Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Legal vs not legal nurseries

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:50 pm
Pros and cons.... and go!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:54 pm
Legal: you can use childcare credit (5k a year tax free)

groovy1224

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:55 pm
The pros are fairly obvious.. the legality and safety, plus you can deduct childcare expenses.

The only 'con' is that they cost more than two most basement playgroups.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:12 pm
Didn’t realize you can tax relief for nursery

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
Didn’t realize you can tax relief for nursery

How old is the child?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:11 pm
Will be 3 next year

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:57 pm
Nursery isn't a real thing. Until kindergarten (or pre k in NYC) I'm pretty sure it's all just called 'child care'

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 6:10 pm
Pro's- There are more adults around, it's safer, there is insurance in case G-d forbid an accident, there is someone to complain too if you have an issue other than the morah herself
Con's- it's more expensive

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 6:31 pm
Regarding legal preschools, the pros are obvious. Cons: The staff can range from very good down to women just there to earn money and shmooze. Finding enough staff is a challenge. OTOH, if you research a private group, you know the Morah - many are warm and devoted and take pride in their work which can be seen in the details. Obviously there are Morahs not like that, but this is why you research.

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 6:48 pm
It's also a good idea to research the legal place to see how well run it is.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 8:52 pm
It's been a long time since I've had a child in playgroup/nursery program. I was about to say "a long time since I had a horse in the race," but I'm trying to cut back on animal metaphors. Very Happy

My experiences echo what Simple1 said: I initially sent to a licensed, larger Jewish childcare center with separate classes. The director was great and really ran a great place. Unfortunately, she moved away and the center closed.

I sent kids to a couple of in-home licensed playgroups, but I was never really happy. I felt like they were focused 100 percent on following the letter of the law rather than actually doing a good job. For example, there would be an excellent ratio of staff to children, but the staff wouldn't necessarily interact or even watch the children. In the other playgroup, some of the staff were very cold and short-tempered with the kids.

I had better luck, truthfully, with the unlicensed playgroups in my community.

Honestly, I think you have to evaluate every playgroup/nursery program on its own merits. Licensure is obviously a good thing, but the license only tells you that the place follows certain rules and has filled out a bunch of forms correctly. It doesn't tell you if the people working there are going to do a good job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics