Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Weekly groceries for a family of 5
Previous  1  2

abaker

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 6:04 pm
That's impressive op. Family of 4 and we spend at least $200 a week, closer to $300 usually.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 6:39 pm
WOW. I REALLY feel horrible after reading all this. I need to figure out how to budget better. The truth is I'm horribly spoiled with the food I buy. We're so specific about certain brands and items and the things we like to eat are very expensive.
We're a family of 3 and we spend a lot lot more than you. Honestly OP your post is an inspiration to me I'm now officially committed to figuring out who much I'm spending and setting a budget to cut down drastically. Thank you for your post!

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
The only paper goods I buy are plastic cups (which are washed and reused).

Wouldn’t it be worthwhile for you to invest in a set of plastic reusable cups? They would be a bit nicer and last a lot longer.

We spend similar to OP. Family of 5 and groceries are $120-160 per week.
I stock up on Costco items (ziplocks, paper goods, tissues, paper towels, napkins, cleaning supplies, detergent) about every 4 months.
I don’t know if this is an option for OP but I bake my own challah. It’s $4 for a 5lb bag of bread flour and I make 6 challahs at a time which lasts 2 weeks.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 8:07 pm
Op here. Thanks all for your replies. I cant really think of any ways to cut back. If one of the only proteins my son eats is yogurt im not going to stop buying etc...I did recently switch from always using disposable to real to save money. But after reading all your posts and knowing my husbands and kids tastes I have to just say I guess im doing a good job and food is just expensive.

RebekahsMom

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. Thanks all for your replies. I cant really think of any ways to cut back. If one of the only proteins my son eats is yogurt im not going to stop buying etc...I did recently switch from always using disposable to real to save money. But after reading all your posts and knowing my husbands and kids tastes I have to just say I guess im doing a good job and food is just expensive.

You’re doing great. Stuff is just expensive lately. I spend much more on a family of 4.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:21 am
amother wrote:

You said goodye to diposables? Applause

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 5:48 am
amother wrote:
really, be proud of yourself. We’re a family of 3 and we spend more...
And please don’t cut back on yogurts... that’s a basic.

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 5:59 am
We spend less on food ( as a generation and as Americans) than previous generations and than most people around in the world, in terms of percentage of income. People talk about me working to put bread on the table, but really Most people are working to pay the mortgage and tuition.

DVOM

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 7:30 am
We spend about 300 a week for a family of 6. I try to keep it to 250, and put the extra 50 in savings, but most weeks I need the full 300. My kids are big at this point and eat real meals. I'd also say we shop very frugally and eat simple foods.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:18 am
SuperWify wrote:
really, be proud of yourself. We’re a family of 3 and we spend more...
And please don’t cut back on yogurts... that’s a basic.

I disagree. We keep cholov yisrael oot which is very expensive. Yogurts are strictly for shabbos in my house.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics