Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Organizing/cleaning

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:59 pm
Want to help my daughter who lives in Israel for the past 5 years, 3 kids
I am not a critical mother. Really not. Just want to help her get a handle on her small living space & maximize it. She’s on board.
There are things in her control; things outside of her control.
Outside her control: her apt building & surrounding buildings, neighbourhood are filthy with garbage strewn everywhere. Broken steps, & old garbage strewn around. Was walking home yesterday from taking grand daughter to gan & animal feces every few steps. Her apt itself is very small.
Horrible condition. Paint (primer, why is that considered paint 🙄) peeling everywhere. She said her ba’al Hadirah doesn’t let them paint with a color if they wanted to repaint, only that white (I call it gray) paint primer. Mold in her apt getting on clothes as well.

Things in her control:
Organizing her place. She has zero storage space. Where do U put your big items (ie car seat) that are no longer needed?
I’m good st that but she isn’t (by her own admission) and I want to help her do that b4 I leave.
How can she maintain keeping things organized after we make some headway?
Her place is really dirty but I don’t think she notices the dirt. Ie grimy stove, microwave etc but She’d love if it was cleaner and would appreciate that. Would love to pay for cleaning help 1x week for a couple of hours but my sil was raised that it’s a waste of money & don’t think hed go for it. I think she’d feel so much better if her place. I know the lack of space is really getting to her.

How much do people pay for cleaning help here? She lives in ma’alot Daphne. Do Kollel couples splurge for that?

devash1

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:51 am
I live in beit Shemesh. The going rate around here is between 40 and 50 shekels. It's so nice that you want to help her. I definitely know kollel couples that have help especially if the wife works. I'm sorry I don't have ideas about the small space unless they have a storage space that they could put a lot of extra stuff.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:58 am
No advice
Just saying you are a remarkable mother to do this
I hear the pain in your writing. It's hard to watch your child live in conditions that are inferior (grossly so, it seems) to those in which she was raised.
Hopefully she is happy with her lot.
You're awesome to help out!

BA

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:08 am
Wow you asked good questions! From my experience living in a small apartment organizing can really help. Keep only items that are really used accessible. Everything else should be either given away or long term lent to someone who could use it. Or put in area of the house that is not easily accessible, some ideas: top of closet, a high shelf installed near the ceiling in a bedroom or packed in a box neatly stacked in the corner of a room or behind a bookcase. It's important to really differentiate between what is being used now and needs to be accessible and what is not being used now.
Good luck

tsc3

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:45 am
Car seats and big items that are not in use now are stuffed in non accessible spots around the house like behind the laundry room door or on top of a low closet or squeezed in the small space left between the wall and closet. You have to get very creative with finding space where there isn't any, places that would be absurd to put things in in the states become very handy in israel.
I found using boxes and bins for organizing everything is really helpful. And neat looking because u can stack it.
Also look up... place shelves and hooks up high, above dressers... that's all wasted space.
And the MOST important thing in my opinion is getting rid of all unnecessary items... that's how the Israelis do it. Trying to live in an Israeli apartment with all the things that you would have in america in your basement, attic and spare bedrooms ain't gona work here...
Good luck!!

slinky

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:59 am
Does she not have a machsan in her building where she can store large items?
I live in Ramat Eshkol and yes there are definitely kollel couples that have cleaning help even if the wife does not work. The going rate here is about 45-50 shekel, more if it's a frum cleaner.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 7:28 am
When I lived in Israel a few years ago I had cleaning help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics