Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you find this profile of Judge Rachel Freier inspiring
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

kjb

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:24 pm
(even though it appears in the NY times!) I think she's remarkable but I would be genuinely interested in the views of chassidic imamothers. And, please, no bashing!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1......html

pesek zman

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:27 pm
Not chassidish. Very inspiring

Though I am fascinated to know what the response of her BY high school is

kjb

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:43 pm
The article says she's married to a Bobov Chassid. No?

rgr

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:45 pm
The link is not working for me, would you mind checking it?

nursemomma

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:46 pm
kjb wrote:
The article says she's married to a Bobov Chassid. No?

I think pz means she herself is not, not Ruchie.

kjb

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:48 pm
trying again with the link:Web Page Name

Let me know if its working.

kjb

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:50 pm
nursemomma wrote:

Now I read it again you're obviously right!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 2:04 pm
She is my role model. She is proof of my belief that we can have the best of both worlds. I appreciated the shout out to our local Montreal heroine, Mindy Pollak. She not only won her seat on the city council in 2013, she then spent 4 years as the single voice of reason on a hostile council. Her perseverance paid off two weeks ago when she swept her party to victory as they won 4/5 city council seats.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 2:38 pm
Personally did not find it inspiring.
I don't know if this is how she portrayed herself or if this is how the NYT decided gto portray it, but it sounds like she remained frum out of convenience (Her community, shidduchim for her daughters,...)
Where is the "I believe in G-d and in His laws, and in he rabbinical traditions and was not willing to breach them?"
I was raised in and live a chassidic life and have a public position in an OOT community, maybe also not the "typical" chassidish woman and am often asked such questions. For me it is obvious: I believe in my mesorah and it is my number one priority. It is Hashem who gave me the talent and ability to do the things I do and I do it in a way that does not contradict my beliefs.

Yes, it is possible for a woman who is able (and not on the cheshbon of her family) to use her abilities for the greater good. It does not make one comparable to Devorah. Every generation had women like that.

Again, maybe Ruchie did not portray herself that way, but the article for sure makes it sound like she stayed in the community not because of beliefs but because of convenience. I am surprised she didn't make them fix that before publishing.

ETA: I do not want to bash Ruchie with these comments. I know she truly is frum and helps many at risk teens. Just surprised at the lack of kiddush Hashem.

kjb

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:40 pm
I agree that she could have given more serious and positive reasons for why she values her religious community, traditions and beliefs. But very often, it's the journalist that decides what to put in and what not to and she may not have had the ability to veto what is said in the final article. She DOES seem to have combined being a judge - in night court no less - with keeping Halakha from a chassidic viewpoint.

leah233

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know if this is how she portrayed herself or if this is how the NYT decided gto portray it, but it sounds like she remained frum out of convenience (Her community, shidduchim for her daughters,...)
Where is the "I believe in G-d and in His laws, and in he rabbinical traditions and was not willing to breach them?"

I'm not chasidish and have no opinion on Rochel Freier but I don't see how it sounds like she remained frum out of convenience.

Also when you are speaking to the New York Times if you say "I believe in G-d and in His laws etc'' you are almost guaranteeing an article making fun of you.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:05 pm
nursemomma wrote:

She is not chassidish? The entire hullabaloo when she became judge was that this was the first chassidish woman to fill a public position like that. (Though I have no idea who she is so I find it interesting to hear now that she isn't even considered a chassidish woman.)

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
She is not chassidish? The entire hullabaloo when she became judge was that this was the first chassidish woman to fill a public position like that. (Though I have no idea who she is so I find it interesting to hear now that she isn't even considered a chassidish woman.)

Reread the post that you quoted. It states the opposite of what you are assuming.

Mothers

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:08 pm
I went to school with her (and was in her legal sten class). I didn’t consider her Chassidish (maybe heimishe) - typical Bais Yaakov girl.

That said, what she has accomplished is remarkable. Before becoming a judge, she founded a couple of community organizations (Bderech and Ezra’s Nashim), filling needs as she saw them.

You can hear about her in her own words - not the NYT - here:

https://www.ou.org/watch-judge.....ters/

crust

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
I was raised in and live a chassidic life and have a public position in an OOT community, maybe also not the "typical" chassidish woman and am often asked such questions. For me it is obvious: I believe in my mesorah and it is my number one priority. It is Hashem who gave me the talent and ability to do the things I do and I do it in a way that does not contradict my beliefs.

Yes, it is possible for a woman who is able (and not on the cheshbon of her family) to use her abilities for the greater good. It does not make one comparable to Devorah. Every generation had women like that.

Again, maybe Ruchie did not portray herself that way, but the article for sure makes it sound like she stayed in the community not because of beliefs but because of convenience. I am surprised she didn't make them fix that before publishing.

ETA: I do not want to bash Ruchie with these comments. I know she truly is frum and helps many at risk teens. Just surprised at the lack of kiddush Hashem.

I am not picking up that vibe.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:33 pm
I am inspired by Rachel Freier, but what bothers me is that she is basically a unicorn; that this is not the norm.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 4:42 pm
That was basically a rave from the NYT. It’s nice to get some positive press from them about an Orthodox Jew.

I think she sounds like an amazing woman.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:

No, no. Pesek Zman the poster is not chassidish. Judge Freier is. How does a chossid get a name like Freier?

kjb

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 6:24 pm
She IS Chassidic - Bobov through marriage, if not from birth. The idea that she isn't was just a misunderstanding at the top of the thread

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 6:48 pm
I think this is an amazing inspiration for all those chasidishe people that think they can't have both and be part of their amazing community. There is no need for then to turn an organization like footsteps. They can go to college, earn a respectable degree and raise a great toradik family.
Just walk into Touro (especially Boro Park division) and you will see for yourself Chasidim ask getting their degrees. Thank you Ruchy for showing us by example.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics