Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O- owning a dog
1  2  3  Next

Have you ever owned a dog?
I own/ have owned a dog  
 17%  [ 34 ]
I wouldn’t mind a dog, but can’t get ones for personal reasons (allergies/ responsibilities/ rental agreement/ etc)  
 14%  [ 27 ]
I wouldn’t own a dog, but I enjoy dogs that other people have  
 21%  [ 41 ]
I just don’t like dogs.  
 27%  [ 52 ]
I am afraid of dogs (was this because of a bad experience, or were you taught to hate/ fear dogs?  
 19%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 192

RebekahsMom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:51 am
Based on the post about bringing pets to a party, how many people here have a dog?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:00 am
I'd get evicted if I had one in my current apartment, but I had them growing up. I probably wouldn't get one again until I was done having kids and they were all out of infancy.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:09 am
I had dogs in the past. I like animals, and particularly like dogs. But at this stage in my life I would not even consider having one.

1. My kids beg for a dog but I know who is going to be stuck with the dog walking, feeding, bathing, etc.
2. Dog's nails will scratch my beautiful floors. Or he may chew up furniture and shoes, etc.
3. Not interested in finding pet hair on my furniture and clothes.
4. It's another mouth to feed when money is a bit tight.
5. Living in a frum community, there seem to be a disproportionate amount of people who dislike/ are afraid of dogs and we entertain a lot. I have no interest in a situation where a family pet has to constantly be locked up in a room. It wouldn't be fair to make someone who is a guest in my house scared, but likewise it is unfair to bring a dog into our family and constantly lock him away for hours while company is here.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:52 am
I appreciate that dogs are affectionate and loyal pets, but to me, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

- I don't want their hot breath breathing all over me. It's hot enough here.
- I dislike when they jump up and scratch with their claws.
- I don't want their fur shedding all over my house.
- I don't want to train them to not poop and pee in my house.
- I don't want to walk them. I'm too busy juggling things and attending to the needs of my human family.
- Any time I have had to run out in the middle of the night with some sort of emergency, virtually the only other pedestrians I see are yawning, sleep-deprived dog owners in house slippers. I do not want to be one of those people.
- I don't want to walk around town with them and pick up their poop.
- I live in an apartment. Dogs need space to run around outside.

LisaS

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:58 am
Always enjoyed other people's dogs and like having neighbors with dogs, but am not up to being a dog owner. When I was a kid I used to go visit elderly neighbors and sit for hours with their dog, stroking her while reading, but the thought of being a dog owner never crossed my mind.

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:02 am
I used to have a dog and loved it, and when my kids are old enough to shoulder the responsibility themselves, I'd be happy to get another. My husband would be thrilled. But right now I have no interest. I don't want to deal with the responsibilities and frankly, after having children, I feel like love for a canine companion pales in comparison. For now I suffice with occasionally dog sitting for my siblings' dogs.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:45 am
Growing up we I've lived with 7 dogs, the most we had at a time were 2 though. But I don't have anymore, mainly because of expenses. But Ia dogsit sometimes, especially in the summer when families go away, we will take a dog for 3 days or a week.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 4:21 am
My husband and kids would love one. Pets in general leave me cold although I don't mind being around them.

We have fostered puppies on occasion.

Also - don't want responsibility or expense.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 5:21 am
Allergies are a factor here.

I like dogs, but have no interest in owning one.

We have had cats, and still foster them sometimes, but even though they are far less work, I'm not interested in getting one again; even though DD is married, her allergies still matter, and I want her to be comfortable when she visits.

In addition, I have enough responsibility taking care of SN kids, I don't want to take on a pet as well.

RebekahsMom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 7:14 am
I am a cat person- they’re cleaner and low maintenance. Scooping up poop once every 1-2 days beats walking in the freezing air.

My father has dogs, and has to leave family functions early because he needs to go home and walk them. I can’t be tied down like that.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 8:42 am
Not for anything in the world would I accept a dog...or a cat, for that matter. For all of Dr. Mom’s reasons, plus. Pets demand time, money and effort. I spend mine on humans.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 8:50 am
In my opinion Humans & animals do not belong to live together under one roof. Unless one has a service dog.

moonstone

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:10 am
Blessing1 wrote:
In my opinion Humans & animals do not belong to live together under one roof. Unless one has a service dog.

Congratulations. That is hands down the stupidest, most ridiculous post I've ever seen on this board. Seriously? Millions upon millions of people worldwide have had pets who live in the house since time immemorial, and you think they (we) are all wrong for doing that? I was going to explain to you why you're so utterly and completely wrong, but I don't feel like wasting my time on someone who wouldn't understand.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:17 am
As a dog lover, and a person who has fostered many abused and abandoned dogs, I just want to give kudos to all the dog lovers out there who are responsible enough to know that it is not the right time for them to have a pet.

If only more people would give thought and consideration to what is involved in taking in an animal and giving it a forever home. I don't care if it's a goldfish or a white tiger, every animal should be cared for properly.

Pets are a huge responsibility!

happy12

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:32 am
My son wants one. I told him when he gets married if his wife allows it he can have one.
In my house the rule is if it is alive, it's children.
If he does get one I would allow it to come visit but not to social events.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:35 am
We have a turtle and a parakeet.
Turtles are by far the least maintenance pet I've experienced.
Kids and pets do very well together.
I'd love to have the space and money for a horse.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:37 am
I’ve had a dog my whole life and I cant imagine living without one. I dont want to imagine it. There was a 5 year period when we couldnt have one and it was so hard for me. I have no words to explain it, you either understand or you don’t

One of the main reasons I appreciate my sweet pup now is because I don’t live in the safest neighborhood, and it’s very very helpful and reassuring to me that my dog sleeps in my bed and I know that she’ll protect me. Not only that, but the local police precinct said that the single best home protection is to have a dog, people who are prone to break in scout out houses before hand and stay away from houses that have dogs hanging out of the window.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:39 am
Moonstone, I didn't make a general statement, I just stated my opinion. Everyone is allowed to have a different opinion. You think I'm wrong & stupid & I think people shouldn't live with animals. It's not a matter of right & wrong, it's just a matter of opinion. That's it.
And you could've just as well conveyed your message in a nicer way than congratulating me on being stupid. Why are people always looking for opportunities to be rude & nasty whenever they can?!?!?!?

Last edited by Blessing1 on Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:46 am
I had one growing up. I don't care for animals, any animals. My kids want one, but besides that fact that we don't have much room for one and I'll be the one who has to take care of it, I b'h have enough two legged living things to take care of. I don't want to add the four legged variety.

We go to where my husband works (it's kind of like a hotel/house) for vacations and such and there are 3 dogs, 2 horses, and fish in a lake there. One time my dh bought 2 sheep, but we kept them only for the weekend because they kept going on the neighbors property and didn't let anyone near them.

kalanit

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:03 am
With my children practically all grown and out of the house (aside from school holidays), my dog is my constant companion (I work from home, so does DH but he often travels). I enjoy taking him on nice walks in my neighborhood but also have a pet door out to our fenced yard for times when I can't. Pets are a huge responsibility and certainly not for everyone, but for me the hair on the furniture, expense of food and veterinary care are just minor inconveniences - my dog is part of my family.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics