Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this abuse?
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 11:19 am
simba wrote:
I was holding the phone this morning ready to call 911 and was happy to hear the child crying cause that meant she was alive. It is too much responsibility for me to bear. What if Ch'v the child got hurt or was killed and good and nice me was thinking of ways to help. Maybe a visit from the mean non jews will wake her up to get the help she needs.
I feel terrible about it, don't get me wrong, I just cant carry the weight. I am still shaking.

I applaud you for calling. I think a spin-off would have been a better choice, rather than posting in this thread. My apologies.

I wouldn't want you to feel bad about your choice to call. I was feeling sad for the position you were finding yourself in. And for the child. And for the parent. I hope things turn out ok.

BasMelech120

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 11:41 am
simba wrote:
I was holding the phone this morning ready to call 911 and was happy to hear the child crying cause that meant she was alive. It is too much responsibility for me to bear. What if Ch'v the child got hurt or was killed and good and nice me was thinking of ways to help. Maybe a visit from the mean non jews will wake her up to get the help she needs.
I feel terrible about it, don't get me wrong, I just cant carry the weight. I am still shaking.

You did the right thing!!! You are a brave hero, and may have saved a child's life - quite literally.

And, just letting you and other posters know - removing a child from the home is the last resort EVEN WITH THE GOVERNMENT. There are not a lot of foster homes and removing a child is expensive, a hassle, and never the first option. If you hear of cases in which a child was removed from the home, it means that the child was literally in danger. It is not simple matter.

It may serve us to believe that 'non-Jews', especially the child case-workers are horrible people - after all, that justifies us not calling for help in a situation like this. But, OP was brave and actually potentially saved a child's life - by calling this 'non-Jewish agency'. These agencies are certainly not perfect and there is room for improvement, but putting a blank statement such as 'never involve the government or non-Jews' is detrimental to the child at risk of danger or death.

And, in the NY area there is Ohel, a Jewish social service agency that will likely oversee any social service case that is brought against community members. So you have wonderful, TRAINED professionals, who happen to be Jewish, who might do a lot of work with families like this.

Again, OP, THANK YOU. You have saved a child, you have saved a world.

crust

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 11:48 am
simba wrote:
Update. I spoke to a Rav and An organization that told me I must report. I called and reported. Was shaking the whole time. Hashem please have mercy on them.

Very good!! Thank you.
I hope your call gets the attention it deserves.
Davening for this child.

observer

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 11:52 am
Just want to reiterate that in most cases, the children are not removed from the home. That is only a LAST resort in really extreme situations.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:01 pm
OP - you did the right thing.

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:03 pm
The family needs help. But I suggested calling for help rather than reporting because you just assumed there was hitting - how can you know from just hearing? They could be yellers - not good. But there are a lot of mothers who yell and just need parenting classes, counseling or whatever.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:05 pm
Simple1 wrote:
The family needs help. But I suggested calling for help rather than reporting because you just assumed there was hitting - how can you know from just hearing? They could be yellers - not good. But there are a lot of mothers who yell and just need parenting classes, counseling or whatever.

Social services will conduct an investigation.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics