Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
NJ Yeshivas for IEP kids (behavioral)

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 10:41 am
I need to know who can handle kids with ADHD. Child is very bright and academically advanced but struggles in the classroom environment. Not aggressive or anything, just disruptive and poor executive function (social skills not great either). We are NOT willing to consider public school. Also, would any schools be ok with having a para? Our insurance covers ABA, so I'm not concerned about getting it covered by the state. We are willing to move to any frum community in NJ except Lakewood (though reasonably commutable to Lakewood is a plus).

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:16 pm
Anyone?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:49 pm
I think your best bet is to meet with the schools and be very honest. My advice, from personal experience is that Yeshivat Noam wouldn't be a good fit. Nothing wrong with them in general, but not a good fit for a kid with behavior issues and/or ADHD that isn't controlled well by medication.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:51 pm
Not sure if this is an option but I heard that there is a Montessori yeshiva in Passaic.

There's also sinia schools of nj for special ed.

And mekor hachinuch.org - look them up, they can help with this.

Is your child on meds now?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:56 pm
There are a few schools in northern NJ that may work. Try Kuschner or Ben Porat Yosef.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:57 pm
Thanks. We looked into Netivot Montessori and they said that it's very difficult for a kid who hasn't been in a Montessori program from the start. He is too high functioning for Sinai. He does take meds (we're at the beginning of the medication journey, it's been less than 6 months) and it helps but he still needs a lot of support in the classroom. I just looked up Mekor Hachinuch. Looks like what we need but Seems they work with the Lakewood schools? We're too modern for Lakewood. Do you think someone there would be able to advise me anyway?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks. We looked into Netivot Montessori and they said that it's very difficult for a kid who hasn't been in a Montessori program from the start. He is too high functioning for Sinai. He does take meds (we're at the beginning of the medication journey, it's been less than 6 months) and it helps but he still needs a lot of support in the classroom. I just looked up Mekor Hachinuch. Looks like what we need but Seems they work with the Lakewood schools? We're too modern for Lakewood. Do you think someone there would be able to advise me anyway?

I think there is something similar to mekor hachinuch in Brooklyn and Queens. Maybe call them for phone numbers.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
I think there is something similar to mekor hachinuch in Brooklyn and Queens. Maybe call them for phone numbers.

We have good options in Brooklyn. Problem is dh wants to move closer to Lakewood. Maybe we should move to Staten Island? I am just feeling so lost.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:29 pm
oh, I thought you were moving because of your son.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:38 pm
He's the reason we haven't moved LOL But it is getting hard so I'm trying to see if there's any way to make it work.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 2:42 pm
As a general rule, NYC has way better services than NJ. Definitely investigate that before leaving NY.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 2:45 pm
Yavneh in Paramus takes kids who are high functioning special needs.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 11:00 pm
There is currently no montessori school in Passaic.
Good luck!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 12:23 am
Please do your research, it is a nightmare to get services in NJ! Maybe a more specialized school can do more for you,but the mainstream yeshiva type schools that I have dealt with really dont offer much support.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 6:59 am
He doesn't really get services anymore. He gets once a week OT at this point. The only other thing he gets is ABA, but that's through insurance, so location doesn't matter. That's why I'm trying to figure out which yeshiva he can go to where they'll accommodate him, let him have his para etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)