Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Great idea! Supper in bed!
1  2  3  Next

creditcards

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:56 pm
Please only nice posts. Don't tell me I'm crazy. Tell me anything else.
It was getting late. Kids still were not in bed. They didn't really have a normal supper but ate a bunch of snacks. One kid ate 2 eggs, only one wanted. Each kid got a bag of French fries to eat in bed. I just didn't have any energy to deal with supper by the table. I usually have to bribe them to eat and it takes a long time.
Please tell me other shortcuts or tricks you do to make life easier...

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:14 pm
Today when each kid got home from school ( they all roll in at different times) I said today's dinner is " You can decide what's for dinner tonight. The options are pita pizza, pita and peanut butter, pita and scrambled eggs, pita and tuna or cereal. ". They each chose what they wanted and they all ate. ( so even though I really didn't have dinner to serve they felt like I made them what THEY wanted even though I gave pretty lousy choices. Nobody complained

SingALong

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:17 pm
I heard of someone who used to feed the kids in the bath...

babysmum

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:20 pm
Every now and then my kids complain they are hungry when they are already in bed. If I think their complaint is legit then they will get bread with peanut butter or tuna fed to them.
I don't think what you did was crazy. I try to make sure my kids eat before bedtime but if it so happens they didn't then feeding in bed is a win win for me.

Boca00

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:20 pm
Yumm! Your kids were probably so thrilled.

I tell lots of stories to motivate them to get dressed, eat or go to bed. "Once upon a time blah blah blah.... Ok eat this/put on your clothes/lie down and I'll tell you what happened next..."
It's a little tiring but I love telling stories and they absolutely love hearing them, especially when they star in the stories.

babysmum

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:22 pm
SingALong I do that too when they arevery little like under 2. Not often but sometimes they are playful and distracted and eat best in the bath

oliveoil

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:45 pm
sorry, you're proud that you didn't make supper for your kids but fed them a bag of potato chips in bed?

creditcards

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:53 pm
oliveoil wrote:
sorry, you're proud that you didn't make supper for your kids but fed them a bag of potato chips in bed?

No, I feel like a failure Sad
(French fries, not chips)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:56 pm
creditcards wrote:
No, I feel like a failure Sad
(French fries, not chips)

You shouldn't feel that way. Those that appear perfect on the outside are really not that perfect. Cut yourself some slack. I bet your kids loved it and they'll be asking to do it more often

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:58 pm
My immediate reaction to the thread title and basically the OP was, bet this thread could merge with the "Don't judge me" thread.
Creditcards, btdt. If not this, something else that the kids still talk about when they reminisce together.
There is something I'm concerned about and I am not at all judgmental or not nice about this, just wondering. (And you do NOT have to answer this.) You say you bribe your kids to eat all the time. Have you gotten any advice about this? Parenting coaches, food whisperers (just made that up but you probably kwim)? I know you're not alone in this struggle and I hope you find a wonderful shaliach to shepherd you through this.

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 7:09 pm
I actually feed the kids supper at about 3:30 or 4 PM. They are starving when they get home from school. Then we do a little snack of fruit or nuts right before bed.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 7:13 pm
SingALong wrote:

We must know each other Very Happy .

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 2:51 am
In the summer you can take a picnic supper to the park. House stays tidy. Smile

I know someone who would dress kids for the next day at night. (stay at home dad with twins. He proudly told me this)

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 4:14 am
1) Get kids involved in food prep - they are way more likely to eat something they were involved in
2) Make sure to serve on kid size plates/utensils. It's less overwhelming.
3) Let them pick dinner (within reason).
4) Don't stress about it. If my kids choose not to eat dinner, there's always breakfast (don't do this if your kid is failure to thrive or has other medical issues).
5) I try to have cut vegetables waiting on the table when we get home so that they grab some while waiting for me to plate dinner.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 4:17 am
You should try the ideas they had in mishpacha 2 weeks ago.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 4:40 am
I think I would only do this if a child is sick, and I would select things that aren't:

- greasy (no fries)
- crumb-generating (no matzah or couscous)
- smelly (no tuna fish or cabbage)

Plus, we are sticklers for pre-bedtime tooth-brushing, so they'd have to get up anyway.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 4:58 am
SingALong wrote:

Do you know me?
At some point I did this every night.
It kept my kid alive. She wasn't eating or gaining.
In the bath she was calm and distracted.
(But ne ready for lots of chewed spit out pcs in the bath..... I would then rinse her off standing and take her out.)

Last edited by Tzutzie on Wed, Nov 22 2017, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 6:07 am
LovesHashem wrote:
You should try the ideas they had in mishpacha 2 weeks ago.

I was thinking about that article. I never got around to fully reading it but I think at the very least, like I said, OP will see that she's not on uncharted territory.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 6:29 am
oliveoil wrote:

She's not perfect. She had an off day, and did what she had to in order to get food (including eggs, not just fries) into her kids, and save her sanity.

No one went hungry. No one is malnourished.

Chill.

sirel

Post Wed, Nov 22 2017, 7:09 am
If my kids say they're hungry once they're in bed I give them apples, and then I dont make them brush their teeth again.
For some reason, I have this idea in my head that apples clean your teeth Smile no idea where I got that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics