Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Sweet 16 ideas???

underthestars

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:08 am
My daughter is turning 16 soon. For reasons beyond our control, we were not able to be there for a bat mitzvah with her. She understood, but let me know maybe we can do something small for her "16"th since we were not around at her bat mitzvah. Money is a factor so it needs to be something small, in our home. Any ideas what can be done? I have thought of having a sleepover with her friends, and have a pizza/rent a movie/play a game or two for her friends, but not sure if she would like that. I wanted this to be a surprise, so I cannot ask her. I have been in touch with her friend, but so far, no ideas have been forthcoming. Anyone out there have any "home" ideas?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:18 am
Are you sure she'd enjoy a surprise? She might prefer to have a say in the guest list, food, and activities as well as wanting to be dressed nicely when everyone shows up.

Does she have any interests/hobbies? Is she the type to enjoy a laid back atmosphere or would she like something more sophisticated?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:30 am
underthestars wrote:
My daughter is turning 16 soon. For reasons beyond our control, we were not able to be there for a bat mitzvah with her. She understood, but let me know maybe we can do something small for her "16"th since we were not around at her bat mitzvah. Money is a factor so it needs to be something small, in our home. Any ideas what can be done? I have thought of having a sleepover with her friends, and have a pizza/rent a movie/play a game or two for her friends, but not sure if she would like that. I wanted this to be a surprise, so I cannot ask her. I have been in touch with her friend, but so far, no ideas have been forthcoming. Anyone out there have any "home" ideas?

A sleepover with friends and pizza sounds like something that my girls have done since they were about 8, not something special for 16. YMMV.

I'd do something that keys in to her age. If she's never been allowed to wear makeup, take her for her first lip gloss. If she's never had pierced ears, now is the time. Or something else that denotes that she's not a little girl. Then maybe a quieter dinner at home for her and one or two friends, or the party you mentioned above.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:33 am
How about making a fancy ladies lunch at home for her and her friends? Use nice dishes, everyone can come dressed up. Make food you would normally consider a patchka.

underthestars

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:44 am
Thanks for some of the ideas. What is "YMMV" mean??

I did, on special birthdays before now, have her ears pierced, let her begin wearing make up, high heels, etc.

She is laid back and I think she may enjoy a surprise. She hasn't really had sleepovers, and pizza/movie nights with friends, hence, why I thought of it, but I also agree, it doesn't really denote a "Sweet 16"--which is why I thought someone else may have other ideas. She heard about a family member having a grand "16" with a trip to NY, broadway show, shopping (which she LOVES), etc but that isn't in my budget...so, any other ideas short of this???

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:49 am
There is a lot between sleepover and a broadway show in NYC. Ice skating with friends if that is not a commonly done activity, or even a local college production should keep the costs down while still feeling special.

underthestars

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:54 am
BetsyTracy,

Taking her ice skating with a fried could be a great idea. That is different but can still be fun. I am not sure in my area if I would want her to go to a performance/production with just a friend or two. Crime has been a real problem where I live lately.

Thank you for the idea

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:00 am
No problem. If you do find a nice ice rink, check if there are kosher snacks sold or if you can bring in outside food. If you can bring in food, then be sure to bring a thermos of hot cocoa and other fun treats! An easy way to add to the festivity of the day.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:02 am
What about taking her and a couple friends for manicures. Then a simple lunch or just cake and soda back at home.

underthestars

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:11 am
I did the manicure thing for her when school ended last year, but maybe she would want it if friends go as opposed to Mom...I am hoping to speak to her friend later so I will run these ideas by her and see what her reaction will be.

Thanks

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:16 am
underthestars wrote:
Thanks for some of the ideas. What is "YMMV" mean??

I did, on special birthdays before now, have her ears pierced, let her begin wearing make up, high heels, etc.

She is laid back and I think she may enjoy a surprise. She hasn't really had sleepovers, and pizza/movie nights with friends, hence, why I thought of it, but I also agree, it doesn't really denote a "Sweet 16"--which is why I thought someone else may have other ideas. She heard about a family member having a grand "16" with a trip to NY, broadway show, shopping (which she LOVES), etc but that isn't in my budget...so, any other ideas short of this???

Your Mileage May Vary.

So if its not something that she does all the time, she might love it as a party.

You could oomph it up by buying a bunch of nail polish and cosmetic mask samples, and let them have spa night.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:21 am
What about a ladies tea for her friends. Something a bit more special than pizza.

If you could swing it financially, maybe a makeup artist to come and give demos and lessons.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:28 am
If she loves shopping, then maybe do a scavenger hunt at a local mall.

What about jewelry making as an activity at home? You can get supplies at a craft store such as Michaels and get lots of ideas from YouTube.

underthestars

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:53 am
I really like the idea of getting samples of make up and nail stuff and letting her have fun with friends. I can see her liking that. She has done the jewelry making thing, so I am guessing she would not want to do that again.

You ladies are giving me some great ideas...I knew I could count on you.

Thanks so much
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries