Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How did your high school experience shape you? sem. app.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:59 am
My daughter is stuck on this question. Looking for insight from others out there! She has to fill out a sem. application. She hasn't had any major experiences that shaped her life, but that still leaves her needing to fill out something. She is a lovely, sweet, bright girl, I think this is a tough question to ask. She needs seminary to help shape her life Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
My daughter is stuck on this question. Looking for insight from others out there! She has to fill out a sem. application. She hasn't had any major experiences that shaped her life, but that still leaves her needing to fill out something. She is a lovely, sweet, bright girl, I think this is a tough question to ask. She needs seminary to help shape her life Smile

Normal question. I don't know a single friend who was not shaped by their high school, except for the people who had a really bad high school chinuch wise and didn't teach them anythung, but also didn't do any bad damage.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:50 am
Let her use her brains and creativity for this one.
It's a normal question.
Don't worry, they're not basing her acceptance on this one question!
Had she made good friends, had inspiring teachers, learned anything meaningful, done chesed, performed in a play, learned new skills? Write about it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:56 am
Thanks so much for the suggestions, it is actually very helpful. The truth is that she is not the creative writing type but is a fantastic girl in other ways, just writing is not her thing! Also, she is not into bragging about herself.

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:57 am
I'm not sure how we can tell you how high school has shaped your daughter. Smile Does she have a teacher or principal with whom she's close that she could discuss this issue with and get some personalized guidance and pointers?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:39 pm
doctorima wrote:
I'm not sure how we can tell you how high school has shaped your daughter. Smile Does she have a teacher or principal with whom she's close that she could discuss this issue with and get some personalized guidance and pointers?

I was hoping for some ideas, I realize you can't tell me how high school shaped my daughter. The truth is that she is an all around great girl but nothing specifically that shaped her, if that makes sense.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:45 pm
My high school experience led me to decide to leave for university after my junior year rather than become a senior, let alone go on the year-in-Israel program they offered which would have had me start university half a year after graduation.

OOTforlife

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:55 pm
One of the following could be a jumping off point:

A time that she had to work with someone difficult, or someone she thought would be difficult.

A time she had to do something that made her very uncomfortable.

A time that she had to persuade other people to participate in something.

A time that she had to teach herself something without any guidance.

A time that reality did not match her expectations or preconceptions.

A time that she turned out to enjoy something she thought she would hate.

Laiya

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:56 pm
imasoftov wrote:
My high school experience led me to decide to leave for university after my junior year rather than become a senior, let alone go on the year-in-Israel program they offered which would have had me start university half a year after graduation.

OP, this is probably a good answer, but the opposite Smile

High school ignited her love of learning, etc., thus convincing her to pursue it more intensely for another year in sem.

OOTforlife

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 1:02 pm
She might also find it helpful to google behavioral interview questions. These are questions that ask candidates to give an example of a certain type of situation and how they dealt with it. One of them may prompt her to remember a high school experience that shaped her.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:55 pm
I have no idea what I would say. I'd reply something neutral like taught me to work.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:59 pm
Was she involved in any activities such as yearbook, a school play, or graduation trip? She can write about how it gave her the opportunity to be a leader, help others, be creative, etc etc etc.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:11 pm
I learned that when I had friends and felt wanted in the group it gave me confidence and a sense of belonging.

When I felt rejected or marginalized it felt so awful. Like I was betrayed by those that I thought were my friends.

I learned to stand aloof to my principal because I felt attacked by him.

I enjoyed certain teachers who were genuine and were both very frum and accepting of others.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:32 pm
Thx everyone! These responses are so helpful! Gives her somewhere to start!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:45 pm
Dont feel bad! Your daughter sounds wonderful and uncomplicated. Just what I'd hope my daughter would turn out like. They like to hear some spiritual or lofty answer...I'm thinking I hate the seminary idea just for that. Why can't good jewish girls not be thinking about life changing moments and just live day by day as they are meant to. Sad

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:49 pm
Spiritual wise too....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics