Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
What size and how many instant pots?
Previous  1  2

shyshira

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 1:17 pm
L K wrote:
So I understand the best options are
8-qt 6-in-1 for fleishig, and 5(?)-qt 7-in-1 for milchig? I wonder if 6 qt is too big for milchigs...

really very much depends on what you use it for. Sounds like you are in the market for multiples? Why not start with one, and see if you enjoy it. They go on sale more than once a year.

I purchased the 7 in 1, rather than the 6 in 1, based on the lid. When you open the 7 in 1 you can rest the lid on the 'side' - the 6 in 1 doesn't have that feature. I have minimal counter space.

L K

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 1:40 pm
shyshira wrote:
really very much depends on what you use it for. Sounds like you are in the market for multiples? Why not start with one, and see if you enjoy it. They go on sale more than once a year.

I purchased the 7 in 1, rather than the 6 in 1, based on the lid. When you open the 7 in 1 you can rest the lid on the 'side' - the 6 in 1 doesn't have that feature. I have minimal counter space.

I would start with one for fleishigs; just figuring out what's the best option and then checking what's on sale. But if I know what size is good for milchigs ill be on the lookout too.

L K

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:26 am
Just saw that limit on food amount for pressure cooking is 2/3 of the pot! That means you can essentially put only 5.3 qts worth of food into an 8-qt pot?! That makes it so much smaller, wow, a huge difference.

Is the only time you can use full volume of the pot when you slow-cook?

shyshira

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:51 pm
L K wrote:
Just saw that limit on food amount for pressure cooking is 2/3 of the pot! That means you can essentially put only 5.3 qts worth of food into an 8-qt pot?! That makes it so much smaller, wow, a huge difference.

Is the only time you can use full volume of the pot when you slow-cook?

Or use the saute function.

L K

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:03 pm
shyshira wrote:
Or use the saute function.

What do you mean? Sauté function isn't for fast high-volume cooking, is it? Like a soup or meatballs or pot roast with potatoes.

shyshira

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:36 pm
The saute function is like putting a pot on a stove top element, at high heat, with the lid off.

You had asked about when you could use the full volume of the pot. You mentioned 'slow cook' I added 'saute' to the list. Yes, its not for rapid pressure cooking.

Anecdotally, people do take some liberties with the 2/3 full instruction.

L K

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:42 pm
shyshira wrote:
The saute function is like putting a pot on a stove top element, at high heat, with the lid off.

You had asked about when you could use the full volume of the pot. You mentioned 'slow cook' I added 'saute' to the list. Yes, its not for rapid pressure cooking.

Anecdotally, people do take some liberties with the 2/3 full instruction.

Get it, thanks . I must be slow today.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:45 pm
QUESTION- If its all metal inside and seals completely can you just get two separate inserts and lids and one unit for milchig and fleshing?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains