Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Flexible jobs for moms

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:15 am
I'm curious to hear from moms that have been lucky to have flexible jobs (meaning, can take off when their kids get really sick, normal hours... come back around the time when the kids finish school). I know that today it's hard to find these kind of jobs, unless you work from home and start your own business. I'd love to start my own business, but I can't do that yet because we don't have any money for investment so I have to find a job. My husband's job is definitely not flexible and he only takes off for jewish holidays, so that means I need a flexible job. He leaves at 7am-7pm... so I don't want the kids to be at school so long or be with a babysitter, I'm trying my best to find more flexible jobs, any ideas?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:58 am
My youngest goes on the bus at 8:30 and gets off the bus at 4:00. I searched for a job from 10-2/3. I found some options. I work from home on friday a bit, just answering emails. I dont get paid that much and feel like I am running all the time, but if I get a call from school saying that my DC is sick no one gets upset when I leave.

My DH has the ability to work from home. He did it once so that I didnt need to take off two days in a row from work when my dc was sick.

I also schedule all dr appointments in the morning and take only the child with the appointment along. It works out well.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:59 am
I’m a designer and my hours are 8:15-2:15, so that makes it 30 hours a week. I’m home with my kids in the afternoon, and I can take off when I need to. The downside is I’m 1099. So no benefits and I only get paid when I’m there. Still, at this point in my life it’s worth it for me.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:01 am
About appointments - I schedule well visits way in advance, so that I can get evening appointments. Many offices offer that one or two days a month.
Why don’t you tell us what your schedule is like, when your kids leave/ come home, and if your ok hiring a babysitter for part of the time?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:00 am
I teach high school (Jewish school, not public). I am home when my kids come from school. My vacations are not always the same as theirs, but there is definitely overlap. It's not that easy to take off, but if I need to occasionally it is usually not a problem. I have a pediatrician and pediatric dentist who have after-school hours and I schedule appointments far in advance for those slots or vacation days/summer. The downside of teaching is that there is a tremendous amount of work that needs to be done at home, so even though I am home when my kids get home I am not actually finished working for the day and and almost always have a pile of work to do after I put them to bed. Working in a school as an assistant or in the office would avoid the issue of work to do at home but will be less pay and/or longer hours.

Optione

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:23 am
I'm on an elementary yeshiva day school schedule. Once I have all kids in elementary school, I will be home the same time as them. I don't work in the mornings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics