Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Article: Haredi couple married on Shabbat due to urgent....

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 12:57 pm
http://www.jewishpress.com/new.....1/20/

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:01 pm
this story makes no sense. she likely was in nidda a week after her wedding- the reasoning is not their need to procreate .

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:05 pm
Interesting story!

My only quibble is with the editorial decision to write that the names of the families were omitted to spare them "humiliation."

Perfectly reasonable to omit the names in an interesting halachic case to maintain their privacy, but it sounds like the people involved did precisely what they should have: they asked a shaila; the talmidei chochomim whom they consulted reached a conclusions; and the families followed the p'sak.

It should never, ever be regarded (let alone reported!) as "humiliating" for a Jew facing an unusual or difficult halachic situation to ask a shaila, receive a p'sak, and follow it.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
this story makes no sense. she likely was in nidda a week after her wedding- the reasoning is not their need to procreate .

Where are you getting the need to procreate?

It was almost certainly unnecessary. Even if the ring wasn't the one they chose, he owned it, he gave it, she accepted it. Done deal. So it was a pants and suspenders thing because they already had a wedding, already did the deed, and didn't want to have to do the whole chuppa and sheva brachas over.

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

It was almost certainly unnecessary. Even if the ring wasn't the one they chose, he owned it, he gave it, she accepted it. Done deal. So it was a pants and suspenders thing because they already had a wedding, already did the deed, and didn't want to have to do the whole chuppa and sheva brachas over.

Obviously, their rabbi thought it was necessary.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
Not all brides are nidda a week after they are married. And nowhere in the article does it say anything about procreating. What does that have to do with anything here?

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:10 pm
The "need to procreate" business comes directly from the article itself:

Quote:
In the end, they decided to rely on the ruling of Rabbi Moshe Isserles, “the Rama,” author of a gloss to the Shulchan Aruch by Rabbi Yosef Karo, discussing cases where Sephardi and Ashkenazi customs differ. The Rama ruled that when an urgent need arises it is possible to conduct a wedding on Shabbat – the urgent need being both the commandment to procreate and the families’ wish to avoid public humiliation as invited guests might be turned away.

But all this started during sheva brachot, so it seems they did a "do-over" huppah after the big event with guests had already taken place.

So maybe that "need to procreate"was indeed the justification?

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:17 pm
they didnt want to cancel the sheva brachos so they did a small chuppa on shabbos morning with just the minimum required people present.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:20 pm
I cant open the article but I thought you cant get married on shabos?

water_bear88

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:45 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

There's a problem with a gold- or silver-plated ring, or with stones, because they bring into question the precise value of the ring- so it's slightly more complicated than the bolded. It's probably the fact that there's a safek that allowed them to have the chuppa on Shabbat, though.

ibelongtosomebody

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:41 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

This story took place in Bnei Brak, home of some of the leading Poskim of our day. Doubtlessly, they were consulted. And lovely ladies on imamother, knowledgeable as they may be, can debate the 'necessity' and reasoning of their psak?

salt

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 7:13 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
I cant open the article but I thought you cant get married on shabos?

You're right. Hence the special psak, and the article. If they'd have gotten re-married on a Monday, that wouldn't make an interesting piece of news.

Quoting from the article:
"The Rama ruled that when an urgent need arises it is possible to conduct a wedding on Shabbat"

miami85

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 7:26 am
amother wrote:

My understanding was more that they couldn't hold the sheva brachos due to lack of presence of chosson and kallah so they had to re-hold the wedding. My parents had to do something similar b/c of a problem with the eidim being distantly related.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 7:41 am
Raisin wrote:
they didnt want to cancel the sheva brachos so they did a small chuppa on shabbos morning with just the minimum required people present.

I am surprised that cancelling a Sheva Brachot party is justification for violating Shabbat.

I assume a more pressing issue was that the couple were already together, so it would have been humiliating to publicly announce that the first wedding was invalid.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 9:44 am
DrMom wrote:
I am surprised that cancelling a Sheva Brachot party is justification for violating Shabbat.

I assume a more pressing issue was that the couple were already together, so it would have been humiliating to publicly announce that the first wedding was invalid.

I'm assuming that by sheva brachos, it means either under the chupa or bentching at the wedding.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 10:19 am
Iymnok wrote:
I'm assuming that by sheva brachos, it means either under the chupa or bentching at the wedding.

No, read the article.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 2:27 pm
It’s a classic legal opinion and it makes perfect sense to me.

The delivery of the wrong Ring was a technical issue that may have rendered the marriage ceremony invalid. In classic contracts, there was an misconception and no meeting of the minds and therefore no binding contract.

This was a terrible result and obviously everyone wanted the couple to be properly married and not have to make an announcement that a “legal” technicality put a whole glitch in everything.

Therefore, the need for procreation was used as the justification for arriving at the result that should have occurred. That the couple was halachkally and legally married as soon as possible.

Isn’t this kind of legal reasoning used often to achieve a result that all parties agree is highly desirable. In this case, the wedding on Shabbos was not seen as worse than having a married couple’s happiness on what should be one of the happiest days of one’s life destroyed.

At least that’s how I see it. In legal terms, courts of equity were once completely separate from regular law courts because they strove to achieve results that were outside the strictest boundaries of the legal system and to do equity. Of course, there were qualifications such as the clean hands doctrine to seek equity.

At any rate, it’s exactly why my Bubbe used to say Jews were such excellent lawyers because they had centuries of Talmudic parsing in their gene pool :-) Very Happy

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 22 2017, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 12:53 am
Fox wrote:
Interesting story!

My only quibble is with the editorial decision to write that the names of the families were omitted to spare them "humiliation."

Perfectly reasonable to omit the names in an interesting halachic case to maintain their privacy, but it sounds like the people involved did precisely what they should have: they asked a shaila; the talmidei chochomim whom they consulted reached a conclusions; and the families followed the p'sak.

It should never, ever be regarded (let alone reported!) as "humiliating" for a Jew facing an unusual or difficult halachic situation to ask a shaila, receive a p'sak, and follow it.

I suspect that the "humiliation" is a drastic word, perhaps lost in translation, but more like as much as they did the right thing by asking and following through with the shaila, its more like they don't need the whole world reminding them of their situation like ex. it was "Dovid Cohen"-- and someone meets them, "Oh! So you're Dovid Cohen who had that interesting marriage situation?tell me, did x,y, z happen?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions