Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is a tablet w/external keyboard ok? Or do I need a laptop?
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:01 am
I like to shop at Costco so am working within the confines of what Costco offers online. My very old laptop died and I'm looking to replace it. I am wondering if a tablet (with an attached full size keyboard) would suffice for my purposes:

1. Writing. I'm a writer. I write a lot. Years ago I tried (regret not buying it) a laptop with a feature that allowed for freezing the cursor, or whatever you call it. I could type with my eyes closed and the cursor wouldnt be all over the place. Do you know what im referring to?

2. Internet searches and downloads. On a typical day I need to download, read, and print 20-30 pdf's. (Some containing 25 pages average)

3. Connect to my printer easily. So no chromebook sort of thing.

4. Good Skype, and other video platforms, connection. So again, no chromebook.

That's basically what I use the laptop for. Do you think a tablet would do? I see they're selling for 170. I've never had a tablet so am clueless.

If a tablet won't cut it, I'll look for a laptop. Any recommendations for an inexpensive one?
Thanks!!!

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:06 am
An ipad is not good for any serious writing. You need a laptop. I'm sorry I don't have ideas -- though I will be in the same situation, soon!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:11 am
You can't type nearly as fast on an iPad. It's not a computer, so any word processing is uncomfortable.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:12 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
An ipad is not good for any serious writing.

Why not?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:13 am
Iymnok wrote:
You can't type nearly as fast on an iPad. It's not a computer, so any word processing is uncomfortable.

You can buy an external keyboard for an ipad, and download WPS Office.

Its all do-able on an iPad. In fact, I do all of those things on an iPad.

And I HATE it. If you can afford a laptop, go for it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:16 am
I have an IPAD pro with a keyboard that attaches to it. I got the largest size. It looks just like a laptop and works great. I use it for pretty much anything I would use a laptop for. I like that when I am working I can use it as a laptop and when I am just surfing the net I can use it as a tablet.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:19 am
SixOfWands wrote:

And I HATE it. If you can afford a laptop, go for it.

Why do you hate it?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:22 am
Oops- I may have made a mistake. Is an iPad an Apple product?
I think I meant to say "tablet".
Can a tablet, with an external keyboard, serve me?
I do not like to use Apple products. Could never get used to them.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:26 am
SixOfWands wrote:
If you can afford a laptop, go for it.

I can't afford a laptop. If I do get one it will be the cheapest one that serves the purpose.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Why do you hate it?

The keyboard itself is great.

But the cutting and pasting, and the editing functions, are not nearly as well-developed or easy to use as a laptop. Its difficult and frustrating to work with long or complicated documents.

For a writer, it would be even more difficult. I really don't recommend it.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:27 am
Iymnok wrote:
You can't type nearly as fast on an iPad. .

Even with an external keyboard?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:31 am
SixOfWands wrote:
But the cutting and pasting, and the editing functions, are not nearly as well-developed or easy to use as a laptop. Its difficult and frustrating to work with long or complicated documents.

Ok, this is helpful info.
I don't do the editing or copy/paste. I simply type the raw material and someone else does the rest.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:23 pm
amother wrote:
I like to shop at Costco so am working within the confines of what Costco offers online. My very old laptop died and I'm looking to replace it. I am wondering if an Ipad (with an attached full size keyboard) would suffice for the functions I need in a laptop:

1. Writing. I'm a writer. I write a lot. Years ago I tried (regret not buying it) a laptop with a feature that allowed for freezing the cursor, or whatever you call it. I could type with my eyes closed and the cursor wouldnt be all over the place. Do you know what im referring to?

2. Internet searches and downloads. On a typical day I need to download, read, and print 20-30 pdf's. (Some containing 25 pages average)

3. Connect to my printer easily. So no chromebook sort of thing.

4. Good Skype, and other video platforms, connection. So again, no chromebook.
That's basically what I use the laptop for. Do you think an Ipad would do? I see they're selling for 170. I've never had an ipad so am clueless.

If an Ipad won't cut it, I'll look fir a laptop. Any recommendations for an inexpensive one?
Thanks!!!

Can I just ask re. the "no chromebook" comments - these are things I never heard of before. Why would a chromebook not be able to connect to a printer or to Skype/videos any less than a regular laptop? I'm also shopping for a new device with somewhat similar needs to yours, and I'm mainly looking at laptops but still pondering whether a Chromebook could be a better choice especially in light of my budget limitations.

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
I can't afford a laptop. If I do get one it will be the cheapest one that serves the purpose.

A low-end basic laptop with over 500GB--especially with the holidays coming up will cost about $300-$500. An ipad--which is limited in its data capacity 16GB or 32GB unless you constantly sync to a cloud storage, but there's also the memory aspect, is also around $500. (Yes Android tablets are significantly cheaper, but also much more limited as well)

I personally don't like Apple product interfaces nor their keyboards. For simple Facebook or texts, I use my phone/tablet. For more involved responses I prefer my computer/laptop keyboard.

These days for an adult who is not in school and not involved in a field that handles a lot of documents then I would say a tablet/iPad can suffice, but OP claims to be a writer--I would definitely get a laptop.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:30 pm
I used an iPad solely for a few years for things including writing, small scale video editing, and internet. It was doable but a laptop is ten times more efficient. With a keyboard and maybe a mouse I guess it would be slightly easier, but I would still recommend a laptop of some sort if possible.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:34 pm
Last time I tested a Chromebook, it is not capable of downloading Skype or other video platform.
Maybe it allows video apps that are sold in the Google Store. I'm not sure.
Last time I tested a Chromebook it would not allow me to connect with my printer, only with a Google-conpatible printer. So I bought one, and it was quite the hassle to print. It wouldn't print directly to the printer. Had to send the documents to some cloud space and cloud space would send to printer. It was quite the time consuming printing job. I returned both the Chromebook and printer.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:35 pm
And I think it only allows you to download apps from their store.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
I would still recommend a laptop of some sort if possible.

Because?

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Last time I tested a Chromebook, it is not capable of downloading Skype or other video platform.
Maybe it allows video apps that are sold in the Google Store. I'm not sure.
Last time I tested a Chromebook it would not allow me to connect with my printer, only with a Google-conpatible printer. So I bought one, and it was quite the hassle to print. It wouldn't print directly to the printer. Had to send the documents to some cloud space and cloud space would send to printer. It was quite the time consuming printing job. I returned both the Chromebook and printer.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
It's odd, because I was able to print easily from my android phone at one point (since then, the phone has become extremely cranky and uncooperative in many aspects - I still have the same printer, which connects to my laptop over wifi as well.)

I've been keeping half an eye on the HP Stream. It basically has the specs of a Chromebook, but runs Windows. So it's definitely not laptop power, but it's cheap, thin-n-light, and could download Windows programs like Skype (but isn't there a chrome version of Skype? Hard to believe if not...) and Office. I saw in one place a Black Friday sale on the Stream for $200 and they give you Office 365 for free. I'm totally unsure whether I'm really into the Office 365 idea when for $150 you can get the regular Office to keep, but whatever, for a year of Office plus even a junky computer $200 seems like a fairly good deal. I could spend more and get a better computer, but I can't spend enough more to get a fabulous computer so it's a choice between $200-ish chromebook, $400-ish ok computer, or $200 HP Stream that is somewhat of a cross-breed and I'm not sure whether it takes the worst qualities of both or the better qualities of both.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, this is helpful info.
I don't do the editing or copy/paste. I simply type the raw material and someone else does the rest.

You don't do ANY editing? You just type it up and send it off without a single change? I never do -- I always go back and move things around and change words, etc. As was mentioned up-thread, it is obnoxious to do these things on a tablet. Tablets just weren't designed for high-level word processing.

Aside from the writing issues, there is a memory issue with any tablet: they don't have much memory. If you are hoping to store a lot of documents (you said you are downloading MANY in a day,) you will run out of storage FAST.

Do you know anyone with a tablet that you could borrow? It might give you a better idea of what we're talking about. An experience is worth a thousand words;)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics