Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Finding a job that fits your child's school schedule
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:12 pm
How do you find a job that fits with your child's school schedule??

It is sooooo hard for me to find jobs. Also, I've been out of work for 6 years (I decided to be a stay at home mom). Even if I do find a job, it won't be a high enough income (the job I was working at prior to having kids paid me $30,000). I worked in a hospital, but as you can see, the income wasn't high (I can't and won't go back to school right now to get a better career with higher salary because we don't have money for school and I really need to work). I was called for an interview at a hospital for the same type of job, but decided not to go for that. There's no way that with commute, I'd be home around 8-9pm and not see my kids when they go to sleep. I also don't want to take a job that is after 3:30pm. My kids get out at 3:30pm and we just can't pay extra for a babysitter AND tuition. So I was looking at stay at home jobs, and no luck so far. I was looking as being a virtual assistant, secreterial jobs. If we had any money saved, I'd take a chance and invest in selling products on amazon or ecommerce site, but I can't do that either. So what should I do?? It is REALLY hard. I don't have family around that could help bring back the kids after school if I do find work from 9-5pm. How do you do it??!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:19 pm
I was a SAHM for over 10 years. I didnt want to go back to my career which is full time. I looked for any office job, as long as the hours were ok. I BH found one. The pay isnt great, it more than covers any work related expenses. There is room for growth there, otherwise I can always leave once I can work for more hours.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:25 pm
Are you my twin? Also a low-ish paid former hospital worker, SAHM for 6 years, must be able to drive home after school...I ended up using my professional credentials to do non-hospital work that I never considered before as an independent contractor, that was more do-able during school hours. I just applied to everything and talked to everyone, followed every lead and learned about other aspects of the profession, until it all came together. I hope this helps!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 9:37 pm
I'm a single mom who has to work full time and leave super early before my kids school starts. I have no choice cuz I need the money.

I called tons of families in my kids school till I found someone who can drive them every morning for pay. And I had to find someone to watch them until I left to work.

It is so so so so hard to leave so incredibly early. Then after school they are dropped off at babysitter. I don't have family who can drive.

I almost make nothing after I pay for all that, but I make money overall during hours where I'm not paying for early/aftercare.

You make it work. My job is completely inflexible and rigid about missing. I can't run to pick up a sick kid. They need to stay home with a babysitter.

I have no choice. Not every parent can only work till 3.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 6:41 am
If you have to work and have to bring in money, something’s gotta give. Either you leave before the kids do, or you get home after them, or both. It sound like you want a job thats from 10-3. You MAY be able to find work for those hours in a store or something.

I arraigned my work schedule so I get home almost when my kids do. I leave at 7am, work from 7:30-3:30, my kids get dropped off doen the block from my house at a babysitter who I pay a few dollars, and I pick them up at 4. My husband works from 9-6:30, so he gets them out in the mornings.

When you HAVE to work, you make it work.

What is the hospital work that you did? Doesnt sound like nursing. You are anon anyways, if you can share with us your location and what you can do, we may be able to help you find work.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 7:57 am
-part time
-well paid enough to get a sitter after school

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 8:28 am
I found a job that has somewhat flexible hours. So I work from 6-3, and can be home for carpool, hw, etc... My husband get the kids up and ready for school. Maybe you can work out something similar. Work from early, or even work a night shift (you weren't clear what you do). It's hard because I'm tired a lot but bh for shabbos!!

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:35 am
These jobs are very hard to find. Working only your child’s hours is honestly a luxury.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
How do you find a job that fits with your child's school schedule??

It is sooooo hard for me to find jobs. Also, I've been out of work for 6 years (I decided to be a stay at home mom). Even if I do find a job, it won't be a high enough income (the job I was working at prior to having kids paid me $30,000). I worked in a hospital, but as you can see, the income wasn't high (I can't and won't go back to school right now to get a better career with higher salary because we don't have money for school and I really need to work). I was called for an interview at a hospital for the same type of job, but decided not to go for that. There's no way that with commute, I'd be home around 8-9pm and not see my kids when they go to sleep. I also don't want to take a job that is after 3:30pm. My kids get out at 3:30pm and we just can't pay extra for a babysitter AND tuition. So I was looking at stay at home jobs, and no luck so far. I was looking as being a virtual assistant, secreterial jobs. If we had any money saved, I'd take a chance and invest in selling products on amazon or ecommerce site, but I can't do that either. So what should I do?? It is REALLY hard. I don't have family around that could help bring back the kids after school if I do find work from 9-5pm. How do you do it??!

There are part time jobs available in my area. They are a bit harder to find and pay scale is much less but you don't have to pay for childcare if your kids are at school while you're at work. You'll make more than if you sit at home. Good luck!

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:01 am
watergirl wrote:
These jobs are very hard to find. Working only your child’s hours is honestly a luxury.

Finding a job from 9/10-2/3 is not hard. Just dont expect to get paid alot. If you dont have to pay for childcare then its worth it. You can always move on once life allows you to.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:02 am
I know this is not what you did previously, but would you be qualified to do anything in a school? Even if you don't teach a regular class, perhaps there is office work available or maybe a gym teacher opening? The hours would probably be what you need and if you find something in your own children School, perhaps there would be additional tuition breaks?

Working in education is the main way to have a job that works with your children's vacations and hours.

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:30 am
I would look at part time jobs at jewish agencies/jewish nonprofits.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:34 am
watergirl wrote:

It really, really depends on where you live. I have friends in different US cities - and the options are extremely different in each city, both for the balance of part time/ full time jobs, and also for the KINDS of jobs available.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
Finding a job from 9/10-2/3 is not hard. Just dont expect to get paid alot. If you dont have to pay for childcare then its worth it. You can always move on once life allows you to.

OP here

That's exactly my thinking. I know that if I do get lucky and find a job (I'd say it would be part time) with those hours, then I know I wouldn't get paid much, but at least I'd be bringing home some money while they're at school.

For those that said that sometimes I just have to work to make it work, I know. If I get lucky, I could find the same hospital shift with the early morning one (from 6-2:30pm). My husband leaves at 7am so someone would have to take my kids and be with them so early in the morning, but at least I'd come home early to pick them up and do homework with them. I also need to find a job that is local since we have one car (my husband takes it to work) and I'd have to commute with the train/bus so it can't be too far away for the sake I don't come home late for the kids. That's why I was also looking at stay at home jobs. I know the ones I was looking at don't pay much, but again, at least I wouldn't have to travel and be late to pick up the kids.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:43 am
cozyblanket wrote:
I know this is not what you did previously, but would you be qualified to do anything in a school? Even if you don't teach a regular class, perhaps there is office work available or maybe a gym teacher opening? The hours would probably be what you need and if you find something in your own children School, perhaps there would be additional tuition breaks?

Working in education is the main way to have a job that works with your children's vacations and hours.

That's a good idea. I can't be a teacher because I don't have the certification. But maybe I could be an assistant teacher for prek-k? I guess I could do some administrative assistant work if schools need or secretaries (I have some experience before working at hospital). I'll look for some, I don't know if it could be in the same yeshiva that my kids go to, I'll have to look at different schools around.

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
OP here

That's exactly my thinking. I know that if I do get lucky and find a job (I'd say it would be part time) with those hours, then I know I wouldn't get paid much, but at least I'd be bringing home some money while they're at school.

For those that said that sometimes I just have to work to make it work, I know. If I get lucky, I could find the same hospital shift with the early morning one (from 6-2:30pm). My husband leaves at 7am so someone would have to take my kids and be with them so early in the morning, but at least I'd come home early to pick them up and do homework with them. I also need to find a job that is local since we have one car (my husband takes it to work) and I'd have to commute with the train/bus so it can't be too far away for the sake I don't come home late for the kids. That's why I was also looking at stay at home jobs. I know the ones I was looking at don't pay much, but again, at least I wouldn't have to travel and be late to pick up the kids.

Are you an RN? There are work at home jobs for RNs, transcribing drs notes.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:52 am
cozyblanket wrote:

This! I used to work long hours, no vacation days and the stress was too much for me. Now I work in my kids school, have their hours and vacation. I don’t make as much but at least I’m working and not stressed.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 11:52 am
watergirl wrote:
Are you an RN? There are work at home jobs for RNs, transcribing drs notes.

No, if I was RN I would have gotten more than $30,000

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
No, if I was RN I would have gotten more than $30,000

Ok. You’re being super vague and a little bit snappy and I am just trying to help.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:22 pm
watergirl wrote:
Ok. You’re being super vague and a little bit snappy and I am just trying to help.

Vague - somewhat

Snappy- I don't think she meant it like that at all.

It's a stressful topic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics