Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeup has lead and toxins unless you buy lead-free
1  2  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:35 am
I like how I look with makeup on and I dont like how I look without makeup.

I just saw a news program about department store and drug store makeup.

Its all full of lead and toxins.

Theres no government agency checking ingredients, but those who read up on this find safer products.

Only a few companies make lead free and toxin free lipsticks and other beauty products, and most you can only purchase online.

Imagine, women are spending a fortune on makeup on 13th avenue and in department stores,and its all harmful!

Does anyone have any experience or information on safe makeup?

imeinu

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:44 am
hmmm...Mary Kay?

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:48 am
amother wrote:

Theres no government agency checking ingredients, but those who read up on this find safer products.

Only a few companies make lead free and toxin free lipsticks and other beauty products, and most you can only purchase online.

Imagine, women are spending a fortune on makeup on 13th avenue and in department stores,and its all harmful!

Why do you say this? The FDA has set guidelines for lead content in cosmetics, and cosmetics must pass FDA testing to be approved for sale in the US:
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/.....4.htm

They also test extensively other colors and dyes in food and cosmetics:
https://www.fda.gov/ForIndustr.....t.htm

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:59 am
DrMom wrote:
Why do you say this? The FDA has set guidelines for lead content in cosmetics, and cosmetics must pass FDA testing to be approved for sale in the US:
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/.....4.htm

They also test extensively other colors and dyes in food and cosmetics:
https://www.fda.gov/ForIndustr.....t.htm

“We asked the FDA to do a little analysis and they basically said that less than one percent of imported cosmetic product is actually inspected,” Congressman Frank Pallone said.

Pallone said there are just six full-time FDA inspectors to monitor 3-million cosmetic shipments from nearly 30,000 foreign companies that come into the country every year. The lack of oversight has allowed potentially dangerous products to make their way onto store shelves.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20.....tics/

BH5745

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 6:08 am
I usually judge by the scent of a cosmetic product alone... The smell of formaldehyde based perfume is a good indication that the product is full of chemicals, oxides, artificial colors and thus cannot be good for our endocrine and other systems (or skin for that matter). I also avoid every cosmetic from China, buying only European and American natural brands.

There are good natural-ingredient based cosmetic products without harsh and toxic chemicals. Pacifica, Lagona, Lavera, Weleda, Sante, Dr. Hauschka, Benecos, ZuZu Burt's Bees and Yes to Carrots to name several. European cosmetic brands that are BDIH certified (International Organic and Natural Cosmetics Corporation) are safe and natural. Most natural American brands (Burt's Bees, Pacifica, Yes to Carrots and etc.) are probably safe though not BDIH certified.

Check the label ingredients before purchasing. If an item is full of chemicals you don't recognize or artificial ingredients (like yellow #6, perfumes and oxides) it probably isn't natural or healthy.

Natural cosmetics can be found at Whole Foods, other health stores, online at websites like vitacost or iHerb (which has inexpensive international shipping on cosmetics) and even at some department stores.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 6:28 am
This article is not very specific

Quote:
CBS2 randomly bought makeup from three discount retailers popular with teens and sent it to an independent lab for testing. Each product was found to contain to both lead and arsenic.

“Those ingredients can be absorbed by the body, into the blood stream, and in some cases can accumulate in the body,” Melanie Bennish said.

Bennish is an attorney with the Environmental Working Group. The non-profit organization publishes a cosmetic database exposing potential health hazards for more than 70,000 products.

“We have been looking for a long time at the regulatory system related to cosmetics and it really is the wild, wild west,” she said.

Bennish said while there’s a lot of regulation on the books for food and drugs, there’s very little in the way of cosmetics.

“That is what the cosmetic industry lobbied for in 1938,” she explained.

With cosmetic imports doubling over the last decade, Pallone said everyone agrees it’s time for change.

“We’re working with the industry on this user fee bill,” he said.

He’s introduced legislation that will require cosmetic manufacturers to pay a fee to register with the FDA. Those fees will in turn be used to better regulate the products.

Pretty pathetic what passed for journalism these days. It's impossible to judge is this is a huge problem or a tempest in a teacup.

Why don't they name the manufacturers whose products they tested?

Also, how much lead and arsenic was found? the FDA doesn't prohibit ALL lead and arsenic; rather, it sets a threshold on how much cosmetics can contain. Maybe these were well below the threshold?

And the legislation being introduced requires companies to pay to register with the FDA. How will that help? The article started off by saying that there aren't enough inspections, so many non-approved products come through. If companies have to pay to be considered for FDA approval, that will (1) drive up costs, thus making imported and potentially dangerous cosmetics even more attractive to the consumer, and (2) possibly incentive the FDA to approve products that do not meet specs.

happyone

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 6:55 am
And.... if it does have lead and arsenic ?
Won't kill you more than your skincare products , household cleansers, nosh, candy and many foods you consume.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 6:59 am
amother wrote:

Wait...are you telling me there's actual people who did not know this yet?!
Are you kidding me? These are well known facts. Any type of cosmetic, makeup, shampoo, conditioner, is not regulated at all, and if so very little. We don't know the effects any of these have on our body over a long period of time...

This isn't news. I've seen tens of articles in the past 10 years on this.
Are there honestly people who didn't know this yet?

Do you know how much hormones are in the milk you drink? I mean seriously we could go on and on, it's galus, the world is insane, try to keep yourself healthy with excersize, eating well, etc, and then you can slowly try to change certain things in your cosmetic or food diet.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 7:21 am
happyone wrote:
And.... if it does have lead and arsenic ?
Won't kill you more than your skincare products , household cleansers, nosh, candy and many foods you consume.

First of all lead is especially bad.

And foods are tested by the FDA way more than cosmetics like lipstick that we almost eat.

BH5745

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 7:49 am
We shouldn't be eating or worse yet feeding our kids junky nosh and candy. We also shouldn't be using toxic cleaners. And many people are worsening their skin issues with toxic skin"care" products. There are plenty of healthier alternatives out there, and we've got to learn to do better for ourselves and teach our kids the same.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:55 am
Check out Rachael Perry cosmetics. The lipsticks are gorgeous, and it's all vegan.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:24 am
Trader Joe’s has great cleaning supplies, detergents, soap, shampoo, cream, etc. for VERY good prices. Also there are a lot
of natural products that work well, for example I use coconut oil for makeup remover.
Cvs sells some natural products too, like Vichy and la roche posey - both are European, for some reason I’m under the impression that the industry is a lot more regulated in Europe than the US. For my baby I use mustela or aveeno’s natural line.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:36 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Check out Rachael Perry cosmetics. The lipsticks are gorgeous, and it's all vegan.

The products might be good, but theyre so unknown that the site that rates the toxicity levels of cosmetics has zero ratings on them.

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/s.....perry

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:12 am
After watching the news about all the toxins in makeup we use, I happened to come across an issue of Ami from a few months ago, with a 4 page spread on toxicity levels of makeup, where the writer/researcher recommends checking out all our cosmetics on EWG.COM

Out of 2900 lipsticks listed on EWG, I cant find a single long lasting lipstick.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
After watching the news about all the toxins in makeup we use, I happened to come across an issue of Ami from a few months ago, with a 4 page spread on toxicity levels of makeup, where the writer/researcher recommends checking out all our cosmetics on EWG.COM

Out of 2900 lipsticks listed on EWG, I cant find a single long lasting lipstick.

There aren't really...

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:27 am
LovesHashem wrote:
There aren't really...

I searched and found 2 Matte lipsticks with low toxicity, in drugstore brands, Revlon and Milani that have low ratings in certain colors, because matte lipsticks usually last longer, but I tried them and theyre not really matte.

gsamuel

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 10:47 pm
Hi,
I see that you are looking for makeup without chemicals, I have the perfect solution for you.
There is an international makeup brand, Arbonne, that is natural, vegan based and doesn't contain any
Chemical
Toxins
Parabens
Leads
SLS
Mineral Oils (which is a very dangerous part of gasoline)

They have all kinds of makeup lipsticks, deodorant, skincare, haircare, and nutrition products that are great and I've seen great results.
Here is the link if you want to purchase anything.
https://goo.gl/ms2Re6
or you can call me at [number removed for safety reasons]

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:02 pm
gsamuel wrote:
Hi,
I see that you are looking for makeup without chemicals, I have the perfect solution for you.
There is an international makeup brand, Arbonne, that is natural, vegan based and doesn't contain any
Chemical
Toxins
Parabens
Leads
SLS
Mineral Oils (which is a very dangerous part of gasoline)

A relative tried Arbonne products and her skin got irritated. She also felt the seller was way too pushy about buying and buying more and more.

Years ago Paula Begoun, who is considered a huge beauty products expert, had this to say about Arbonne. I dont see this review on Paula Begoun's website any more, but Im hesitant:

Arbonne At-A-Glance

Strengths: A small selection of basic but effective cleansers and masks; good brush set; lip balm with reliable sun protection.

Weaknesses: Consistent and pervasive use of volatile fragrant oils that are irritating, allergenic, and/or photosensitizing for skin; disappointing toners and masks; no effective AHA or BHA products; no skin-lightening or effective anti-acne products; several sun-care products contain problematic ingredients.

Founded in 1975 with the goal of providing skin-care products with "unparalleled quality and effectiveness," Arbonne International is a direct-sales line many of my readers have an intense curiosity about. There must be lots of assertive Arbonne salespeople out there, because no other line with this type of business structure has generated the amount of email we receive, all asking if Arbonne products are worth it and whether or not many of the company's outlandish claims are true. More than many other lines, Arbonne is big on playing up the alleged evil of many benign cosmetic ingredients. Topping this list is mineral oil, which the company maintains interferes with skin functions and delivery systems. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil is not a problem for skin and is in fact one of the mildest and most effective ingredients for making dry skin look and feel better. It doesn't have the best texture or finish, but its effectiveness is indisputable (Sources: Journal of Burn Care Research, May-June 2006, pages 345–351; Contact Dermatitis, June 2003, pages 293–299; Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46; and Dermatitis, September 2004, pages 109–116).

We have also been asked about whether it is true that all mascaras except Arbonne's contain bat excrement. Yes, you read that correctly. It seems many Arbonne salespeople are telling potential customers that all mascaras (except for Arbonne's, of course) contain this substance. We also found that many of the Arbonne representatives we spoke to love sharing the false rumor about lipsticks containing road-kill remnants (except for Arbonne's, of course). We wouldn't mention these tall tales if these were a few isolated incidents, but dozens upon dozens of women have contacted us asking for the truth behind these ludicrous claims. Just to be clear, cosmetic chemists are not venturing into dark caves to collect bat excrement or picking up carcasses of animals on the side of the road all in an effort to save money and create harmful cosmetics. And you have to wonder: If Arbonne products are so wonderfully effective, why do they need to sell themselves using scare tactics about what every other company's products supposedly contain?

Arbonne also advertises the fact that their products don't contain chemical fragrances because of their potential for causing allergic contact dermatitis. We agree with that stance, but it would give Arbonne more credibility if they didn't replace "chemical" fragrances with a slew of irritating plant extracts and volatile oils, several of which are well-known for their potential to cause skin problems. It is their overreliance on such ingredients that makes a disproportionate number of their products impossible to recommend.

we could go on, but to sum it up, despite my reservations, Arbonne has some good products to consider. However, the rather misleading marketing language is not convincing. None of the natural-sounding ingredients in the world can keep you from reacting to an irritating preservative or fragrance, or from breaking out due to cosmetic waxes such as stearic acid or myristyl myristate.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:07 pm
Traces of lead is in the food you eat too. Toxins are in the air you breathe.
Be real. Don't panic at every news feed.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:15 pm
Some Arbonne products have also caused serious liver failure. Don’t fall for everything that’s “natural” out there.

gsamuel, your posts are against the rules of this forum without permission and payment to promote yourself.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics