to think of my friend who went to Ramaz from Deal every day as a teenager LOL

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:02 am
Isn't there a community in the Cherry Hill area?

anonymrs

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:19 am
Chayalle wrote:
Isn't there a community in the Cherry Hill area?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that's about an hour too.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:21 am
East Brunswick is great.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
The schools in Long Branch/Deal aren't that good.

YJS and Hillel are both worth considering. Depends exactly what the parents (and their children) want.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:39 am
Deal/Long Branch/West Branch/Eatontown is your best option.

Power1Mom

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:52 am
Thanks again everybody! Are there rentals in these places? Preferably, we'd like to rent yup see if we are comfortable in the community, before buying anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating