Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you drive carpool if your kid is sick

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:12 pm
Do you drive carpool if your kid is sick and another family (or families) are counting on you to drive their kid, or do you cancel for the days your kid is sick? What if it isn't one day, but a few days in a row, or what if your kid gets sick somewhat frequently?

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:14 pm
I don't do carpool- but I would think it only makes sense to do so. Otherwise you may be leaving all the other parents stuck and scrambling to rearrange their plans/ schedule etc an hour before school starts. (What if people chose a specific carpool day because it works with their working schedule etc .)

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:29 pm
You ask if you can switch days with someone. If not, then you drive if it is only for a couple of days.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:37 pm
cnc wrote:
I don't do carpool- but I would think it only makes sense to do so. Otherwise you may be leaving all the other parents stuck and scrambling to rearrange their plans/ schedule etc an hour before school starts. (What if people chose a specific carpool day because it works with their working schedule etc .)

This. I live in a town where carpool is pretty much standard and yes, you drive carpool even if your child is not going that day for some reason. It's also fine to switch with someone else for that day but it's definitely your responsibility.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:38 pm
If you are part of a carpool, it is absolutely your responsibility to drive on your designated days. If someone can switch with you, great. But it's up to you to get those kids to their destination.

Ditto for vacations, etc...you have to make arrangements and not leave people hanging.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:40 pm
If my kids not coming the day I have carpool I try to switch with a different parent for another day. If not I drive anyway.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
You ask if you can switch days with someone. If not, then you drive if it is only for a couple of days.

This. I try to switch, but I am offering to make up the drive. If no one can switch, I would drive, unless the child was so sick and I can't get them out of bed at all and in the car... Then I would have called and apologized. But I don't recall that happening.

We shouldn't be leaving our carpoolers stuck unless we have no choice. Its just not fair. They often can't do it when it isnt their day. People plan their carpool schedules very carefully.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:55 pm
I agree with other posters, unless the "carpool" isn't a pooling of drivers' efforts but instead you giving other children rides as a free favor, without getting rides for your child in return. In that case I think it's OK not to drive, though it's kind to give as much notice as possible.

I've asked other drivers to switch shifts when I couldn't drive, and have also tried to be as flexible as possible when other drivers ask to switch--even when I've ended up driving undesirable shifts like Thanksgiving eve.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 3:30 pm
OP here. Thanks for the responses. The situation was actually that the family we carpool with had kid that was sick and out of school for a week. I felt so bad that she was doing carpool and dragging her kid out, even though it would be very inconvenient for me to go out at that time.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:50 pm
I don't do carpools but I would not want to have my kids in a car with a child who isn't feeling well.

Would you want a child with the flu, or croup in the car? If you have an infant, these things can come out much harsher when they're younger. I would rather drive my child to school myself.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
I don't do carpools but I would not want to have my kids in a car with a child who isn't feeling well.

Would you want a child with the flu, or croup in the car? If you have an infant, these things can come out much harsher when they're younger. I would rather drive my child to school myself.

For sure. That's why it's best to call the other parents and inform them and try to switch with them. But Sometimes they can't switch and they'll tell you it's okay and they can be in the car together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics