Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Telemarketers, please answer my question
1  2  Next

Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:50 pm
If I know with 100% certainty that I will not buy the product you are trying to sell, would you rather I let you say your whole spiel and then politely decline, or interject in the beginning and politely decline? It's normally rude to interrupt, but perhaps it's ruder to "let" you say a long piece when knowing I have no interest?

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 11:12 pm
You’re too nice
I bang down the phone
I don’t think there is anything polite in calling me time and again to try to get my money. My phone is meant for people who actually want to speak to me.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:33 am
Are you on a do not call list?
If they call you anyway, especially with an auto dialler, you can sue them. There are actually people who go out of their way to try to make money this way.
I believe it's an even higher fine if it's to your cell phone.

weasley

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:48 am
Thanks for asking this question!! I worked as a telemarketer for an extended period of time. Until I did it as a job I always just put down the phone on telemarketers.
Anyone doing the job successfully knows and learns on the job not to get insulted by ANYTHING! But having said that, I would say it's appreciated when your spoken to like a human being. 'I'm so sorry were not interested, but have a great day' makes a world of differents!!!
If your speaking to them like a regular human imo it doesn't make too much of a difference if you cut them off or wait it out...

But ye I definitely do get that were annoying us telemarketers!

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:49 am
I just interruptt hem and say in a firm pleasant voice, 'No thank you. Have a nice day!" and hang up.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 4:00 am
Telemarketers, please get a different job.

cm

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 4:16 am
I used to say "I'm not interested, thank you," and hang up. No need to be rude, but no need to waste the caller's time (or your own) when time=money.

The do-not-call list was a blessing at first, but doesn't seem to be as effective any more.

With caller ID, I no longer pick up the phone if I don't know who it is. I haven't spoken to a marketer in years.

Orchid

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 6:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
If they call you anyway, especially with an auto dialler, you can sue them. There are actually people who go out of their way to try to make money this way.

I am, but somehow I get the occasional call. Not sure why.

Orchid

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 6:55 am
weasley wrote:
Thanks for asking this question!! I worked as a telemarketer for an extended period of time. Until I did it as a job I always just put down the phone on telemarketers.
Anyone doing the job successfully knows and learns on the job not to get insulted by ANYTHING! But having said that, I would say it's appreciated when your spoken to like a human being. 'I'm so sorry were not interested, but have a great day' makes a world of differents!!!
If your speaking to them like a regular human imo it doesn't make too much of a difference if you cut them off or wait it out...

But ye I definitely do get that were annoying us telemarketers!

So...did you mind being interrupted? Or would have been interrupted to save you the spiel?

(Assuming the person was nice in either case).

Jalapeño

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 8:25 am
I worked for a call center years ago in college (sorry!). It was a terrible job and thepeople who were constantly yelling at you for calling certainly did not help.

My favorite people to call were those who just asked me how I was/told me about their lives/were much nicer to deal with, but then I did not work on commission so I didn't care how much money I raised.

Also, there are complicated rules when you tell certain companies not to call. They're different depending on the places, but if someone told me simply not to call them again, that meant we would take them out of the current 'cycle' and then call them on the next cycle.
And, at least in the system I worked with there are spaces for notes from the callers, so I know if you've yelled at a worker before!

Oh and I definitely didn't mind being interrupted (in fact preferred it to having to say the whole dumb shpiel) but I can't speak for everyone.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 8:32 am
Iymnok wrote:

Do you know how I can check if I'm on a do not call list? I thought I was but over the last year I have gotten more and more telemarketer calls. It's out of control. Maybe 3 or 4 a day now. It's afwul. I will get a call from XYZ Corp. I will hang up, hang up, hang up but they still call. So next time I listen to their shpiel and then tell them I'm not interested please remove me from your call list. Later that day or the next morning they call again.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:28 pm
A reason why we are getting so many calls now is because of technology. Before, there was only one number who dialed you and the government (who made the do not call list) could prosecute violators. But now they can spoof numbers making it seem like they are calling from another number. So so if you call them back you won't get the people who actually dialed you. Frustrating but it seems they have given up on the list. I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number and am not expecting a call back from say the plumber.
If I accidentally pick up the phone I say nicely (unless you are #4 today) that I am not interested.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:32 pm
Iymnok wrote:

I am
But I believe op is talking about Frum telemarketers and I won’t exactly go and sue those

imasoftov

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 9:20 am
LittleDucky wrote:
A reason why we are getting so many calls now is because of technology.

Technology is also the reason you get any calls at all ...

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 6:36 pm
I think it is EXTREMELY RUDE OF TELEMARKETERS to shlep me from whatever I'm doing to bother me. They have a trick that they call from LOCAL numbers, to make it seem like a regular cell or home phone is calling from your area. NO, I don't want to be polite to them, as soon as I hear a lull before they start speaking...I hang up...if they say one word,,,I Hang up....too bad...JUST STOP BOTHERING ME!!!
JUST A QUESTION, does anyone buy anything because of these robocalls???

Boca00

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 6:41 pm
I try to remember there is a real person on the other end, doing this not because they want to bother me but because they are trying to make a living. So I'll speak to them the way I would want to be spoken to. "Thank you, but I'm not interested. Have a good day." Or "Sorry, now is really not a good time."

Generally, I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize and I hope if it is important they will leave me a message so I can call back. But sometimes I am waiting for an important call... And then it really ISN'T a good time.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 6:48 pm
Seems that you don't get an average of at least 10 a day....general telemarketers, frum stores, and charity organizations...Its just too much...

Boca00

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:
Seems that you don't get an average of at least 10 a day....general telemarketers, frum stores, and charity organizations...Its just too much...

Like I said, I generally just don't answer. It's when I do that I just try to be polite.

weasley

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 11:08 pm
Orchid wrote:
So...did you mind being interrupted? Or would have been interrupted to save you the spiel?

(Assuming the person was nice in either case).

Being interrupted wouldn't bother me... you get used to a lot worse!!

I was trained that if someone was on the do not call list they can sue the company for calling. I wonder if this is everywhere....?

Iymnok

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 11:18 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Do you know how I can check if I'm on a do not call list? I thought I was but over the last year I have gotten more and more telemarketer calls. It's out of control. Maybe 3 or 4 a day now. It's afwul. I will get a call from XYZ Corp. I will hang up, hang up, hang up but they still call. So next time I listen to their shpiel and then tell them I'm not interested please remove me from your call list. Later that day or the next morning they call again.

I don't know. Dh was looking into what's involved when calling people for his business and found that it's difficult and sometimes costly to do it leagally.

I don't know if tzedaka organizations and other non-profits have different laws.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics