Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What will Brooklyn look like in 15 years?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:42 pm
fleetwood wrote:
My kids Bklyn school is absolutely thriving as is my Madison area neighborhood. It is not old people snatching up the houses. Young couples are buying in my area at fast rate. My shul which expanded about three yes ago is expanding again. I don't see a decline in my Flatbush neighborhood. And I don't see older people buying,as a matter of fact they are downsizing and selling to a mix of ashkenaz and Sephardic couples. The local schools including mine has plenty of kids. Yeshiva of Flatbush has 8 kindergarten classes,and in my kids school they turn away kids. As someone who is living here, I actually see tremendous growth and new constructions all over.

You misunderstood. Nobody is saying older people are buying houses in Bklyn. They are obviously not. The reason Bklyn is aging is because many of the homeowners are older people who purchased their homes back in the 70's and 80's for a fraction of the current price. It's interesting that you in say your Madison area young people are coming to the table with $200,000+ in cash for the down payment and buying small homes with no driveway for close to a million. Almost everyone responding here says exactly the opposite. I suspect your confusing wishful thinking with reality.

crust

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Also not water girl. Baltimore.

I looked up Baltimore. There are houses for 150k. How much is a 4 or 5 bedroom in the heimish area?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:51 pm
crust wrote:
I looked up Baltimore. There are houses for 150k. How much is a 4 or 5 bedroom in the heimish area?

There are a few heimish areas, more or less walking distance to eachother. Park heights is the place to find houses in the 150 (older house) - 200k (for a newer one) range, and you are most likely to find houses with 3 bedrooms and a finished basement with another bedroom. The seven mile and pickwick areas (7 mile is more heimish than pickwick) are more - and can be county or city. Both are more expensive, in the 200 range. I’m not sure about bedroom size. The newer homes in the county have 5 bedrooms and are in the 400-500k range. Huge and new construction. Not heimish.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:24 pm
I thought baltimore is pretty expensive....I know it is definately less than Brooklyn but I thought prices are not less than 200k. I am very curious of communities that you can buy for in the 200k range or lower.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
I thought baltimore is pretty expensive....I know it is definately less than Brooklyn but I thought prices are not less than 200k. I am very curious of communities that you can buy for in the 200k range or lower.

I’m currently house shopping in Baltimore. There are for sure houses under $200.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:35 pm
What about property taxes

turca

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:46 pm
Raisin wrote:
What is the secret of the sephardim? Are they ALL so successful?

Yes raisin, we are ALL successful! Very Happy

turca

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
I’m currently house shopping in Baltimore. There are for sure houses under $200.

Where In Brooklyn?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:15 pm
I moved to Brooklyn when I got married and am now here for 10 years. Living in Flatbush I do not see it declining at all. It may be that the rate of growth is slower than that of other communities or what Brooklyn used to look like, but it is definitely growing. And yes, there are young couples who move BACK to Brooklyn after a few years as well.
Schools are also quite full, my kids all have over 30 kids in their classes, and my sons' yeshiva has multiple parallels per grade.
In terms of jobs, no other area in the tri state offers so many therapy and special ed jobs, which are very well paying and offer incredible flexible hours, which is why many are loath to leave, and why many travel in as well.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:38 pm
fleetwood wrote:
My kids Bklyn school is absolutely thriving as is my Madison area neighborhood. It is not old people snatching up the houses. Young couples are buying in my area at fast rate. My shul which expanded about three yes ago is expanding again. I don't see a decline in my Flatbush neighborhood. And I don't see older people buying,as a matter of fact they are downsizing and selling to a mix of ashkenaz and Sephardic couples. The local schools including mine has plenty of kids. Yeshiva of Flatbush has 8 kindergarten classes,and in my kids school they turn away kids. As someone who is living here, I actually see tremendous growth and new constructions all over.

I live in Flatbush too and want to know what new construction?? Do you mean the millionaires knocking down houses and building new ones or are there new areas for new housing developments for families that I have somehow managed to miss seeing?? Basically there is no areas to build more affordable homes in Brooklyn, maybe some families trying in Marine Park/Mill Basin. Even there prices have gone up But in Flatbush?? I beg to differ. I will say it again. Lakewood/surrounding areas are where most of the young Yeshivish families are going. You can look it up. Lakewood is the fastest growing town. There have not been any Ashkenaz Yeshivas opening up recently in Flatbush. I remember driving with a friend past Mirrer Yeshiva, who wondered why they made it bigger, as most Yeshivish families were moving from Brooklyn due to lack of affordable housing. Maybe schools for special needs children are opening, but for regular mainstream? Lakewood is where it is at. New Yeshivas are constantly being opened to accommodate the growing population. Even the Chasidim (not sure which sect)are heading there. I read somewhere they have bought and are developments for their members to go.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Flatbush too and want to know what new construction?? Do you mean the millionaires knocking down houses and building new ones or are there new areas for new housing developments for families that I have somehow managed to miss seeing?? Basically there is no areas to build more affordable homes in Brooklyn, maybe some families trying in Marine Park/Mill Basin. Even there prices have gone up But in Flatbush?? I beg to differ. I will say it again. Lakewood/surrounding areas are where most of the young Yeshivish families are going. You can look it up. Lakewood is the fastest growing town. There have not been any Ashkenaz Yeshivas opening up recently. Maybe for special needs children, but for regular mainstream? Lakewood is where it is at. New Yeshivas are constantly being opened to accommodate the growing population. Even the Chasidim (not sure which sect)are heading there. I read somewhere they have bought and are developments for their members to go.

But I keep reading here about how crowded Lakewood schools are and how there’s no space for new kids. So how’s that working out?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:08 pm
turca wrote:

Don’t you you just love when everyone thinks we are all millionaires? 😜

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:45 am
turca wrote:
Where In Brooklyn?

I’m talking about Baltimore. Not brooklyn!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:08 am
dancingqueen wrote:
But I keep reading here about how crowded Lakewood schools are and how there’s no space for new kids. So how’s that working out?

There are also a minimum of three new schools opening every single year in Lakewood , often more.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 4:27 am
turca wrote:

Well, that would be nice. Smile

What do the less financially successful sefardim do if housing in Brooklyn is so expensive?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 6:27 am
crust wrote:

I actually came across a huge home thats smack in the heimish area. Its I think 8 bedrooms and they are asking in the $400s. This is a lot of money for this area, but the house is huge. http://m.brightmlshomes.com/Mo.....30727

fleetwood

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 7:15 am
Amother peach. No wishful thinking at all. This may shock you but I have a private driveway and backyard! In Flatbush! Pls don't faint from the shock🙄

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
There are also a minimum of three new schools opening every single year in Lakewood , often more.

I live in Lakewood and beg to differ. Which six plus new schools (for the non Chasidim) opened over the past two years? Lakewood has a terrible school shortage like Brooklyn has a housing shortage

WWG1WGA

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:33 am
Raisin wrote:
Well, that would be nice. Smile

What do the less financially successful sefardim do if housing in Brooklyn is so expensive?
work our bottoms off to pay the rent.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:37 am
fleetwood wrote:

Yeshiva of Flatbush is mostly Sephardi these days, as discussed that’s who is staying in Brooklyn.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics