Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O what's great about being a woman?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 9:17 pm
Spin-off of the 'lo asani isha' thread....Ladies truths only, do you really see positives in being a woman vs being a man? What are they?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 9:26 pm
I've never been a man, so it's hard to compare. I love bearing and raising children and running a home. But if I couldn't have children or didn't have a household, would I be worthless?

Also, the bracha of שלא עשני אשה doesn't mean that women don't like being women, or that there's nothing positive in being a woman. It means that Chazal thought women were inferior to men.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
Spin-off of the 'lo asani isha' thread....Ladies truths only, do you really see positives in being a woman vs being a man? What are they?

Being pregnant and giving birth (likley will be a once in a life time for me) was something that a man can never do - and it was despite a bit of discomfort here and there - the most incredible thing I've ever experienced.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 9:42 pm
Truthfully I think 'what's so great about being a man" is an equally valid question.
I never once felt that I wanted to trade places with a man.
I've always felt privileged to be a woman, especially because of women's childbearing capacity.
Birkot Hashachar were written by men who saw life through a male lense.
Shelo asani ishah is there because of the objective difficulties and drawbacks of being a woman.
It doesn't mean that my subjective experience of my gender has to be negative or that there aren't drawbacks to being male - especially in this day and age.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:37 pm
I prefer to keep my reproductive parts neatly tucked away inside. Men have it all hanging out constantly in a vulnerable position. Menstruating and all the pain and hormones that come along with it suck hard. However, at least I can keep the appearance of my present state of randiness to myself. Never the need to keep a pillow on my lap.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:55 pm
UK Mommies who watch BBC IPlayer - "Extreme Wives" is interesting, about Charedi women!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:06 am
If child bearing is the marker for enjoying being a woman, what does that say about women who struggle with infertility?

For me, I enjoy being on a higher spiritual plane, and having greater access to my emotions. I would never want to be a man, just for those reasons alone.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 2:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If child bearing is the marker for enjoying being a woman, what does that say about women who struggle with infertility?

For me, I enjoy being on a higher spiritual plane, and having greater access to my emotions. I would never want to be a man, just for those reasons alone.

I would be very sad if I couldn't be pregnant and give birth, or nurse a baby. (as you yourself have proven, even an adoptive mother can nurse a baby)

Just because some women unfortunately never get to experience it, doesn't mean that its not an important part of being a woman.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:50 am
I'll be unspiritual and say I enjoy not needing to daven three times a day, go to minyan, have the chinuch on me.
I enjoy that I don't have to provide.
I enjoy that I still am allowed to provide/daven more/learn if and when I want to, on my own terms. That's fantastic! I actually sometimes feel bad for men and wonder how they do!

Granted, pregnancy is very very hard.

unexpected

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:58 am
I love getting to experience life emotionally, with all the highs and lows and I sometimes feel bad for my husband who will never feel as intensely as I will
As far as davening, I think women are great communicators and therefore Chazal did not have to give us exact words to say to Hashem. They left it up to us to figure out what to say and when, and although it's really great to get through the siddur every day (I only usually manage it on Shabbos) it's the random throughout-the-day tefillos that really bring me close
Which brings me to childbirth which is such an amazing experience of connecting to Hashem and I am really sad for my husband and sons who will never ever have that

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:04 am
I don't really think one or the other is better. Like, I don't think there's anything so great about being a man that I'd want to be one, but I don't think being a woman is that amazing either, it's just reality. I don't think it's bad either. It just is. I'm also not particularly feminine. I'm very into sports, don't care that much about fashion, don't wear makeup. But I'm a woman and content to be one, I don't see the need to be anything else or feel particularly disadvantaged. The only thing that bothers me are expectations and stereotypes, because I don't conform to either of those. But those cut both ways and harm both genders, it's not specifically a female thing.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:46 am
Nobody asks me to help them move furniture or push their car out of the snow.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:56 am
zaq wrote:

I actually love this about being a woman. I love that when I ask for directions, 10 men will run from all over and try to help me. I love that when my car is stuck in the snow, 10 men will run to dig it out. I love that when I’m in the subway, there will always be men that insist on carrying my stroller up all the stairs. I know I’m supposed to insist that I can do all by myself and somehow feel degraded by their help. But I don’t. I feel powerful. I’m just being honest.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 5:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If child bearing is the marker for enjoying being a woman, what does that say about women who struggle with infertility

Nechama Leibowitz quoted the Akedat Yitzchak in "Iyunim b'Sefer Bereshit", page 233, on the conversation between Rachel and Yaakov where she says that she will die if she doesn't have children. He says that there are two words for (the first) woman, "ishah" and Chava, because a woman has two purposes, the first name which resembles "ish" (man) is because she like him can understand and become wise and pious while the second name, with the reason given for it in Bereshit 3:20 "because she was the mother of all life" refers to her secondary role in childbearing.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 5:05 am
I don't have the pressure of providing for a family
I don't have to go through yeshiva, gemarah sounds really HARD!
I am more intune to myself, and my emotions. Generally speaking, women are more so than men
I love being pretty, dressing up, clothing
I don't have to wear black and white
I am not asked to dig people out of the snow or help with heavy items
Men run to help me

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 5:37 am
zaq wrote:

I heard this comedian say what's so great about being a man. When the ship is sinking, who gets saved first, the women and children?! (I know not neccesarily in judiasm.)

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 6:49 am
yo'ma wrote:
I heard this comedian say what's so great about being a man. When the ship is sinking, who gets saved first, the women and children?! (I know not neccesarily in judiasm.)

Actually, even in Judaism women and children will get saved first. I know that there is a Gemara that says otherwise but in practical application, no one saves men first. Were the kindertransports loaded with men, or with children?

leah233

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 6:54 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Actually, even in Judaism women and children will get saved first. I know that there is a Gemara that says otherwise but in practical application, no one saves men first. Were the kindertransports loaded with men, or with children?

Children were the only ones eligible for the kindertransports .I agree that in an actual situation it wouldn't be a black on white decision to save the men first.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 6:58 am
From crusades to nowadays, any normal man would want to protect his wife and children. Puh-leez.

observer

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 7:04 am
I love being a woman! I love dressing feminine and pretty. I love being maternal, I love taking care of babies and children. I love being pregnant and giving birth, though I don't love the nausea, pain, etc. I love cooking for my husband and kids. I love nurturing my family.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics