Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O- owning a dog
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Have you ever owned a dog?
I own/ have owned a dog  
 17%  [ 34 ]
I wouldn’t mind a dog, but can’t get ones for personal reasons (allergies/ responsibilities/ rental agreement/ etc)  
 14%  [ 27 ]
I wouldn’t own a dog, but I enjoy dogs that other people have  
 21%  [ 41 ]
I just don’t like dogs.  
 27%  [ 52 ]
I am afraid of dogs (was this because of a bad experience, or were you taught to hate/ fear dogs?  
 19%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 192

moonstone

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:13 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Moonstone, I didn't make a general statement, I just stated my opinion. Everyone is allowed to have a different opinion. You think I'm wrong & stupid & I think people shouldn't live with animals. It's not a matter of right & wrong, it's just a matter of opinion. That's it.
And you could've just as well conveyed your message in a nicer way than congratulating me on being stupid. Why are people always looking for opportunities to be rude & nasty whenever they can?!?!?!?

You're right. I was overly harsh and I apologize.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:41 am
Thank you

icebreaker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:11 am
When we move, which I’m hoping will happen sometime in the summer, we’re getting a dog. I never had them growing up but I fell in love with them as an adult. Right now, we have a fish and cat. My ex has a Pomeranian that we sometimes babysit when he’s out of town and my kids absolutely adore it. I have older children so they all understand fully the responsibilities of owning a pet. We adopted our cat from the ASPCA and she’s been a joy ever since (when she’s not sleeping lol). Torn between big dogs and littler dogs. I’m obsessed with poodles (standard size) but wouldn’t mind a little Maltese or Bichon Frise.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:20 am
I have a cat and have had cats my whole life. While I’m obsessed with dogs and love petting them and playing with them, I’m not sure I’d be a great dog owner. The obedience factor is a big issue. A well-trained dog is a joy, but an ill-trained, nervous, anxious dog is definitely not. With cats, they’re not gonna obey you anyway, and that’s ok Smile

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:22 am
Everything Dr. Mom said, plus

- Main reason: my kids take up enough of my mental/emotional/physical energy, I wouldn't have enough left for yet another Thing with Needs

- I joke that my two kids are my cat and my dog. Older kid is kind of rigid and finicky and intelligent and precise and independent and takes a long time to warm up to people. Younger kid is the child equivalent of a huge golden retriever puppy, affectionate and clumsy and will make friends with anyone. Younger kid LOVES dogs and will often ask me to cross the street with him so he can pet a stranger's dog (one of this kid's first social/safety rules was learning to always say, "excuse me, may I pet your dog?"). But for the sake of Older Kid, who has a hard enough time dealing with his little brother's chaos, I wouldn't get a pet. In fact, Older Kid once had to write a short paragraph in school about what pet he would want, and he said a fish, because it is quiet and can't get out of its tank Smile

- My sister HATES dogs (and cats) with a fiery burning passion (I have no idea what her deal is, none of my other siblings turned out like that), and I legitimately fear she would never visit me again if we ever got a pet. She never is cruel to the actual animals, but my brother has a cat that he adores and she constantly semi-jokingly insults it... geez, she's a character

- Not the best reason, but I do legitimately fear falling in love with something (after all, the more you give to someone, the more you love them, and pets do take a lot of giving) and then having to watch it die Sad I know, I know, better to have loved and lost and all, but it made me so sad to see 3 of my in-laws' cats die of old age, slowly getting frail and physically falling apart, and getting tumors and going blind... one died on his own and 2 had to be put to sleep to end their suffering and it just makes me so sad

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:33 am
bigsis144 wrote:

- Not the best reason, but I do legitimately fear falling in love with something (after all, the more you give to someone, the more you love them, and pets do take a lot of giving) and then having to watch it die Sad I know, I know, better to have loved and lost and all, but it made me so sad to see 3 of my in-laws' cats die of old age, slowly getting frail and physically falling apart, and getting tumors and going blind... one died on his own and 2 had to be put to sleep to end their suffering and it just makes me so sad

It’s not that bad. When Charlotte died, I felt sad, but not like, devastated, and I’m a very sensitive person. With pets, you just kinda know it’s gonna happen at some point.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:59 am
I had a dog almost for my whole life before I got married. She was like our family. But now I married and moved and in our community nobody I know has a dog.
Our rav holds that dogs are muktzah shabbot and I won't get a dog if I can't pet it on Shabbot. That's too sad for me.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:02 pm
Seashells wrote:
I had a dog almost for my whole life before I got married. She was like our family. But now I married and moved and in our community nobody I know has a dog.
Our rav holds that dogs are muktzah shabbot and I won't get a dog if I can't pet it on Shabbot. That's too sad for me.

I was told that other people's dogs are muktzah, but if you have one you can pet it -- you're not expected to neglect your own pet on shabbos. I've no source; just told this by my rabbi many years ago.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I was told that other people's dogs are muktzah, but if you have one you can pet it -- you're not expected to neglect your own pet on shabbos. I've no source; just told this by my rabbi many years ago.

Same. By a dayan actually.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:

That’s what I heard as well!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:

We had multiple dogs and were told we could touch them to take care of them, but not to just stam pet. We could play fetch and other games that didn't involve scratching and tickling and cuddling...

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:12 pm
I'm not an animal lover, but I caved in and said we could get a rescue dog once the kids were old enough to take care of it. I'm happy to make those occasional trips to the vet for checkups, but I don't have to feed her, walk her, or bathe her, unless I want to. And I got to choose the dog at the shelter, because I'm a bit fearful of pit bulls and German shepherds, and dh didn't want anything too small. We ended up with a beagle. I don't let the dog jump on me, sit on me, or lick my face. But she loves me anyway. (Probably because I dangle spaghetti in front of her to eat when that's what we're having for dinner. It's hysterical!)
The rule in the house is that if the kids don't take care of her, she goes back to the shelter. Simple as that. It's taught them to be responsible for another living thing.
I used to say we could only get a dog if we bought a house with a yard sooooo big, I couldn't see the dog when it was outside. Yeah. That didn't happen.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:15 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
We had multiple dogs and were told we could touch them to take care of them, but not to just stam pet. We could play fetch and other games that didn't involve scratching and tickling and cuddling...

Yes, this is what I'm told.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:17 pm
I picked the second choice. I wouldn’t mind owning one, but I’m not interested in being responsible for taking care of it. If I lived on a huge ranch and could hire someone to take care of it, then I’d get a dog😀

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:42 pm
I'm another one who likes dogs (I'm much more of a cat person, but dogs are nice too) but could never own one because I struggle enough with the responsibilities I already have, and if I'm going to expend more time, energy, and money on something, I'd rather that something be children. Also, one of my kids is absolutely terrified of dogs, and this isn't for lack of trying (all my other kids like dogs), I even tried introducing him to trained therapy dogs and it didn't work. At this point, I've accepted he's never going to like dogs (he's a cat person, like me) and that's alright. The priority now is teaching him not to openly panic when a dog gets too close for his liking.

I actually can't handle any pets right now. Over the summer, one kid came home from camp one day with a goldfish, and no joke, in the three weeks we had that goldfish, I nearly had a mental breakdown. I ended up giving the fish away, and my kids were of course upset and hated me for about a week, but they eventually got over it. They would not have gotten over it so fast if I'd had a mental breakdown, so I did what I had to do.

farm

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:19 pm
I would have one if it was always outside and slept in a dog house. I think they're cute enough and lovable but would be totally grossed out to have one living in my house. The shedding hair, drool, smell, etc.
Someone posted a picture of their toddler curled up sleeping in their dog's bed. DISlike!!

Seas

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:43 pm
moonstone wrote:
Congratulations. That is hands down the stupidest, most ridiculous post I've ever seen on this board. Seriously? Millions upon millions of people worldwide have had pets who live in the house since time immemorial, and you think they (we) are all wrong for doing that? I was going to explain to you why you're so utterly and completely wrong, but I don't feel like wasting my time on someone who wouldn't understand.

Actually, owning animals merely as pets ('friends', 'family members') is a very new phenomenon. In times gone by people only kept animals for service purposes: dogs for security, cats to keep mice at bay, birds for their musical abilities, etc.

Seas

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:

You can pet something that's muktzah, you just can't pick it up.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 3:32 pm
Cat person here, but DH has allergies. I don't dislike dogs, though. They're just too much trouble.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 3:36 pm
Seas wrote:
Actually, owning animals merely as pets ('friends', 'family members') is a very new phenomenon. In times gone by people only kept animals for service purposes: dogs for security, cats to keep mice at bay, birds for their musical abilities, etc.

Thats not historically accurate at all. Certain breeds of dogs and cats have been bread just to be lap pets for centuries. Lap dogs were present in ancient Imperial China. And other ancient civilizations as well. Not to mention Adam harishon named the dog k lev because it was close to his heart.

ETA its of course true that dogs were bread to work as well since the dawn of time. I’m just talking about recreational pets now though.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics